TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake Squeal

Rodders

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I have joined your club finally and your forum...this is the first GT500 (2013) that I have owned, but had 2 Boss 302s and 5 Mustang GTs before that. I love the power and engineering of this new machine...my only gripe so far is brakes squealing at 30 mph or less. Never had any of this on the prior 7 Mustangs. I searched on the Forum and hardly saw a mention of this, and find it hard to believe I am almost the only one with this issue.

QUESTION: Any suggestions on what to do? Will it go away? I have tried washing the brakes and running in reverse and braking hard, to no avail. I hate to take vehicles into the dealer unless really necessary as they might screw something up. So I thought I would ask you experts first. Thanks in advance.

Rodders in Houston

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I have joined your club finally and your forum...this is the first GT500 (2013) that I have owned, but had 2 Boss 302s and 5 Mustang GTs before that. I love the power and engineering of this new machine...my only gripe so far is brakes squealing at 30 mph or less. Never had any of this on the prior 7 Mustangs. I searched on the Forum and hardly saw a mention of this, and find it hard to believe I am almost the only one with this issue.

QUESTION: Any suggestions on what to do? Will it go away? I have tried washing the brakes and running in reverse and braking hard, to no avail. I hate to take vehicles into the dealer unless really necessary as they might screw something up. So I thought I would ask you experts first. Thanks in advance.

Rodders in Houston

Welcome! My brakes squeal the same way. Based on what I've read, many owners are having the same experience, but it's entirely normal. Some have reported success in stopping the squeal through the exact measures you've tried. Like you, they didn't work for me. I will probably just deal with it until the car needs new brakes...

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Rodders in Houston

I was taught when I first started driving in th 60s that brakes have to be broken in also on new vehicles. Very gentle use of the brakes for the first 100 miles would prevent glazing of the pads and the resultant squeal. I never changed this habit and I don't know if it still applies to todays pads but I do know that squeal is very annoying.

• 1 month later...

Mine does it as well. It is just the performance brakes. Nascar brakes squeal the same way. Mine only does it under 10 mph coasting up to a light or etc. Has to be the type of pads they are using.

Archived