TEAM SHELBY FORUM

BBC TopGear S19 E03 2013 GT500 race England to Milan

shelbyeuropa

Just Aired last Night on BBC TOP GEAR “Jeremy, James and Richard engage in an epic race from Wembley to the San Siro stadium in Milan. Hamstrung by a rule about price, Clarkson maximizes his bang-for-buck with a £35,000,662 horsepower Shelby Mustang GT500 whilst Hammond and May pin their hopes to the ever-improving pan-European rail network. For the winner, tickets to a top flight football match. For the losers, only the stench of failure and a long trudge home. Found it on Yubetube in 5 parts. All 5 parts is listed but if you want to see just the SHELBY skip to ending of part 1. Hope everyone enjoy it like I did. Also There is a little history plus a Memorize to his life.

Part 1/5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bz52Wtnflc

Part 2/5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPUWQDDoS_E

I think when you are given free access to cars worth 250k+ for half of your testing and pounding, it skews your appreciation for something that actually IS obtainable for all and not just a handful of people. Most Shelby owners I know are on the edge of 1% er's, and almost all the cars TG rave over are out of of 90% of OUR affordable range. I dont know. I mean he doesnt insult it too terribly bad, but the compliments are all somewhat back-ended. Then they dont even let the stig drive the gt500 around their track to see where it would rank? WTF? I care about the Toyota Impreza (I know, its the 86) 0-60 in over 7 seconds lap time, but not the GT500? Its just a total lack of respect. I love the show, watch it always, but their views of the US are so jaded. They sure have short memories. There wouldnt be a UK if it were not for the US. They would all be living on Germany Island, driving Volkswagens to their labor camps.

The Sync deal was a good laugh though. I have had that fight a few times. That was both accurate and entertaining.

You are in a car with air conditioning, and cup holders Jeremy. It is cheaper than the Lexus you drove last week by 300k BP, only with more power. What do you want?

It was cool to see the picture of Carroll in Lajitas for the Terlingua 2008 event, and even cooler that I was there watching that picture being taken.

On a side note- Do European radio stations broadcast on even channels on FM? Or is he nit-picking? Sorry Jeremy, I wasnt paying attention to the FM dial, as here in the outback that is the uncivilized US, I have to tough it out with Sirius XM while I watch ROAD CONSTRUCTION and ACCIDENTS on the "motorway" delivered in real time through my POS GT500, that cost you the race buddy. I would continue this rant, but I have to check the weather map and movie times in my car real quick.

Agree with you 100% Dubbs! The GT500 has more power and speed then just about everything he normally drives for three times the money. He didn't totally rip on it, but he tried to really hate it. They did do a nice job on the photos and some history of Shelby. I'm surprised they didn't mention his wins at Lemans in the Aston as that is also an important part of his history over there. They must not want to say that the tall Texan American ripped up their boys in their own iron too. It is neat to see how important Terlingua 2008 was to the Carroll Shelby history. I'm so glad that my wife and I were able to be a part of that history with the luck of a picture of a dog and a rabbit we took! Sharon must really like it since that's her car he's sitting on in that photo which is now history.

It will be interesting to see what they think of the 2015 when it becomes a world car sold over there also.

I do believe that the 2014 Mustang will be the last of the true raw mean muscle cars. While I will be getting a 2015 for a daily driver, it is going to be a very different car. I think it will be much more "refined" as Jeremy would say. While I think it will be an amazing car and will hopefully be a good transition for the Mustang, I do think it will loose some of that raw muscle feel even if it is just as fast.

You just have to take TG for what it is an entertainment show We all know JC does not like American cars so we all knew what was coming Did you spot the camera van in a few shots in front, and who would try and drive to a football stadium on a match day On last nights show he did mention that people had been talking about the mustang all week

Still good entertainment, and for me the Mustang is still the the most exciting car to drive and should only be bought in the US

After all it is an American icon

I will not argue on the fact that BBC TOP GEAR is a little bias but I would agree that the American Automobile would not stand against some European and Asian Automobiles. Just as in 1962 even CS knew that there was no American Automobile that could go against the Fastest European Automobiles. But it's also not really fair to compare a £40K to £100K Automobile but I did like the fact that Jeremy thought that the power was great. In the past BBC Top Gear had tested a 2010 and 2012 Shelby GT500, Viper and a GT40 with similar results. There is no Automobile that can compare to the 662 HP of the 2013 Shelby GT500 engine and for me I like the attention that a European as popular as BBC Top Gear can look at the American market as a threat.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked it, they do tend to like to rip on the American cars, but it seemed like overall he liked the GT500, there is never any making them happy. If it is simple they moan about the lack of technology if it has too many buttons they groan about it being to complex and wish for the simple days of a manual gear box. It drama for TV, but it much more entertaining than the US Top Gear, however, I do have to admit that the US Top Gear is getting better, the guys seem to be bonding together and are acting more like friends than cast members, that is what makes Top Gear UK so much fun, its stuff we would like to do with our friends.

I do have to admit that the US Top Gear is getting better

IMHO - Top Gear US should just start over with three new hosts. It has the potential to be a great show, but will never get anywhere with those guys.

I think when you are given free access to cars worth 250k+ for half of your testing and pounding, it skews your appreciation for something that actually IS obtainable for all and not just a handful of people. Most Shelby owners I know are on the edge of 1% er's, and almost all the cars TG rave over are out of of 90% of OUR affordable range. I dont know. I mean he doesnt insult it too terribly bad, but the compliments are all somewhat back-ended. Then they dont even let the stig drive the gt500 around their track to see where it would rank? WTF? I care about the Toyota Impreza (I know, its the 86) 0-60 in over 7 seconds lap time, but not the GT500? Its just a total lack of respect. I love the show, watch it always, but their views of the US are so jaded. They sure have short memories. There wouldnt be a UK if it were not for the US. They would all be living on Germany Island, driving Volkswagens to their labor camps.

The Sync deal was a good laugh though. I have had that fight a few times. That was both accurate and entertaining.

You are in a car with air conditioning, and cup holders Jeremy. It is cheaper than the Lexus you drove last week by 300k BP, only with more power. What do you want?

It was cool to see the picture of Carroll in Lajitas for the Terlingua 2008 event, and even cooler that I was there watching that picture being taken.

On a side note- Do European radio stations broadcast on even channels on FM? Or is he nit-picking? Sorry Jeremy, I wasnt paying attention to the FM dial, as here in the outback that is the uncivilized US, I have to tough it out with Sirius XM while I watch ROAD CONSTRUCTION and ACCIDENTS on the "motorway" delivered in real time through my POS GT500, that cost you the race buddy. I would continue this rant, but I have to check the weather map and movie times in my car real quick.

I don't know about the price. I feel that Ford has made the 13 500's, as each previouse new model Shelbys, pretty expensive to where only what seems a hand full of people can afford! Granted that the Shelbys are not $250K, but face it, $91K,$80K, even $70K are not considered bargain prices. Now the older models that people are selling with low miles, those are good buys and I consider more obtainable!

Just thinking about it, When the mustang was designed most of the lines where taken from Europe? And now our Auto-makers are looking into Europe again for design. It seems that not only do we look at our Europe leading designs but we try to copy that designs trend. In 1961 FORD design the MUSTANG 1 as a concept car which let to the 1963 Mustang II. Same for the Four year run of the 1.4mil Mustang II's to be sold. My family drive nothing but BMW's my wife 08-325i, Son1 09-330i(M3), Son2 09-530i(M7) and I drive a 96-Z3-Turbo007Edition. I personnel would not buy an American car for long distant and comforter. That's just my opinion. By the way I love my 96BMW Turbo-Z3 007.

Archived