TEAM SHELBY FORUM

" So you want to go racing ? "

Kevin Patten

I was looking at some F150's just the other day. Couldn't believe how much it costs to buy a freakin pick up truck these days. Some were as high as $55,000. for just a few more bucks, you could get an F350 Super Duty.

Update on track car project: Found a well equipped Radical SR3 in FL. Thinking seriously about obtaining it. Everything I research about these cars just makes me want one that much more.

I have watched the Radicals run at one of my local tracks and them look like a blast. I know they say its a "cheep" alternative to a full on cup car or similar, wich they say will out corner :)

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MJN - there is NO CHEEP race cars and/or apparently NO CHEAP pickup trucks :lol: and I suspect there are NO CHEAP trailers either ! So you want to go racing ?

You got that right. There's "expensive" and "really expensive"!

We'll at the time "cheap" was being used loosely and referenced to some the other cars that were in the line up lol.

I can't even think of what it would be to do it on a regular base. Im still just trying to afford some novice events.

The only region that I'm aware of is the San Fransisco Region but there seems to be some interest growing in the Florida Region from what I've heard. Hopefully folks will start getting on the bandwagon across the country and get the group started in their region . The SCCA National Rules committee has already accepted the rules as they are in SFR and has claimed that if any other regions wish to add the class in their area they can. It just takes 2 people with 2005-2009 Mustangs wanting to race in the region to get it going no matter whether it be in the Northeast or Southeast or Midwest ... It is a blast ( more interior room than a Spec Miata )and you meet some of the best people out at the track .

I qualified 5th today (1:44.721) and Russ qualified 9th (1:45.561) out of 31 qualifying entrants in Group 5 for the first race tomorrow at Laguna Seca Raceway. Pole was taken by Addison Lee with a fast lap time of 1:40.355 in his SPEC MUSTANG. It's going to be some close racing !!!!

Just got home - I finished 2nd in class and second overall in 07SGT4755 and Russ finished 4th in class and 6th overall in 07SGT2425 in a field of 32 finishers at the 1st race at Laguna Seca Raceway. Tomorrow will bring race #2 - going to be another tight one!!!!

Here come the Shelbys !!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A little hotter and a lot more slippery track today (Sunday) - I still managed to place third thus putting 07SGT4755 on the podium for both races.

A big THANKS to fellow PCR Team Shelby members Michael McGuirk ,Tom Dankel ,and Tom Robinson for coming out to the track to watch and support !

As always a HUGE THANKS to redneckgt for all his hard work ( and Kathleen too ) and to my wife for coming to the track and giving support ( good sandwiches honey )

Next scheduled race is at Thunderhill Raceway Park in Willows, Calif. on the newly expanded 5 mile track ( temps to be expected around 100*F ) on June 21st/22nd.

Congratulations Kevin. I'm going to have to make one of these races and bring the trunk monkey with me. Do you have a link to the schedule?

Rick - check out the SFR SCCA website and look at the menu on the left side. I've missed 3 races so far this season ( they run 2 races each weekend ) and I've been able to move into 6th place ( out of 13 drivers ) after this weekends races. I know that I'm going to miss the July 5th/6th races @ Sonoma Raceway because I'll be crewing for Russ that weekend up @ The Rose Cup at Portland International Raceway in Oregon. He is running 07SGT2425 in the U.S. Majors Tour races there (going for National Points towards the Runoffs). Both of us need to finish in upper spots in order to get the Shelby namesake near the top in both Regional and National classes. We always are happy to get support from fellow Shelby enthusiast at the track. Hope to see you and "the trunk monkey" at the races soon.

Thanks all !!

Getting my car (07SGT4755) prepped for the next race at Thunderhill on June 21st/22nd (suppose to get to 108 degrees each day) by adding in a "Cool Shirt" system and going through a nut and bolt check. I'll be pounding down the water for the next 2 weeks just to get use to it and staying hydrated. I'll see if I can't set up some type of camera deal this time in the car.

Just back from the race track - got a FIRST PLACE on Saturdays race and a SECOND PLACE on Sunday! 07SGT4755 is a WINNER ! Competed on the Inaugural 5 Mile SCCA Regional Race at Thunderhill Raceway Park (the longest race track in the west on the longest day of the year) and won ! Not bad for a car with over 84,000 miles on the motor and transmission. I ended up not using the cool shirt even though it was 97 degrees outside at the beginning of the race. It was tuff learning the 27 turn course but managed to stay away from the numerous crashes ( I did have 2 wheels off at one point in practice - but was able to save it ) . The track was a handful being that it was fresh and because of how hot it was. I hope that Carroll and Jerry were looking down at me smiling and saying "good job" for putting the #17 Shelby GT in victory circle in a SCCA race.

Key note here : Pedro Rodriquez was the first one to win a SCCA race in a 1965 R-model GT350 (5R108) in Texas on Valentines day in 1965.

Maybe I just got the first one for the new generation Shelby GT in a SCCA Regional .

Well the "cool shirt" system is in and functional (never thought that I'd be putting back in an A/C system) . Kinda funny - now I have spent more money by adding in a radio and A/C. What's next ? :drop::spend:

Hummmm. Maybe a turn-by-turn navigation system for those 27 turn road courses?

Mark

Just back from the race track - got a FIRST PLACE on Saturdays race and a SECOND PLACE on Sunday! 07SGT4755 is a WINNER ! Competed on the Inaugural 5 Mile SCCA Regional Race at Thunderhill Raceway Park (the longest race track in the west on the longest day of the year) and won ! Not bad for a car with over 84,000 miles on the motor and transmission. I ended up not using the cool shirt even though it was 97 degrees outside at the beginning of the race. It was tuff learning the 27 turn course but managed to stay away from the numerous crashes ( I did have 2 wheels off at one point in practice - but was able to save it ) . The track was a handful being that it was fresh and because of how hot it was. I hope that Carroll and Jerry were looking down at me smiling and saying "good job" for putting the #17 Shelby GT in victory circle in a SCCA race.

Key note here : Pedro Rodriquez was the first one to win a SCCA race in a 1965 R-model GT350 (5R108) in Texas on Valentines day in 1965.

Maybe I just got the first one for the new generation Shelby GT in a SCCA Regional .

WAY TO GO KP!!!!!

Phenomenal result on what sounds like a tough track. 27 turns! I would have needed the cool shirt wrapped around my head just to cool my brain after trying to learn 27 turns.

Congratulations!

Mark

Congrats to you and Nicole - you're making me proud!

:)

Jer

Thanks all - I got down to 3:36.833 in qualifying but with the hotter temps later in the day and the fresh track everyone's times dropped off in the afternoon. I was running consistent 3:40.14's during the race. They were telling me that the track temps were around 145 degrees.

Congrats to you and Nicole - you're making me proud!

:)

Jer

Thanks Jer - I think after this weekend that I've moved up into third place in the season points with the Shelby. Unfortunately I'll be going with Russ to Portland to support him @ the US Majors race and will miss the double race weekend @ Sonoma during the Fourth of July weekend (which means no points for me) and there aren't enough races left to be able to keep up / or make up by the season's end .

CONGRATS!!!!

If by any chance there is an article on this in your SCCA regional news, please post a link.

I have not heard of any other new-gen SCCA Regional win. This is great!

CONGRATS!!!!

If by any chance there is an article on this in your SCCA regional news, please post a link.

I have not heard of any other new-gen SCCA Regional win. This is great!

I'll have to check when next months issue comes out if they have anything in print. If so I'll post it.

Archived