TEAM SHELBY FORUM

" So you want to go racing ? "

Kevin Patten

Kerry,

Pull the trigger ! Gut that car and come play - you already have the rig and trailer ( Blue enclosed - me likey ! ) It would be awesome to have you come to the dark ( track only ) side ... LOL You know that you're already there. You could do it up as a tribute to the last Shelby Trans-Am mustang (Blue1969 Boss #2 car ) and you have an understanding / supportive wife that will let you do it . You could campaign to get the class going in the Northwest region of SCCA . If you come to Laguna I'll come to P I R or The Ridge. :stirpot: You can't just live on Chump Cars only :shoppingcart_:

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kerry,

Pull the trigger ! Gut that car and come play - you already have the rig and trailer ( Blue enclosed - me likey ! ) It would be awesome to have you come to the dark ( track only ) side ... LOL You know that you're already there. You could do it up as a tribute to the last Shelby Trans-Am mustang (Blue1969 Boss #2 car ) and you have an understanding / supportive wife that will let you do it . You could campaign to get the class going in the Northwest region of SCCA . If you come to Laguna I'll come to P I R or The Ridge. :stirpot:You can't just live on Chump Cars only :shoppingcart_:

Oh... It's on!

OK - So after taking some heat - here's what I'm starting off with suspension/brake wise on the car ;

Front

35MM adjustable SPP Front Sway Bar ( same as Eibach ) w/poly bushings

Stock LCA's with Steeda X5 Ball Joints and Prothane Polyurethane Bushings (6-218 & 6-220)

FRPP Outer Tie Rod Ends ( M-3130-R2 )

SPP Track Pack/CorteX Racing Front Coilover Struts ( Koni single adjustable inserts w/500 rate Eibach Springs and GC Caster/Camber Plates )

FRPP Lower Strut Brace ( M-5025-A )

Stock Shelby GT Upper Strut Tower Brace

Stoptech 14" Trophy Big Brake Kit ( slotted rotors , 4 piston caliper , SS Braided lines )

Raybestos ST43 Front Brake Pads

FRPP Front Hubs w/ARP Long Wheel Studs (M-1104-A ) and Open Lug Nuts (M-1012-G)

FRPP FR500S ABS Brake Module (M-2353-A)

Stock Ford 2012 SVT Sway Bar End Links

SPP " Shelby " Lettered Aluminum Pedal Covers w/Dead Brake Pedal

Agent47 Front Brake Ducting Kit ( Modified for (2) 2-1/2" front hoses into (1) 3" hose on each side )

Rear

SPP Track Pack/CorteX Racing Rear Coilover Kit ( Koni single adjustable shocks w/400 rate Eibach Springs , Adjustable Watts Linkage , and Adjustable LCA's)

Moser Alloy Rear Axles w/FRPP Wheel Studs (M-1107-A)

Powerslot/Centric Slotted / Cyro Treated Rotors

Raybestos Rebuilt Rear Stock Brake Calipers w/Stoptech Knock Back Springs installed ( eliminates parking brake )

Hawk DTC-60 Rear Brake Pads

Stoptech SS Braided Rear Brake Hoses

Custom Built 2-1/2" Rear Brake Ducting Kit

The wheels are Jongbloed 700 series 18"x10.5" one piece w/Hoosier R6 295/30-18 Tires on ALL 4 CORNERS ! :spend::spend: So,You Wanna go Racing ?

I'm flying to San Diego in 72 hours to pick up the replacement. Race Red with Black showing 13k miles with most of the susp stuff done already- MM C/C, Koni Sport's, HR springs?? Never heard of them, but hey what the hell I know a guy with a spring compressor!!! I didn't think I had that many mods done to mine until I pulled them off in a weekend! Got one of those handy dandy cordless impact guns and it's my new favorite tool. I just need some new hardware and I'll install the roll bar, LCA's, brackets, grills, etc. THANKS AGAIN for all the help on 733!

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Good news on the stripes. Can't wait to get out to watch some races. I have them all on my calendar.

I'm flying to San Diego in 72 hours to pick up the replacement. Race Red with Black showing 13k miles with most of the susp stuff done already- MM C/C, Koni Sport's, HR springs?? Never heard of them, but hey what the hell I know a guy with a spring compressor!!! I didn't think I had that many mods done to mine until I pulled them off in a weekend! Got one of those handy dandy cordless impact guns and it's my new favorite tool. I just need some new hardware and I'll install the roll bar, LCA's, brackets, grills, etc. THANKS AGAIN for all the help on 733!

Good news on the stripes. Can't wait to get out to watch some races. I have them all on my calendar.

Not to hijack but congrats on the replacement Fat Boss, carry on!

H&R are a very popular spring company. That must be what he meant.The Super Sport springs are Blue, Race models are usually Red.

BTW, my awesome wife got me a cordless DeWalt impact gun for Christmas, I LOVE it.

Congrats on your new ride! Let me know if you need anything from us.

Jer

Just curious what gears you are running? And is it something they choose for you as part of the rules or is it open for you to decide? Also wanted to say this has been an awesome thread to follow. Good luck with the races. Hope to see some video of It one day.

Jeff

The RULES dictate that we run a 3.73:1 rear end gear with the stock 5 speed transmission and any Miller Challenge cars that came with a 6 speed transmission are required to run a 4.10:1 rear end gear set . I just installed the Recaro seats today and getting things set for the required 6 point seat belts . SCCA requires a 4"x4" steel plate to be welded on the back side of the floor where the seat belt gets anchored ( on the side of the tunnel ) which means that I had to remove the old parking brake bracket in the tunnel . I'll go into some of the fabrication stuff in the later post . Right now just getting stuff in place to figure out how I want the roll cage routed since we are only allowed a 6 point contact configuration .

The required min. weight is 3475 with driver as you come off of the track and YES they do check after each race (so far this season). Let me get some more done this weekend and we'll put it back on the scales next week and I'll give you an update .

The required min. weight is 3475 with driver as you come off of the track and YES they do check after each race (so far this season). Let me get some more done this weekend and we'll put it back on the scales next week and I'll give you an update .

Im in at 3240. Then you have to add the fat a*** driver :)

It's a Shelby GT not a 500, you missed something

Actually svttim's car (the RED one) is a "body in white" mustang shell built into a race car which weighs in @ 3240 + gas and driver (with a healthy appetite - aka good living) and mine is a White 2007 Shelby GT "NorCal Edition" which got stripped down to 3,000 lbs. + gas and driver ( also a good eater :P ) but still doesn't have a roll cage in it (along with some other items right now ) and I'm still removing some weight while adding some to end up below the 3500 mark fully loaded .

Actually svttim's car (the RED one) is a "body in white" mustang shell built into a race car which weighs in @ 3240 + gas and driver (with a healthy appetite - aka good living) and mine is a White 2007 Shelby GT "NorCal Edition" which got stripped down to 3,000 lbs. + gas and driver ( also a good eater :P ) but still doesn't have a roll cage in it (along with some other items right now ) and I'm still removing some weight while adding some to end up below the 3500 mark fully loaded .

Correct, except thats minus the driver. Body in white is not a GT, a GT500 or a six, its whatever you want it to be since it never has a VIN. Mine was built with GT500 parts but retains a 4.6 based 5 liter. Has a Boss 302R tranny and Im running 373's as well. Car is making a tad over 4 at the wheels and is class limited

My apologies then, I thought he was asking about your car.

No worries Jeff . I think that it's great that we have options for racing our cars. Both SCCA and NASA provide more than one class for us to build cars for if we so desire to do that to our cars and wallets B) Let's go racing ! :superhero:

No worries Jeff . I think that it's great that we have options for racing our cars. Both SCCA and NASA provide more than one class for us to build cars for if we so desire to do that to our cars and wallets B) Let's go racing ! :superhero:

Yea, that wallet thing :censored:

Yea, that wallet thing :censored:

Trust me I know that the build is only part of it - operating costs/maintenance are going to hurt just as bad ! :drop: I'm placing a lot of trust in a 83,000 mile motor and transmission for now and praying that it doesn't bite me in the a$$ / wallet for a while .

Archived