TEAM SHELBY FORUM

" So you want to go racing ? "

Kevin Patten

I had not got to that yet Kerry - Thanks for the tip - keep 'em coming !

This is what i was telling you about Kevin, I think they have even lighter ones just need to make sure specs are the same or close to stock ...

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So by popular request I'm going to continue the build thread of SGT-C # 4755 here instead of on the " White SGT " thread . I bought the car used for a good price with 83,000 miles on it with the intention of building it into a SCCA SPEC MUSTANG class race car. Watch here for the posts on the build . KP

Hey, I'm going to be racing SPEC Mustang -- getting SCCA licensed next week. You gonna be ready to go?

This is what i was telling you about Kevin, I think they have even lighter ones just need to make sure specs are the same or close to stock ...

Yes there is lighter, OK for the 1/4 mile but IMO nothing with specs I would want to rely on for extended track time. or daliy use.

This above Braile in photo was my compromise.

Hey, I'm going to be racing SPEC Mustang -- getting SCCA licensed next week. You gonna be ready to go?

I take it that you will be renting a car or did you buy one ? Better take rain tires to the school - they usually get rain . See you at the track !

Your probably all over it already, but here's an easy savings of 9lbs

Bolted in using the OEM hold down with a minor strap modification.

P2120003.jpg

Kerry, the rules only state that it has to be in the stock location - so I like this braille set up - what is the part # ? and what type of load capacity is it ? Trying not to have to have the alternator working so hard during the race . Thanks , KP

Kerry, the rules only state that it has to be in the stock location - so I like this braille set up - what is the part # ? and what type of load capacity is it ? Trying not to have to have the alternator working so hard during the race . Thanks , KP

This is the one I decided on, I purchased it thru Jegs or Summitt

http://www.braillebattery.com/index.php/braille/product_batteries/b3121

Here is the complete list of Braile light weight options

http://www.braillebattery.com/index.php/braille/product_series/lightweight_agm

Digging this thread!!! Guess Team Shelby is really stepping up!!!

The Regional Director for South Atlantic Bob Zinzell too is building a SGT road racer....

Here are a few teaser pics of it in its early tear down....

1FD933B5-DF17-43F9-B343-5BA001AD8556-1014-00000083C3ECFDCC.jpg

25069632-5CA9-4A2B-81AA-6BCEB75C0114-1014-00000083C9E8884D.jpg

D2513877-680B-4541-9057-F95A3A57D4D6-1003-00000083342BF74E-1.jpg

I'll start another thread with his build but just want to say to all who are building a Shelby road racer specific vehicle good luck and keep the pics rolling in!

If you go to the Braille website, there is a lot of information there and if you email or call them they are very helpful.

Thanks , got it covered - speaking of covered - I think that I'm covered in caulking/sealant ! Spent most of today scraping off more of the stuff and only have completed the back half of the car - DANG - THIS STUFF IS ALL OVER THE PLACE ! I think it's even in my hair - UGHHHHH !!!!!

Welcome to Team Shelby Road Track Racer !

Bob Z is on the East coast ( Fla.) doing the black SGT (CSM#07SGT5471) and I'm on the West coast ( Calif.) doing the white SGT (CSM#07SGT4755). There is a new SCCA regional class called SPEC MUSTANG in which I'm going for here in the SF Region and my plan is to have a Shelby presence like Carroll did back in 1965 with the SCCA "BP" class. Consider these as "unofficial" SGT "R" models :superhero:

Welcome to Team Shelby Road Track Racer !

Bob Z is on the East coast ( Fla.) doing the black SGT (CSM#07SGT5471) and I'm on the West coast ( Calif.) doing the white SGT (CSM#07SGT4755). There is a new SCCA regional class called SPEC MUSTANG in which I'm going for here in the SF Region and my plan is to have a Shelby presence like Carroll did back in 1965 with the SCCA "BP" class. Consider these as "unofficial" SGT "R" models :superhero:

Between SCCA Spec Mustang and NASA Spec Iron, it seems like plenty of opportunities

for NA SGT's to play. Carroll would be pleased.

-Tom

Between SCCA Spec Mustang and NASA Spec Iron, it seems like plenty of opportunities

for NA SGT's to play. Carroll would be pleased.

-Tom

Like the man said " Stop rubbing on those cars and take em out for a drive ! " The best place that I can think of for a drive is on a race track ! :rockon:

Been Running my car for a couple years now. Its not a Shelby GT but its based on a 4.6 platforn. Running ST3 in NASA this year, not sure how much Ill run but Id like to get 4 or 5 events in. The car does not fit in any of the SPEC classes. I have tried the smaller Braille battery and cant say the results were acceptable.

Ruffstriped.jpg

Looks good svttim - thanks for the input and I have to ask - does the rr stand for "road racer" , "race red" , or "road rage" . You could go like Tim Allen and go RRR !!! :D

The nice thing is when you start with a BIW, it can be anything you want since it is nothing but a Mustang. It could have been destinied to be anything. Initially, my thought process was Rehagan Racing, the builder but Road race was also on the brain. RRR sounds good though too :)

As far as the battery, Im sur Braille has a battery that would fit the need. I think the dealer that sold me mine sold me one that was too small. It could keep up with the load but, at times, would not start the car.

I would have loved to have started with a BIW but none were there at the time and the SGT was . Both Dean and Bill have been very helpful in my build and have a successful racing history with the S197 . I'm sure that there would have been LESS scraping and CLEANING !!!!

Since we have several road racers on this thread, my question revolves around

the solutions for deleting air bags. I know there are plugs for the seats to return

the right signals, but what about the steering wheel and passenger airbag? (And

yes, I know the implications of disabling them for the street, but this is for the

track.)

-Tom

As far as race cars go - one SHOULD ( and possibly REQUIRED to but, check the rules ) remove the air bags from the vehicle . The driver's side is easy since you will replace the steering wheel with one that is a quick release ( I use a Sparco unit / same as a FR500S ,C ,Boss302S ). If you are going to reuse the stock steering wheel FRPP makes /sells a dummy unit to replace the bag on the steering wheel . If you are going to just run an event that requires the air bags just be disarmed then all you need to do is pull the fuses and relay from the main and SJ box ( pass kick panel) after disconnecting the battery and waiting for 10 minutes. The passenger side is a little more involved but can be disconnected at the plug and then removed.

As far as race cars go - one SHOULD ( and possibly REQUIRED to but, check the rules ) remove the air bags from the vehicle . The driver's side is easy since you will replace the steering wheel with one that is a quick release ( I use a Sparco unit / same as a FR500S ,C ,Boss302S ). If you are going to reuse the stock steering wheel FRPP makes /sells a dummy unit to replace the bag on the steering wheel . If you are going to just run an event that requires the air bags just be disarmed then all you need to do is pull the fuses and relay from the main and SJ box ( pass kick panel) after disconnecting the battery and waiting for 10 minutes. The passenger side is a little more involved but can be disconnected at the plug and then removed.

Yes, I have the procedure to deactivate the RCM and airbags for racing, which is what most rules require.

That will still leave the airbag light on, which is not annoying unless it burns out then the chime will annoy.

But it is the steering wheel that you mention which highlights my ignorance. When you replaced that, how

did you bypass the fault that triggers the airbag light?

-Tom

Tom,

I do not have an answer for you just yet . I'm still eliminating wires from the looms and have not gotten to the reprogramming yet . Still a lot of tedious stuff to do before going out . Will get back to posting pics next week when there is something bigger to show .

Darrell Anderson ran a NASA event this weekend with his SPEC MUSTANG at Sonoma Raceway and we were told was running 1:49 lap times. Looks like there's going to be some fast company this season . Not bad for just 315 RWHP .

Yes, I have the procedure to deactivate the RCM and airbags for racing, which is what most rules require.

That will still leave the airbag light on, which is not annoying unless it burns out then the chime will annoy.

But it is the steering wheel that you mention which highlights my ignorance. When you replaced that, how

did you bypass the fault that triggers the airbag light?

-Tom

Contact Rehagen, they can help

Sorry that I haven't been posting on the build lately but some things have to be kept secret . First race of the season was this last weekend ( same as the Bash ) Congrats to Addison Lee on the win of the first race and to David Ray on his win in the second race of the weekend. I went with redneckgt and his better half to Thunderhill Raceway to scout out the competition and watch . Spec Mustang driver David Ray got down into 2:01 lap times ! Who says you have to have a blower to be fast ?

• 2 weeks later...

Having the front and rear fascias painted along with the wing - should be picking them up tomorrow and the rear axle assembly . Driver's seat should be showing up on Wednesday and I'll be taking it down to Laguna Seca ( unfinished ) for photo opts on Friday/Saturday during the SCCA race . Ordering some Crow Enterprizes #11146PR six point belts in silver/gray to match the SGT color scheme . Still waiting for some silver stripes and other decals. etc...

Sorry for letting my girlfriend post pictures without writing anything... never ask a blonde girl to help you! :banghead:

Above is what we did today... Albino and Redneck working in the shop putting painted parts on and other misc stuff.... Oh and the seats are in YEA!!!!!!!! Now it just needs STRIPE KIT (hint hint) form Shelby Performance.

Anyways all is coming together and it will be on the track soon :superhero: Cheers and injoy

Archived