TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gas Mileage after CAI / Tune

The story so far - 14.3 K miles, daily driver commute of about 65 miles RT. Mix of some stoplights and interstate. Not afraid to get on it, not many places or opportunities to do so sanely. Realistically, car spends over 90% of time below 2,000 RPM (I bet that's true for most of us). Added JLT CAI and EVO Stage I tune about three weeks ago / six or seven tankfuls ago. No other mods but Flows.

Results: no change in tankful mileage that I can see. I am getting about 21.2 - 21.5 since the weather has warmed up. Mileage is more a function of the computer-indicated average speed- if I average over 40 MPH, I get over 20 MPG regardless of weather.

Comment: I continue to be amazed how unassuming this car is just driving around town, yet how really, really, really fast it is with the CAI / Tune when I go for it. For those who still live in the 'good old days' of cars of the past, I can say from personal experience that it was NEVER like this.

The story so far - 14.3 K miles, daily driver commute of about 65 miles RT. Mix of some stoplights and interstate. Not afraid to get on it, not many places or opportunities to do so sanely. Realistically, car spends over 90% of time below 2,000 RPM (I bet that's true for most of us). Added JLT CAI and EVO Stage I tune about three weeks ago / six or seven tankfuls ago. No other mods but Flows.

Results: no change in tankful mileage that I can see. I am getting about 21.2 - 21.5 since the weather has warmed up. Mileage is more a function of the computer-indicated average speed- if I average over 40 MPH, I get over 20 MPG regardless of weather.

Comment: I continue to be amazed how unassuming this car is just driving around town, yet how really, really, really fast it is with the CAI / Tune when I go for it. For those who still live in the 'good old days' of cars of the past, I can say from personal experience that it was NEVER like this.

I'm guessing the manual states "Premium Fuel Only", but have you (or anyone for that matter) tried B20 Ethanol? I won't see my car for a while yet and was just wondering.

I'm guessing the manual states "Premium Fuel Only", but have you (or anyone for that matter) tried B20 Ethanol? I won't see my car for a while yet and was just wondering.

Sounds like sleeping with a hooker without a rubber. Sure you might be ok, but there is a chance you can ruin your life and die.

I'd rather just put the correct gasoline in a performance car like this than try and save a few bucks at the pump. If any of us wanted fuel efficiency I think we made a poor choice for a car. :hysterical2:

So is your gas mileage based off the read out you get or have you actually calculated it based on miles and gallons of gas used?

Usually the read outs are way off from being accurate. I get about 13 MPG stock. That is based on actual miles driven VS actual gallons used to fill the tank. It has been consistant in the 13 - 13.5 MPG range on every fill up. This is about 90% in town driving. I only have about 1600 miles on the car. I have been using 93 octane from Mobile.

We have just 1300 miles on our car, last weekend I put 500 miles on it. The first trip was 300 miles on mostly two-lane highway that had a long stretch of crappy pavement. I was slowing down and speeding up alot, I averaged 21.6 MPG on that trip. The next day I took it for another 200 mile trip, all interstate with the cruise set at exactly 75 MPH - I averaged 22.00 MPG. I was very happy. I have been keeping track of each fillup and the MPG at each interval and calculating it with a calculator, and I'm finding the on board computer is pretty accurate.

On the first trip there was a straightaway as far as the eye could see, no traffic, no animals in sight so I ran it up to 130 MPH and then just let it coast back down to 70 MPH. I was really impressed with how smooth it was and how it hugged the road, 70 MPH seemed REALLY slow after that!

So is your gas mileage based off the read out you get or have you actually calculated it based on miles and gallons of gas used?

Usually the read outs are way off from being accurate. I get about 13 MPG stock. That is based on actual miles driven VS actual gallons used to fill the tank. It has been consistant in the 13 - 13.5 MPG range on every fill up. This is about 90% in town driving. I only have about 1600 miles on the car. I have been using 93 octane from Mobile.

+1 I avg 13 mpg in city...

DITTO!!!!!!! The sound of the SC whine and response is amazing!! Anybody on the fence on this performance option needs to pull out the Visa and go for it. The car will come alive and your ears will never be the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BillyRay Grabber in Phx

DITTO!!!!!!! The sound of the SC whine and response is amazing!! Anybody on the fence on this performance option needs to pull out the Visa and go for it. The car will come alive and your ears will never be the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BillyRay Grabber in Phx

No one is answering the phones today at JLT today. They are moving. I am ready to pull the trigger after a couple questions that I have get answered by Mr. Jay Jay Tucker. :happy feet:

looks like you've got me beat on total miles...who else is up here? I am at 9700 since August 24 06.

I have 7800 since August 15th. That includes no driving for 40 days while I did my Mods (I'm slow).

Milage: 8.5 on the road course, about 15 in the city, and on the hiway with the hybrid system operating--45 mpg. :headspin:

and as far as mileage...in downtown chicago traffic I get about 8-9mpg, average mph is 12-14 usually. On the highway I see about 19mpg (I have 3.73's and cruise at 70-80)... in regular city driving (not downtown, where I usually am) I get around 12-15mpg.

looks like you've got me beat on total miles...who else is up here? I am at 9700 since August 24 06.

9960 when I pulled in to the garage last night (since8/5). And I've never made a 2,000 mile trip.

12mpg city. 20+ at 70 on the highway. Same mods as Dgussin.

bj

I've left the factory "calculator" alone for about 450 miles. My driving is 90 % suburban driving in the 30 -50 mph range. Mileage has settled at about 15.9 over that period. I have 1100 total on it. I've dona a manual check on a couple tanks.....One was 14.7 and the other 14.5. The factory gauge is in the area IF you allow it to measure over a long period.

Dude -

When I use the mileage on the Trip odometer divided by the amount of gas shown as pumped by the gas pump, I get what the computer shows for MPG. I didn't believe the computer MPG at first, because the computer showed less gas used than the pump showed pumped (by about 0.2 to 0.4 gallons). So I naturally assumed the computer's calculations were FU without actually checking them. When I actually did check, I was surprised. OBTW, I stopped trying to squeeze a little more gas into the tank after the first 'click' and found the 'gas used' computer display to be much less off. I'll check again tonight just to be sure.

The mileage is what it is. I don't sweat it, just find it interesting. I guess you have more places to really nail it than I do in the traffic in which I find myself most of the time. The law of averages keeps my mileage high because I drive so many miles in a commute mode. I am happy with that. :yup:

My intent in posting this is to show the car is not a gas hog as many (outside of our circle here) may think. Those of you who are getting in the low teens, what kind of average speed does your computer show? I'd bet it's in the 20s. Just curious.

It's all in what you do with it. I make other choices to reduce my footprint on this planet as far as energy consumption is concerned. I don't feel guilty turning up the wick with this car from time to time. The way I look at it, the faster you get to that economical cruising speed, the faster you get the energy conservation benefit.

I have been getting close to 20 mpg even with my setup.

With this said, one shouldnt use the on dash system that computes your MPG avg as the gospel.

I dont think its as accurate as driving 200 miles and than refilling the tank and dividing the milage by the amount of gas it took. Driviing all the fords are the store I think the trip computer is generous ... I hope im wrong but dont think so

ps ... strickly HWY miles that is !

Filled up last night to check mileage. Had a long slow crawl going home due to a backup at the tunnel, so my computer showed 20.5 MPG when I filled up. Actual gas used was 14.0 gallons to go 280.4 miles, or 20.1 MPG. Error between indicated and calculated was 0.4 gallons, or indicated mileage approximately 2% better than calculated. Other calculated mileages have been a bit closer, but 2% is not significant.

Jay -

Comparing before and after is impossible since one can't duplicate the 'before' conditions precisely again after the install. 'No change' on average is very good in my opinion. I am more than satisfied.

Archived