TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'11 or '12 GT500 vs 5.0 choice

c5er

If the 5.0 is also a convertible, I'd like to think that the Shelby would out-handle it. I don't think you can get a 5.0 convertible with the track package, otherwise I would think that combo would win. Tires also have a great deal to do with the comparison. Stock 5.0s come with Pirelli P-zeros which are not the grippiest.

So I am in the market for a 2011 or 2012 Shelby convertible.

The shelby is awesome, however the GT 5.0 is doing extremly well performance wise.

The question is in a stock configuration, what will work better when the road goes curvey?

Traded my 2012 5.0 in on my 2012 Shelby SVTPP. Both were bone stock and both are both great cars. However, I like the Shelby better in all categories of handling. As long as the tires are warm, the car sticks to the road like glue in the corners. When it comes to raw power, you cannot beat the Shelby. Unless you want an automatic transmission, go with GT500.

The GT500 has more power but will cost you more, I have nothing bad to say about my GT500, if your a car guy and you don't mind the price take the GT500 I think you will be happy.

I was in the same boat, looked at 2013 GT vs used GT500 - chose the GT500 (though coupe) because of the stock power, sound, and "Shelby-factor" of the GT500 where it's not just another Mustang.

When I told my wife that I'd like the Mustang (or the other cars at which we were looking) but may want to get out of it in a few years as typical for me, versus the GT500 where I'd want to keep it and never get rid of it, it sealed the deal for both of us and happily got the GT500 - and absolutely 0 regrets after nearly a year

Both cars are fantastic, and I don't think you could go wrong. I always wanted the Shelby, but the cost was steering me towards a loaded 5.0. Look around. There are several great deals on new 2012 GT500s which make the prices similar. When the price is so close, there's no question which you should buy. Get a Shelby, you won't regret it! Mine is great when the road goes curvy!

i will say the shelby also. i was looking at a new 5.0l when i bought my shelby. ive never looked back. that said, there are a lot of local guys here putting a single 8psi turbo on the 5.0 and its really waking these cars up for not much coin

• 1 month later...

Go with the Shelby. I have an 11 Shelby that has over 30k miles on it already. I take it to the road course all the time. Lots of fun with it. Have no problem with the turns. Mine is still bone stock too. No mods yet.

Archived