TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Return of the Razors??? - ADDED POLL INFO

Z-man

Razor Customer Demand Info  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a set of Razors if they were made with the correct offset to fit your car?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you buy your wheels all the smae width, or opt for wider rear rims?

• All four wheels the same width
    • Wider rear rims
  3. 3. What color/finish would you buy?

• Chrome
    • Gun Metal
    • Silver (Painted)
    • Black
    • Brushed finish with a polished wheel lip
  4. 4. How many wheels would you buy?

• one (as a spare for current)
    • two
    • four (one complete set)
    • five (full set plus a spare)
    • 6 or more
  5. 5. If available, would you buy them with tires mounted on them and TMPS, ready to install?

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. What size diameter rim do you prefer?

• 18"
    • 19"
    • 20"
  7. 7. What size widths do you prefer? (you can choose up to two sizes - one size for front, and another for rear)

• 9"
    • 9.5"
    • 10"
    • 10.5"
    • 11"
    • 11.5"

steeda makes a 20x11" rear and that's the widest i could find without shopping for custom rims. however, they had 35 series tires and i noticed some rubbing on the passenger rear inner fender well. most likely caused by aggressive driving or driving up/down entrances at odd angles. my car is also lowered on eibach pro-street s kit, and i believe 11" is the widest practical width you can go on these cars. i sold the steeda rims/tires but had i kept them i'm pretty certain a 30 series tire would have solved my problem.

as for spacers, i tried that route with these steeda rims, which are offset 45mm (just like OEM), but in the end i couldn't find any that fit right. one set was too wide...the other set was too thin...the last set was just right, but the steeda rims would not sit flush due to the hub bolts being too long. to top it off, it was a huge PITA sending all those spacers back for a refund....

that being said, i scuffed my razors a couple of times already and would love to get a replacement or two. i also want to widen the my rear razors to 10" or 11", but would prefer to buy a pair already widened, so PLEASE do another run of the original shelby razors and make them in 20x9 and 20x10.5/11 without any additional markings other than "Shelby"!!!

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I searched high and low for an original set and gave up. Ended up buying the CS69 wheel which I love. I would definitely go after a new set of properly sized Razors. Believe it or not but I found a 20" set a guy bought several years ago. He put them on his standard GT. he was selling the car for $13k. He would not sell the wheels separately. He said everyone he talked to wanted the wheels. Almost pulled the trigger but did not want to deal with selling a 07 GT with 80k on the clock. With taxes,insurance, finding a replacement set of wheels etc would have cost me enough to by a set of Alcoa's. He did end up selling the car.

Consider doing a 50th anniversary edition.

Develop a special wheel cap to match

Brushed aluminum with polished lip sounds awesome.

Also offer a silver center to match the stripes on the 07-08 GT's. If it looks factory, it looks better.

Staggered fitment for sure.

Offer 18-20". My 20"CS69 fill the wheel well beautifully with the staggered setup.

I've investigated this, and my feeling is that Wheel Pros (who now own AR) will make a 24mm again, and the general market will see them again.

Doesn't YET seem to represent a need or opportunity for SPP to be involved. But I've let all the parties involved know we would be happy to get in the mix if needed.

It's still MY favorite wheel, and if I felt they weren't going to be around anymore, I'd proactively get behind it as an SPP project. I expect a bright future for them.

Jer

Even though I have managed to gather a complete spare set of Gunmetal 20x9's with the 24mm offset I'd love to see them back in production so I can get a spare for each set.

I've investigated this, and my feeling is that Wheel Pros (who now own AR) will make a 24mm again, and the general market will see them again.

Doesn't YET seem to represent a need or opportunity for SPP to be involved. But I've let all the parties involved know we would be happy to get in the mix if needed.

It's still MY favorite wheel, and if I felt they weren't going to be around anymore, I'd proactively get behind it as an SPP project. I expect a bright future for them.

Jer

Any idea on the timing ?

Something else to consider. The Razors look best on lowered cars otherwise your going to have the 4x4 look.

The rears on this car are widened to 10.5".

Bad Snake -

Your car looks great with those Razor's on it. I really like the stance.

Since you had your rear rims widened, PLEASE answer a couple questions for me and a few other folks who are trying to figure out wider rear wheel options...

Did you start with a 'standard' 9" rim and the 24mm offset?

When you widened the rim to 10.5" did you have to change the offset or use wheel spacers? (If so, please give specifics)

What size tire are you running on the back?

Do you have any rubbing issues?

Do you think 10.5" is as wide as you can go?

Your answers would really be helpful because you've already done it, and therefore know what works and doesn't work. You are not just assuming or speculating, you can provide real answers.

Thanks,

Z-man

Any idea on the timing ?

I'll see what I can find out...

Jer

Bad Snake -

Your car looks great with those Razor's on it. I really like the stance.

Since you had your rear rims widened, PLEASE answer a couple questions for me and a few other folks who are trying to figure out wider rear wheel options...

Did you start with a 'standard' 9" rim and the 24mm offset? The wheels started out as 20"x9" with a 24mm offset.

When you widened the rim to 10.5" did you have to change the offset or use wheel spacers? (If so, please give specifics) The rear wheels were widened 1.5". to 10.5" with no spacers.

What size tire are you running on the back?The rear tires are 295/35 Nitto Invo's and the front's are 255/35's.

Do you have any rubbing issues at all? No rubbing issues at all. If you lower the car the rear axle will shift to the driver's side so an adjustable pan hard bar must be installed.

Do you think 10.5" is as wide as you can go? I know of guys that have widened up to 11" with out any problems.

Your answers would really be helpful because you've already done it, and therefore know what works and doesn't work. You are not just assuming or speculating, you can provide real answers.

Thanks,

Z-man

Z-Man Thank you for the kind words.

Here's what I did to get the "look".

The wheels were widened by Weldcraft, Weldcraftwheels.com . Widening and shipping $600.

The Ford Racing FR3 suspension is around $1,500. Tousley Ford might be cheaper.

Your going to need camber plates for the front struts and they are around $300.

The wax is XXX Hard Core from the chemical guys, great for dark cars, I know you wanted to ask...............

The ride is the same as the stock suspension but the cornering is greatly improved! There's no body roll and it rides like it's on rails.

Don't think you can't install this stuff yourself! If you can rotate your tires and change your own oil, trust me you can do these mods yourself.

Good luck finding your Razors.

Bad Snake

Z-Man Thank you for the kind words.

Here's what I did to get the "look".

The wheels were widened by Weldcraft, Weldcraftwheels.com . Widening and shipping $600.

The Ford Racing FR3 suspension is around $1,500. Tousley Ford might be cheaper.

Your going to need camber plates for the front struts and they are around $300.

The wax is XXX Hard Core from the chemical guys, great for dark cars, I know you wanted to ask...............

The ride is the same as the stock suspension but the cornering is greatly improved! There's no body roll and it rides like it's on rails.

Don't think you can't install this stuff yourself! If you can rotate your tires and change your own oil, trust me you can do these mods yourself.

Good luck finding your Razors.

Bad Snake

Thanks Bad Snake -

My car has a full Eibach Pro System Plus on it, as well as some other suspension goodies from UMI. Details are in my signature info. I too wanted to get away from the 4x4 factory look, as well as have the benifit of the car now actually being capable of going around corners. :shift: I did all the work myself in the garage. Anytime I had a question (like setting the pinion angle) other Team Shelby folks were there to help. The picture in my sig is older, and I should update it as it doesn't show the lower stance of some of the other mods.

I use "Ice" products on my car, but given the name of the wax that you use....well, maybe any further comment is better unsaid . :hysterical3:

You gave us all a lot of good info...thanks, :salute:

Z-man

if the offset to be 24mm ,,what is a good back space ,,,all mine say 24mm on the AR box they all came in but what is the meaning of the back spacing ,,which is how the wheel will sit inside the wheel well ,351155-R1-03-22A.jpg

351155-R1-01-24A.jpg,,when I first got my set of 4 ,,,I had to send one back ,,that had a different back spacing to the seller ,,,which he did send me one the match up to the other 3 I had ,,,,here is a picture below of the first set of 4 I got ,,you can see that one is different

351155-R1-01-24A.jpg,,when I first got my set of 4 ,,,I had to send one back ,,that had a different back spacing to the seller ,,,which he did send me one the match up to the other 3 I had ,,,,here is a picture below of the first set of 4 I got ,,you can see that one is different

351155-R1-02-23A.jpg

Sorry, black is best! :hysterical: I also hope for the return of the Razors. I will need a couple replacements here someday or I'll have to have mine blasted and powder coated as they do have some chips still from the 2008 Terlingua Bull Run. I'd like them to be perfect someday. But if they make new ones with a couple of 10's, I'd go that route!

My wife wants chrome ones on her 500 and I an thinking about going with the silver ones. I hope the back spacing issue can be made simple. I would like to order a set and know that they fit the 2007 - 2009 GT500 with the factory brakes.

My wife wants chrome ones on her 500 and I an thinking about going with the silver ones. I hope the back spacing issue can be made simple. I would like to order a set and know that they fit the 2007 - 2009 GT500 with the factory brakes.

And I hope they build them like they first did with the correct backspacing. The backspacing actually has nothing to do with them fitting over the Brembo's. It's the actual construction of the center of the wheels. The ones that were built earlier had more curvature to the spokes which allowed them to curve out and over the brake calipers. The newer ones were built with a flatter spoke (if that makes sense) which would then run into the brake caliper. Not sure if you ever saw the thread where I posted detailed pictures of what I'm talking about:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70742-can-anyone-help-with-shelby-razors/page__p__1211179__hl__razor__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=1211179

And I hope they build them like they first did with the correct backspacing. The backspacing actually has nothing to do with them fitting over the Brembo's. It's the actual construction of the center of the wheels. The ones that were built earlier had more curvature to the spokes which allowed them to curve out and over the brake calipers. The newer ones were built with a flatter spoke (if that makes sense) which would then run into the brake caliper. Not sure if you ever saw the thread where I posted detailed pictures of what I'm talking about:

http://www.teamshelb..._1#entry1211179

If they do not build them to fit over the GT500 Brembo brakes correctly.....I will NOT buy them. I am not messing around with spacers. Hopefully someone is watching this thread and gathering a data trend from customers.

If they do not build them to fit over the GT500 Brembo brakes correctly.....I will NOT buy them. I am not messing around with spacers. Hopefully someone is watching this thread and gathering a data trend from customers.

I've always been completely dumbfounded and confused why AR built so many wheels with SHELBY engraved right in them that would not fit on 80% of the Shelby's out there....... why, oh why, would they do that????........ :banghead::confused::rant2::club: :hammer_self:

I've always been completely dumbfounded and confused why AR built so many wheels with SHELBY engraved right in them that would not fit on 80% of the Shelby's out there....... why, oh why, would they do that????........ :banghead::confused::rant2::club: :hammer_self:

If they build them correctly, I will buy 2 sets and a spare of each.

To try and capture 'voice of the customer', I put a poll option at the beginning of this thread.

Please go back and fill out the survey so that we can show those folks who are capable of actually making this happen, exactly what we want, in what sizes/color/quantity/etc.

Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Z-man

and please leave off any anniversary markings this time. most of us will be putting these on slightly older cars that do not coincide with 50th or any other special anniversary nonsense. just kick em out as they were when they came out but with a wider option! you could save the special edition badging for some new center caps for those who care about that stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I would buy 4 in a heart beat if you would make a special R16 set for me ;)

Its the only set I said I'd invest in, otherwise I keep it with stock rims. (and no, some razors from another place won't do, so needless to say: stock)

I'd love to see the Razors back as well, but in 18x10 configuration that will fit big brakes. I'd buy four of them, I would also consider an 18x9.5 for the front and an 18x11 for the rear. Gun metal would be my preference.

Archived