TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Canada

Can u take a SS to Canada? Someone asked me and I have no clue. He wants to get a Shelby focus and says he can't export.....can anyone shed some light? Thanks

I think only if he buys a Focus ST here & either drive it down or ship it down to SAI. The best way is drive it down.

That's just the way it works with Transport Canada. If you buy the car in Canada, get it registered and insured in Canada then you own a Ford Focus ST in the eyes of Transport Canada. When you take the car down to Shelby and then bring it back across the border, you have to pay GST/PST on the upgrades done by Shelby but you can still bring it into the country because you already own the car. It is still a Ford Focus ST in the eyes of Transport Canada, you just had some work done on it in the US.

On the other hand, if you buy a Ford Focus ST in the US, send it to Shelby and get the work done, THEN you try and bring it across the border, you are no longer bringing a Ford Focus ST into Canada. You are now bringing a Shelby Ford Focus ST and this type of car is not approved by Transport Canada and therefore they will not allow it.

I know this is crazy and it is just a technicality but this is the way it works. Check this site: List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States - PDF format** and scroll down to page 10 which shows the Ford cars admissible into Canada. There are many Shelby built cars that are admissible but so far a Ford Focus ST is not. This may change but the surefire way to get one into Canada right away is buy it in Canada, register/insure then take it to Shelby for the work. This is the simple way to get this done.

If you need more info, pm me as I have a large amount of experience with this exact problem and I'll do what I can to help. If you want to read more on the issues I had a few years ago check out this link http://www.teamshelb...tz-convertible/

Start reading about half way through post #54 and it will shed some insight into my difficulties with bringing my 07 GT-H into Canada.

QSS

Archived