TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anybody Going to Charlotte for the 50th in "14"

1967_fastback

I was wondering if anyone was planning on taking their GT-H to the Mustangs 50th birthday bash in Charlotte. We are going to start looking into hotels and planning the trip for our family. I just hope the Michigan weather co-operates and all the snow is gone when it comes time to roll out. Thats got me nervous.

James

I also live in MI. I am hoping the snow will be gone to, we are soposed to get another 3-5 inches more tomorrow, got to love that lake affect snow. The ground hog told us were going to have an early spring. What part of MI. are you from? I do plan on attending the 50th, not sure if I want to take the hertz. Maybe we can caravan.

I am from a small town north of Lansing called Ovid. From what I read online the Vegas event is a week ahead of the one in Charlotte. That way when the Vegas event is over te great American pony drive was going to caravan from Vegas to Charlotte. I know thecharlotte event is going to clash with Easter Sunday and that won't go over well with my wife. She wouldn't want to be away from her parents or my daughter on Easter. I was thinking about trying to talk the wife into going to Vegas instead if the dates were a week earlier. We both love Vegas and with it being in Shelby's back yard the car could make it back to its birth place. The wife is concerned about putting a little over 4,000 miles on the Shelby to go to Vegas. It is 1,980 miles one way for us and Charlotte is about 700 one way. Our car would return home from Vegas with around 24 or 25,000 miles on it. I still think that is still fairly low miles as I know some guys drive theirs more frequently. I bought ours with 19k on it back in 09 and I don't think I have rolled 21k on it yet but it is close. What do you guys have for miles on yours? I need to get more info on the show dates to determine if they are different or run at the same time.

James

I am planning to go to Charlotte also. As much as I would like to go to Vegas the last time I was in Charlotte was for the 35th Anniversary and the weather will be much kinder!

Well I was leaning towards Charlotte and then switched to vegas as it is in Shelbys backyard but due to the logistics of it on a Holiday week we are going to go to Charlotte. From What I have read on the net MCOA does not have very deep roots out in the west yet. I am surre there will be plenty of bad ass cars in Vegas but the majority of folks polled said they are going to Charlotte. This is a heated topic about the 2 shows and honestly it bums me out. I have been waiting and looking forward to the 50th since 08 When we bought our Shelby. I would not care if it was in California i would make the drive from Michigan. I was looking forward to one big show. There are rumors that Ford may do it's own celebration in Dearborn in the Summer and I would attend that show for sure seeing it is only a hour and a half away.

James

Interesting read. Everything I have read from MCA is that both events will occur on the same weekend dates with smaller Pony Drives meeting in Oklahoma and then departing east and west. April 13, two different Pony Drives will leave in opposite directions for Las Vegas and Charlotte.

Not a GT-H but I'm already signed up (#61), we plan on driving the complete Mustangs Across America's route-

Not exactly sure which Mustang to take, who knows by then we may have others :)

will be traveling w/ 235 both coupe and convertible. few other guys i know with shelby's will be caravaning. i may get another driver

and take 209. i can't wait get details on good hotel pass the word .....

all three cars are close to having 30k miles on them but not yet. LOL

I have a friend who works out in the are by lowes motor speedway. I got him scoping hotels for me and he is going to report back in a week or so. I just want to be in a decent area and would prefer a hotel that will have security patrolling the grounds at night. There's going to be a lot of money sitting in those parking lots. Im not in as good of a position as I was in 08 when we bought our GT-H and if anything happened to it now god forbid, i don't know if we would be replacing it. Just want to keep her safe. If anyone has been to any of the other anniversary events, did they have security at the hotels there? Just curious.

James

will be traveling w/ 235 both coupe and convertible. few other guys i know with shelby's will be caravaning. i may get another driver

and take 209. i can't wait get details on good hotel pass the word .....

all three cars are close to having 30k miles on them but not yet. LOL

Gene it will be good seeing you and your parade in Charlotte. I, maybe we will be looking forward to catch up again. I will pick up on the train from the Great Lakes Region.

I live in the Charlotte area. If you're looking for a hotel, I'd recommend finding something a little further out from the Speedway. Search in the Ballantyne area and you'll find plenty of upscale hotels including the Ballantyne Resort for you golfer types. It's only about a 30 minute drive from the speedway and you'll probably have a much easier time getting a room + the food and entertainment options are much more plentiful. Just my 2 cents.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I still have not found any current information or updates for the 50th bash as far as host hotels. I pulled the trigger and made reservations at the Best Western Plus Huntersville inn and suites near Lake Norman N.C. The information i was told is they are 15-20 minutes away from the speedway. I have a friend who lives out there and he informed me that the hotel is a half hour away tops. The place looks to be nice and my friend told me that Huntersville is a upscale community and the neighboring community of Lake Norman has a lot of Nascar drivers that call it home. Also At 65.99 per night for a 3 night stay or longer is for sure budget friendly. Just thought since i got my reservations locked in I would pass the word along to others.They also told me that once corporate gets the word there is a big event that week near by prices will be going up.

I am planning to go, but at this point not sure that I would take the GT-H. Right now I am only planning to take the GT500. I did find a hotel near the speedway at the Concord exit that is now showing sold out. My plans are to be there from the 16th through the 21st.

I am planning to go, but at this point not sure that I would take the GT-H. Right now I am only planning to take the GT500.

Decisions, decisions. Wish I had that hard choice to make. Mine consists of a couple fox bodies, A 67 Fastback or the GT-H. I think the GT-H and one of my Foxes would reliably get us there. I have been cross country in My Fox before. When we bought our GT-H in 08 I told my wife where ever the 50th bash is we were driving The Shelby there. I didnt care if it was in California. As far as the hotel is concerned it looks nice and we could'nt afford the $320 a Night that the Balentyne Hotel Wanted per night so I guess we will fight traffic for 20-30 minutes a day to get there. We are probably going to be there Monday-Friday and leaving Friday Night or Saturday morning so we can be back to observe Easter with our daughter and family. She wants to go too but We are not going to pull her from school for a week.

You guys won't run into serious traffic for this event until you get about a mile or so away from the speedway. It's multiple lanes in every direction and I doubt seriously it will be as crowded as one of the NASCRAP races, but then again I could be wrong. From Lake Norman area, you can take back roads to get there, but I would avoid the Concord Mills area near I85. Poplar Tent and other back roads will be a better option. From Ballantyne, you can head up 485 to 29 and come into the back side of the speedway. Most traffic will be coming off I85.

Archived