TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Do the KR mufflers (M-5230-S) stick out farther than stock?

buffalotr8

Hi everyone, great forum.

I am looking at pulling the trigger on a set of M-5230-S KR mufflers but just want to know if they stick out farther than my stock ones? If anyone has a photo of their KR setup that would be awesome, and even better if someone has an actual measurement (that is if they stick out farther) of how much they are different. Thanks.

these are badass mufflers if the rest of your exhaust setup is stock. sound is deep and absolutely NO DRONE. i don't have them on my car anymore because i'm running hi-flow cats, but from what i remember, they don't stick out much. maybe a tad more than stock, but they look great. do a search for GT500KR and you can see for yourself. pull the trigger and don't look back.

these are badass mufflers if the rest of your exhaust setup is stock. sound is deep and absolutely NO DRONE. i don't have them on my car anymore because i'm running hi-flow cats, but from what i remember, they don't stick out much. maybe a tad more than stock, but they look great. do a search for GT500KR and you can see for yourself. pull the trigger and don't look back.

What was wrong with the KR mufflers and the hi-flow cats. To loud? Is that possible? :)

yes, they are ridiculously loud (and shrill under WOT). embarrassing, actually. i kept my stock mid-pipe and the KR mufflers in case i ever need or want to switch back. supposedly the cats are the largest restriction in the stock exhaust system so i paired the hi-flows with the Borla "Super Snake/40th Anniversary" cat-back package. doesn't sound quite as nice as the stock/KR system, but pretty sure it flows better.

There are pictures in this thread that shows the stock (#7 from top) and KR mufflers (#13 & #15) relative to the lower bumper valance. Both muffler tail pipes appear to protrude the same at the furthest point, however the stock tail pipe is beveled while the KRs are straight cut.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-279/567552-how-i-installed-kr-mufflers.html

Make sure if you have a 2007-2009 you get the M-5230-S, if you have a 2010+ get the M-5230-SA. The later version for the 2010+ cars sticks out about 1.5 inches or so do to the rear bumper cover sticks out further. I think they are also different by color. I believe the 2010+ the muffler case is painted black.

yikes, speedrx. you need to lower that 4x4.

Yes, more mods in the works, just taking my time doing the research because I see a lot of people just lowering their car without a plan and destroying the ride. I do not want something too stiff where I won't enjoy driving it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, looking at getting the PHRP H-pipe as well. Does it make that much of a difference? Louder, Deeper sound I'm guessing? Is there any noticable audible difference between the Shelby KR H-pipe?THX

Yes, more mods in the works, just taking my time doing the research because I see a lot of people just lowering their car without a plan and destroying the ride. I do not want something too stiff where I won't enjoy driving it.

yeah, makes sense, but most people are using one of a few pre-existing kits so there's not that much discrepancy unless you get a kit with fully adjustable dampers. if you just want to lower the car but keep the ride the same, my understanding is that you can just buy lowering springs and keep the rest stock.

I installed the KR 500 mufflers on my stock 2008 GT500. The resulting noise was loud and higher pitched. I was cautioned that I might not be happy with just the KR mufflers and I was not. I did hear about H-pipes creating a deeper sound than the stock X-pipe. I ordered the PHRP H-pipe from Wes. Wes explained that the H-pipe configuration basically tunes the exhaust sound. I cannot describe the difference! The sound is deeper at all RPMs. Actually quiet at idle. Inside with the windows up or down is very acceptable. From behind the car at speed and throttle the sound level is loud. When you back off the throttle the car makes softer and deep rumble. The car is much more fun to drive! Apparently I drive by the sound of the engine more than the tach!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the mufflers in and when I opened the box, (ordered through local Ford dealer) to my dismay they were packaged horrible and the one clamp end of the exhaust was riding on top of the other muffler's chrome tip. Nice dent and scratch in the tip. Crap, back they went. The service manager wasn't too receptive, basically told me that no one would see the small ding on the tip but at the end of the day I have a new order coming in.

I couldn't believe how crappy they were packed. There was some expandable foam between the two muffler bodies but nothing holding the clamps away from the tips. Even the box from the inside showed lots of wear and tear from the movement. We will see how shipment #2 comes in!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived