TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 Ignition Coils

Non-Gearhead

My 2010 GT500 has a little over 25k miles. I recently had 4 ignition coils fail all at once. One on the driver's side and three on passenger side. Ford House said it was a problem with the PCM. When they finally got a PCM they said only one of the coils were bad. I drove it a total of 10 miles before the check engine light came on. Now they claim that when the coils were not firing properly it allowed un-burnt fuel through the exhaust and burned out the catalytic converter. According to Ford, those are on nation wide recall until the end of February. As a Non-Gearhead driver all of this sounds fishy to me. Has anyone else had this issue?

My 2010 GT500 has a little over 25k miles. I recently had 4 ignition coils fail all at once. One on the driver's side and three on passenger side. Ford House said it was a problem with the PCM. When they finally got a PCM they said only one of the coils were bad. I drove it a total of 10 miles before the check engine light came on. Now they claim that when the coils were not firing properly it allowed un-burnt fuel through the exhaust and burned out the catalytic converter. According to Ford, those are on nation wide recall until the end of February. As a Non-Gearhead driver all of this sounds fishy to me. Has anyone else had this issue?

It all sounds perfectly legit to me.

A shorted ign. coil will absolutely kill a PCM. And since they use "quad drivers" (a bank of 4 transistors/diodes) to fire the coils with, I can see why 4 coils would stop working at one time.

That will also dump excessive fuel into the CATS and as I reported in another thread, EXCESS FUEL (i.e. Rich) is what burns out a CAT, not "Lean" (it's like throwing a bunch of gas on a fire...what's it do? It gets HOTTER).

Everything you report, except MAYBE the ignition coil should be covered under warranty. Even if your Mfgr. Warranty expired, the Federal Emissions Warranty should cover it. It typically covers *expensive* items such as PCM's and Catalytic Converters, even long after the Mfgr. warranty is expired.

Phill Pollard - Retired Tech (Electronic Engine and Emission Controls was my forte)

It all sounds perfectly legit to me.

A shorted ign. coil will absolutely kill a PCM. And since they use "quad drivers" (a bank of 4 transistors/diodes) to fire the coils with, I can see why 4 coils would stop working at one time.

That will also dump excessive fuel into the CATS and as I reported in another thread, EXCESS FUEL (i.e. Rich) is what burns out a CAT, not "Lean" (it's like throwing a bunch of gas on a fire...what's it do? It gets HOTTER).

Everything you report, except MAYBE the ignition coil should be covered under warranty. Even if your Mfgr. Warranty expired, the Federal Emissions Warranty should cover it. It typically covers *expensive* items such as PCM's and Catalytic Converters, even long after the Mfgr. warranty is expired.

Phill Pollard - Retired Tech (Electronic Engine and Emission Controls was my forte)

So what is your recommendation Phil? Contact the dealer we bought the car at and see if there is a recall? And if they dont come up with anything then what? If a recall why would it be good for only until the end of Feb? Brad

Archived