TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone HERE struggle with the term 64 1/2 Mustang? ;^)

Not that it matters to me, but, somebody on FB hit me with 'Ford didn't MAKE a 64 1/2 Mustang, what's on your title?' when I, (as always, with a June 64 build date) labelled the pic I posted as MY 64 1/2...silly person!

I replied, since Ford is releasing the 50th anniversary Mustang as a '14 1/2, does that mean they should be calling it a 49 1/2 anniversary Edition?

In 1963 Ford made a 63 1/2 Galaxy 500 that was when they offered the 427 engine, so for various reasons Ford would announce half year cars.

THE 64 1/2 INTRODUCTION MODEL HAD A FEW THINGS DIFFERENT THAN THE 65 (THEY WERE ALL REGISTERED AS 65'S). THE 64 1/2 HAD INTERIOR COLORED DOOR LOCKS - THE 65'S WERE METAL. THE 64 1/2 HAD CLIP ON DOOR HANDLES AND WINDOW CRANKS - THE 65'S HAD SCREW ON HANDLES AND CRANKS. THE 64 1/2 HAD 13 INCH 4 BOLT RIMS ON THE 6 CYL. MODELS - THE 65'S WENT TO 14 INCH 5 BOLT. THE 64 1/2 HAD GENERATORS ON THE 6 CYL (170 CU IN ONLY AVAILABLE) & 260 V/8 - THE 65'S WENT TO ALTERNATORS ( 260 NO LONGER AVAILABLE).

I think most Mustang enthusiasts accept the 1964 1/2 as the early build cars as Wayne describes above. Someone is just stirring your pot.

LOL! No doubt. Heard OF it happening, just the first time I experienced it first hand!

Also, I believe the hood lip/edge on the 64 1/2 is different from the 65 too!

THE 64 1/2 INTRODUCTION MODEL HAD A FEW THINGS DIFFERENT THAN THE 65 (THEY WERE ALL REGISTERED AS 65'S). THE 64 1/2 HAD INTERIOR COLORED DOOR LOCKS - THE 65'S WERE METAL. THE 64 1/2 HAD CLIP ON DOOR HANDLES AND WINDOW CRANKS - THE 65'S HAD SCREW ON HANDLES AND CRANKS. THE 64 1/2 HAD 13 INCH 4 BOLT RIMS ON THE 6 CYL. MODELS - THE 65'S WENT TO 14 INCH 5 BOLT. THE 64 1/2 HAD GENERATORS ON THE 6 CYL (170 CU IN ONLY AVAILABLE) & 260 V/8 - THE 65'S WENT TO ALTERNATORS ( 260 NO LONGER AVAILABLE).

Mostly right Wayne. The six cylinder cars remained 4 lug well beyond 1965. But I think you're right about them going to 14 inch. I still have my stock '64 falcon 13" steel wheels.

Don`t forget the headlight rim was casting was different.

Every time I see a 64.5 6 Cyl "Secretary's car" I try to talk with the owner. Every one of them knows that the base was what started Shelby's mission with Ford. But there is so much room in the engine compartment. All of the owners know what they have, but if you've got a young'n that is looking for a good first car, find one. Everything is there and in the open and so simple to work on, and with the lazy 6-cyl engine it will not tax the drum brakes.

Dude won't give up, (to paraphrase him: "There's no argument, there IS no 64 1/2") to which I replied:

"Good luck with your campaign to stop folks from calling early '65 Mustangs '64 1/2! You're the first person I've personally encountered, though, (and, as the letters column in a recent Mustang Monthly attests) I knew there ARE folks that struggle with using the term! So, in conclusion to this discussion, can we still be friends if I continue to, (as the majority of folks AND Ford) call my '65 a '64 1/2? (And 'No' I won't ALSO type "'commonly known as 64 1/2" whenever making reference thereto)! ;^) Have a great day, BTW!"

What's it say on VIN and Title? The name 64 1/2 Mustang is a phrase not a title. Mustang purists (i.e fans) like to use it identify the early build cars. I understand it and say the samething but I know as far as the "legal" title they are all 1965 Mustangs. True Mustang fans know the difference and what you're talking about.

I have a friend who built his own 2000 Cobra R Mustang from body in white. He spend over $40,000 in pieces and parts from a Ford dealership over a period of a few years. When it was completed it look identical to a 2000 Cobra R except he left off the tall rear wing. Took him over a year and half to get the state of Florida to give him a title to his "home built 2000 Cobra R". When he finally received his official vehicle title from the State of Florida it was titled as a 2011 Cobra. He truly owns a one of none car. (LOL)

Here's the picture of it that was in Mustang Monthly:

mump_1204_015_ford_and_mustang_2012_show_season_kickoff_.jpg

What's it say on VIN and Title? The name 64 1/2 Mustang is a phrase not a title. Mustang purists (i.e fans) like to use it identify the early build cars. I understand it and say the samething but I know as far as the "legal" title they are all 1965 Mustangs. True Mustang fans know the difference and what you're talking about.

I have a friend who built his own 2000 Cobra R Mustang from body in white. He spend over $40,000 in pieces and parts from a Ford dealership over a period of a few years. When it was completed it look identical to a 2000 Cobra R except he left off the tall rear wing. Took him over a year and half to get the state of Florida to give him a title to his "home built 2000 Cobra R". When he finally received his official vehicle title from the State of Florida it was titled as a 2011 Cobra. He truly owns a one of none car. (LOL)

Here's the picture of it that was in Mustang Monthly:

mump_1204_015_ford_and_mustang_2012_show_season_kickoff_.jpg

Great car! That got me thinking, so I decided to pull the MM write up on MY car (January '97) and guess what THEY call it? (Page 60...and, yep, a "64 1/2"). (All credit due the car and getting written up in MM goes to the folks that owned/restored it at the time, the Steinkopfs, BTW. I'm just the current caretaker).

Not a prob for me, because thats what they are. Plus there are differences between the two builds, generator vs alternator. Different engines codes etc. In the build period of March thru July 1964.

My KR was a mid year introduction, and considered by some a 68.5, although the title is a '68. Same for the early 'Stang, not like dmv will put a .5 in the year...

He made his (supposed) final comment that anyone calling them 64 1/2's are 'idiots'/etc. I replied "Wow! That sums up both you AND you position! Have a great day, friend!"

My son (mildly) berrated me for 'feeding the trolls'! LOL!

I saw this type of mind set among:

1) model railroaders, (O-guage, a/k/a Lionel size): Anyone that likes MTH (Lionel's biggest competitor, to which L lost a law suit for stealing MTH's plans for a locomotive) are the devil incarnate! (And vice versa). :baby:

2) Banjo owners, (don't laugh, grammy winning player, Steve Martin, yes THAT Steve Martin, for example, and, no Deliverance jokes please, I absolutely HATE that movie). Anyway, I once read a comment about if you don't own a Gibson "What do people think of you when you take a 'fill in the name of ANY non-Gibson' out of your case at a jam session?" :banghead:

Amazing what people freak out about!! (Yeah, I know some Ford Shelby owners look down on us Dodge Shelby owners...I simply can't afford a Shelby Mustang, dang it! If I could, I could afford to have BOTH! Cuz my 220 HP SDCharger FLIES)! :burnout:

No need to feed the trolls...just step way...haha

I'm not a mopar fan at all, but the Shelby charger was by far the nicest looking of the Shelby Dodge clan. You made a great upgrade with those rims! They have an 07-09 GT500 appearance. Maybe you should change you sig pic to a whole view of your Charger to show it off a bit more.

No need to feed the trolls...just step way...haha

I HAD to do it...he claimed multiple times, Ford NEVER called them 64 1/2. It hit me today, they DID call it that! I made a seperate posting on the FB Mustang page where this all started, with the link to the Ford 1964 1/2 Repair Manual reprint, (an addendum to the '64 Falcon/Comet Manual), just in case anyone needed one! :http://www.cjponyparts.com/shop-manual-supplement-mustang-1964-1-2/p/BKS0S/ BKS0S.jpg

I'm not a mopar fan at all, but the Shelby charger was by far the nicest looking of the Shelby Dodge clan. You made a great upgrade with those rims! They have an 07-09 GT500 appearance. Maybe you should change you sig pic to a whole view of your Charger to show it off a bit more.

Thanks! As with my Mustang, the previous owners did all the 'heavy lifting', including those wheels! i also have the original 'pizza wheels', but would need new tires to go with them Have had offers from others to buy them, but my fellow TDS owners say to hang onto them! (And i DO like them too)!50270d1342829552-set-shelby-charger-wheels-p1040371.jpg (Not a pic of MY wheels, but the same style/etc.)

:stirpot: That shop manual is just going to keep him going.

(Nice sig pic switch. That is a sharp car! I think you mentioned in another post you really wanted blue/silver, but your black one looks very sharp and maybe a bit more agressive. :rockon:

Definately keep the orignal wheels, even if you never use them. Down the line, if you ever decide to sell, the next owner should really appreciate having them.

(Nice sig pic switch. That is a sharp car! I think you mentioned in another post you really wanted blue/silver, but your black one looks very sharp and maybe a bit more aggressive. :rockon:

Definitely keep the original wheels, even if you never use them. Down the line, if you ever decide to sell, the next owner should really appreciate having them.

Only problem with owning it is (what else?) my wife. :)

Her bad back makes it impossible for her to ride in the 5 speed Charger, no matter how careful I am shifting/driving it SLOWLY, she ends up in a LOT of pain.

I DO like having her go with me to shows/etc., and it's not a problem with the Mustang, (6 cylinder, automatic).

So...I may start looking for one of the few and far between, uber-slow AUTOMATIC Shelby Chargers...up-side is (I believe) they were only made in the blue with silver skunk stripes! It's said Mr Shelby nixed the automatics almost immediately!

(One was sold on Ebay, not long after I got my '87, last year. No doubt, it'll be awhile before I find/see another one)!

Only problem with owning it is (what else?) my wife. :)

Her bad back makes it impossible for her to ride in the 5 speed Charger, no matter how careful I am shifting/driving it SLOWLY, she ends up in a LOT of pain.

I DO like having her go with me to shows/etc., and it's not a problem with the Mustang, (6 cylinder, automatic).

So...I may start looking for one of the few and far between, uber-slow AUTOMATIC Shelby Chargers...up-side is (I believe) they were only made in the blue with silver skunk stripes! It's said Mr Shelby nixed the automatics almost immediately!

(One was sold on Ebay, not long after I got my '87, last year. No doubt, it'll be awhile before I find/see another one)!

Sorry to hear of your wife's back problems, If the blue auto is that rare, I'd imagine you will be searching a very long time for one in the same condition as yours. If you do find one, I hope you keep the aftermarketwheels. The really do make the car look fantastic.

Back on topic, your '64 1/2 is also very sharp. The red interior helps the white exterior "pop". Nice floor console. Is the engine really painted orange?

Back on topic, your '64 1/2 is also very sharp. The red interior helps the white exterior "pop". Nice floor console. Is the engine really painted orange?

Thanks, and, again, all credit goes to the owner that did the restoration work, Mr. Richard Steinkopf, who continues to enjoy the same. Last year he shipped one off to a purchaser in Australia! He recently had me shoot pictures of the carburator so he could match correct placement of the tags on his current restoration project!

The air cleaner and valve cover are orange. The 170 CID engine itself (looks-wise) needs some cleaning, to say the least. The body also has a few spots, but the restoration to 'as-delivered condition' is now 30 years old!

Lots of 1/2 years in most all car makes, many were very unique and special, the Fords for me, the '63 1/2 Galaxie with the fastback, the 64 1/2 Mustang of course, and the '68 1/2 Cobra Jet Mustang were all winners. And my daughter asked me for years to get her a '64 1/2 Mustang 'vert, which did finally happen once she grew up.....

post-39072-0-75624200-1359322875_thumb.jpg

post-39072-0-75624200-1359322875_thumb.jpg

Archived