TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Next Project - Shelby 4.6L Racing Valve Covers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks real good, might be a good time to replace the VCT seals if have not already done so. They can make a mess once they start leaking.

140.jpg

I believe that would require removing and reinstalling the covers again...no thanks! Anyway, mine seem fine, no leaks.

So, my daughter is looking at my new valve covers yesterday, and she says..."Daddy! Those are beautiful!! but....(then she points to the throttle body)..."You need to polish that too!" :cry:

Looks real good, might be a good time to replace the VCT seals if have not already done so. They can make a mess once they start leaking.

140.jpg

Agreed!!! I replaced my valve covers this past Fall, but reused my old VCT seals....fast forward about 3 months, and now mine is leaking on the driver's side on my new valve covers, down on the new JBA shorty headers, spraying back on the dip stick tube, the shock tower, and even some residue on the brake master cylinder.

Yes, now I have to remove the cover on the driver's side, install the new seal, and then reinstall again. Another weekend project to add to the list. I wish someone would have said to just buy the part and do it on the first go round, but now I know.

For those about to tackle this new Valve Cover project, I highly recommend the new part while you have it broken down. Ford dealer wanted $210 to do the work for me plus the $8 for the part. I paid the $8 for the part and will do the work in my own garage.

By the way Ilmor....very very very nice!!!!

Andy.

Yeah I know...another $600!!!

I bought and installed the 62mm TB, and love both the look and the performance improvement!

Paid $500 delivered and then had a $75 gift card that they applied for me before charging the card so total net out of pocket was $425 delivered!!! I had to call and have them step through the charges instead of ordering online....www.Buyfordracing.com for those interested.

I still have the Steeda tune for the 62mm TB if you are interested Ilmor, but I couldn't get it to post in the other thread...email me if you want a copy...and just remember, it's only money :spend: ...you can print more!!

Andy.

I bought and installed the 62mm TB, and love both the look and the performance improvement!

Paid $500 delivered and then had a $75 gift card that they applied for me before charging the card so total net out of pocket was $425 delivered!!! I had to call and have them step through the charges instead of ordering online....www.Buyfordracing.com for those interested.

I still have the Steeda tune for the 62mm TB if you are interested Ilmor, but I couldn't get it to post in the other thread...email me if you want a copy...and just remember, it's only money :spend: ...you can print more!!

Andy.

Thanks for the info & the offer! Ill keep this in mind. Gonna be awhile before I can make the next $$ leap though.

Curious, was your performance improvement realizes on a stock engine? I thought I had read that these TB's don't do much until you do other stuff.

I also don't want a 93 octane tune due to gas prices and, eventually, I see 93 octane disappearing due the ever increasing Gubmint b.s.

Thanks for the info & the offer! Ill keep this in mind. Gonna be awhile before I can make the next $$ leap though.

Curious, was your performance improvement realizes on a stock engine? I thought I had read that these TB's don't do much until you do other stuff.

I also don't want a 93 octane tune due to gas prices and, eventually, I see 93 octane disappearing due the ever increasing Gubmint b.s.

Yes, it was a stock engine - only upgrades were the Steeda Intake Elbow followed by the 93 SCT Steeda tune, then added the 62mm TB. I could feel more difference in the "seat of the pants" dyno from the 62mm TB than the 93 Octane tune. In fact, I'm going to a tuner in one week from today and we discussed going back to the 91 octane.

After receiving suggestions from some of the guys on TS, I think it makes more sense to go back to an aggressive custom 91 octane tune instead of the canned 93 octane tune while still using 93 octane fuel (all they sell in GA for premium). Obviously, now I have also added the JBA shorty headers and Steeda UDP, so with the custom tune I was told I should really see some decent performance gains while maintaining a reasonable safety margin.

I'll definitely update you in a week! I really like the FRPP TB unit...totally plug and play straight out of the box after the tune upload.

It would look incredible with your new valve covers!!

Andy.

Yes, it was a stock engine - only upgrades were the Steeda Intake Elbow followed by the 93 SCT Steeda tune, then added the 62mm TB. I could feel more difference in the "seat of the pants" dyno from the 62mm TB than the 93 Octane tune. In fact, I'm going to a tuner in one week from today and we discussed going back to the 91 octane.

After receiving suggestions from some of the guys on TS, I think it makes more sense to go back to an aggressive custom 91 octane tune instead of the canned 93 octane tune while still using 93 octane fuel (all they sell in GA for premium). Obviously, now I have also added the JBA shorty headers and Steeda UDP, so with the custom tune I was told I should really see some decent performance gains while maintaining a reasonable safety margin.

I'll definitely update you in a week! I really like the FRPP TB unit...totally plug and play straight out of the box after the tune upload.

It would look incredible with your new valve covers!!

Andy.

Sorry for hi jacking thread

Andy

I am headed to Pro-Dyno ( Fort Mill SC) for new tune at the end of the month. Will share results with you

Bought my SCT Tuner ( 3000 X3 empty not pre-loaded tunes ) this week going to have two tunes Nitrous and non Nitrous

Hopefully installing BMR CB004 brace and oil filter relocation kit early next week ( waiting on lift at work to get open better than jack stands and lying on my back)

Andrew

Your engine bay is beautiful ! those look like Moroso covers with the Shelby logo and that's a great price from what I have seen on the net. I have an 07GT (non Shelby). I wish they offered them without the logo. My car is an early 07 (June 06) and it still has the 14 bolt heads. I believe that sometime in 07 they changed to a 10 bolt cover. Will those work with either ? Thanks !

P.S. off topic but THANKS for the review of the Shelby (Borla touring ) mufflers. I bought a set based on your review. I had KR mufflers on my car with FRPP shorties , FRPP X pipe and loved them. But when I went to Kooks LT's / catted h pipe, the KR's were IMO too loud. I have been looking for the right muffler and I am looking forward to trying these. LT's in my experience really change up the sound.

Your engine bay is beautiful ! those look like Moroso covers with the Shelby logo and that's a great price from what I have seen on the net. I have an 07GT (non Shelby). I wish they offered them without the logo. My car is an early 07 (June 06) and it still has the 14 bolt heads. I believe that sometime in 07 they changed to a 10 bolt cover. Will those work with either ? Thanks !

Thanks! If you go to this page and click on "Modular Ford Engines" I believe these are the same covers. They do, however, have "Moroso" on them in appears. I don't know the answer about the bolts, but perhaps Shelby or Moroso can answer that for you.

P.S. off topic but THANKS for the review of the Shelby (Borla touring ) mufflers. I bought a set based on your review. I had KR mufflers on my car with FRPP shorties , FRPP X pipe and loved them. But when I went to Kooks LT's / catted h pipe, the KR's were IMO too loud. I have been looking for the right muffler and I am looking forward to trying these. LT's in my experience really change up the sound.

Thanks again! I hope you enjoy them. I like them, although I have not had an opportunity to get out and "open them up" on the road due to winter conditions....

Yes, they will. My Ford Racing covers don't have the extra hole, but the Shelby American Motorsports team installed them and skipped that hole and left the threaded recess in my block empty, no issues.

Jer

Yes, they will. My Ford Racing covers don't have the extra hole, but the Shelby American Motorsports team installed them and skipped that hole and left the threaded recess in my block empty, no issues.

Jer

THANKS for the info !

• 1 year later...

Hey ilmor, how well has the appearance of the cam covers held up of the past year?

Hey! They look as good as the day I put them on! Of course, I've only put maybe 1500 miles on them ... but there has been no change in color and no leaks.

Larry,

Honestly, I dont even remember.

It was more than 4 years ago now.

I would say I can go home and check my records,

but I am in the process of moving and everything

is packed up.

There were a group of us from Team Shelby that got these done together,

perhaps someone else has the info more readily available.

sorry.

I would bet money the shop that did them got a C&D letter from SAI back then.... I think I recall some posts about it... they may have ended up being involved in the official version but can't recall...

Archived