TEAM SHELBY FORUM

BAD NEWS/GOOD NEWS....PRODUCTION REDUCTION ON 2008

Well we just got word from Ford today that they will be REDUCING the production on the 2008 GT500.

They are going to reduce production to only 8,000 due to the 1,000 GT500KR's they will build.

Because of this they will NOT be giving out the same initial allocation to dealers that they got for 2007.

Some that got two may only get one. Those that got 3 may only get 1 or 2.

All president award winners for 06 are suppose to get 1 extra for that.

Most will be distributed based on prior sales for 06. So it looks like the higher volumn dealers will get the extras.

Still no official word on how they will distribute the GT500KR's.

This is good news for anyone that ends up owning one of these. Bad news for those waiting that may never be able to get one! There will be 1,000 less available!

I was told most would be given to dealers based on their market share penetration. Those with the most market share penetration will get more GT500's.

Some dealers may possibly not even get one! That wasn't specified or made clear, but it is a possibility.

Dealers that took deposits on their 08's based on the number they got for 07 may have customers that they may not be able to get one for! For those still waiting or wanting one that get upset over this has no one but FORD MOTOR COMPANY to blame for this!

I personally think this is bullsh*t!!!! Since the KR is basically it's own model Ford should have built those 1,000 in ADDITION to the regular production rather than reduce it by 1,000.

But as of today the word from Ford is only 8,000 GT500's for 2008 and 1,000 GT500KR's.

You can all draw your own conclusions and speculation as to what this may create because of this.

What is your source ?

Do you have a letter ?

No letter. This was told to us today by our Ford rep. We are suppose to get two and were told we will get one. Another dealer posted the same thing from another region that their Ford rep told them.

So that is the same story so far coming from two different reps in two different regions.

Well we just got word from Ford today that they will be REDUCING the production on the 2008 GT500.

They are going to reduce production to only 8,000 due to the 1,000 GT500KR's they will build.

Because of this they will NOT be giving out the same initial allocation to dealers that they got for 2007.

Some that got two may only get one. Those that got 3 may only get 1 or 2.

All president award winners for 06 are suppose to get 1 extra for that.

Most will be distributed based on prior sales for 06. So it looks like the higher volumn dealers will get the extras.

Still no official word on how they will distribute the GT500KR's.

This is good news for anyone that ends up owning one of these. Bad news for those waiting that may never be able to get one! There will be 1,000 less available!

I was told most would be given to dealers based on their market share penetration. Those with the most market share penetration will get more GT500's.

Some dealers may possibly not even get one! That wasn't specified or made clear, but it is a possibility.

Dealers that took deposits on their 08's based on the number they got for 07 may have customers that they may not be able to get one for! For those still waiting or wanting one that get upset over this has no one but FORD MOTOR COMPANY to blame for this!

I personally think this is bullsh*t!!!! Since the KR is basically it's own model Ford should have built those 1,000 in ADDITION to the regular production rather than reduce it by 1,000.

But as of today the word from Ford is only 8,000 GT500's for 2008 and 1,000 GT500KR's.

You can all draw your own conclusions and speculation as to what this may create because of this.

They way you wrote this, it alludes to the fact that 9,000 were built for 2007. I've read here those numbers won't be released until the '07 build is complete, but would be curious if you know that 9,000 were built?

HSURB

They way you wrote this, it alludes to the fact that 9,000 were built for 2007. I've read here those numbers won't be released until the '07 build is complete, but would be curious if you know that 9,000 were built?

HSURB

I don't know how many 07's were built.

I was only told less will be built for 08 which will only be 8,000

I asked if this had anything to do with the KR and was told yes. Less 08's will be built because of the KR's being built.

I am just very glad I didn't have two different deposits on the two we were suppose to get! I would hate to have to be the one to tell a customer they would not be getting one from us after they would have thought they had one coming!

I think I need to go to Detroit and fire some people and take that company over!!!

WAIT A MINUTE HERE!

Back when this all started Dealers had to shell out $1,500 to become certified to sell Shelby's for 2 years & now your ford rep is saying some small dealer that may have gotten only 1 or 2 might not even get 1 in 2008? Maybe your rep is wrong & forgot about this agreement. I see dealers that got way more then they should have for 07' now getting a few less, and then being rewarded with by getting a KR or 2 to replace the regular GT500's they aren't getting.

WAIT A MINUTE HERE!

Back when this all started Dealers had to shell out $1,500 to become certified to sell Shelby's for 2 years & now your ford rep is saying some small dealer that may have gotten only 1 or 2 might not even get 1 in 2008? Maybe your rep is wrong & forgot about this agreement. I see dealers that got way more then they should have for 07' now getting a few less, and then being rewarded with by getting a KR or 2 to replace the regular GT500's they aren't getting.

I do agree with this. I think many smaller dealers rationalized the $1,500 or $1,700 certification cost over two vehicles. Without seeing the actual contract or agreement, I think this would be very difficult for Ford to back out of this.

I know my dealer is planning on another "single" allocation this year, even though I covered his certification costs.

I would imagine those multiple car dealers that were "surprised" with an additional allocation or two, won't see those again next year. It may all be jockying on the part of Ford now that they know up front how many dealers are certified for at least one unit.

Just one lowly bastards opinion. :hysterical:

HSURB

oh, I still think anyone that wants one, will get one, they just may have to pay an adm them. Oh well, if everyone does, then I wont feel like I got ripped off :)

Uh oh, you said the ADM thing. :stop:

Wait. This can't be true as I read in another thread the '08's will be going for MSRP or less. :hysterical2:

I some how think this is a very small deal. The extra 1000 KR's out of the regular '08's will not mean much because there will be the must have KR people that just will not buy a regular '08 GT500 now. Not a big deal I'm thinking.

WAIT A MINUTE HERE!

Trust me! I understand!

I said wait a minute! I have a contract that shows I paid $1,500 and clearly states that any allocation you get for 07 you will get the same for 08!

Doesn't matter. The $1,500 was to cover marketing materials, certification,

I do NOT know for certain that some small dealer that got one for 07 may not get one for 08.

What I do know that was said is that everyone will not get the same allocation they got for 07.

Every dealer that enrolled was promised at least ONE for each year.

Every SVT focus dealer was promised one additional for being SVT focus

Every FULL LINE SVT dealer was promised 2 additional for being full line SVT

Every President winner was promised 1 additional for being a President winner.

Any remaining units were distributed based on share of nation.

We got one for the dealer and one for being SVT focus for a total of two. Now we have been told as of today we will get only one. And that president winners get 1 extra. The rest are distributed based on market share penetration.

I have read where someone else posted something about saying their dealer may not even get one for 08. That was several weeks ago and I just assumed they didn't know what they were talking about.

I was told about this other stuff here and I assumed they didn't know what they were talking about.

Lots of people that didn't know much about this deal and how allocation was set up and promised by Ford.

I always knew better because I read and kept a copy of the enrollment form.

Now today I am told about this new gig which is what some other dealers have already said that I didn't believe them. But I guess they were correct after being told this today by our Ford rep.

Another dealer posted the same thing today that their Ford rep told them all 08 GT500's will be distributed based on share of nation.

Bottom line is this. Regardless of what dealer gets what, Ford is reducing the number of production units for 08 and is only building 8,000 units plus the 1,000 KR's.

I do not know what the total production for 07 will be. So I don't know if this means they only built 9,000 07's or what. I only know that I was told Ford is building only 8,000 GT500's for 07 and this is why dealers will not be getting the same allocation they got for 07.

If I get any other concrete info on this other than what was told by the Ford rep I will post it.

I some how think this is a very small deal. The extra 1000 KR's out of the regular '08's will not mean much because there will be the must have KR people that just will not buy a regular '08 GT500 now. Not a big deal I'm thinking.

I have a customer that bought a Shelby GT from us. He already bought 2 GT500 verts and a Ford GT and another Shelby GT.

He called me last week wanting to know if we will get a KR because he wants one. This is a guy that collects cars. He won't drive any of these. He just stores them.

I suspect these will be the most types of buyers wanting the KR. These are the collectors with lots of money to burn and they will buy one if they can get one. So I don't think the buyers lining up for the KR will have any impact on the GT500 at all. Most of these buyers that will pay to get the KR are buyers that have already purchase a GT500. Many purchased more than one.

I do agree with this. I think many smaller dealers rationalized the $1,500 or $1,700 certification cost over two vehicles. Without seeing the actual contract or agreement, I think this would be very difficult for Ford to back out of this.

I know my dealer is planning on another "single" allocation this year, even though I covered his certification costs.

I would imagine those multiple car dealers that were "surprised" with an additional allocation or two, won't see those again next year. It may all be jockying on the part of Ford now that they know up front how many dealers are certified for at least one unit.

Just one lowly bastards opinion. :hysterical:

HSURB

It's not a contract where both parties signed. It was an enrollment form that only the dealer signed and mailed in to Ford.

So how much weight that form would have I couldn't say. But I would sure like to at least try to use it against them to get our second car we were promised!

I will read it over to double check everything when I go back to the dealership on Wed.

The KR will be so expensive that it will be out of the reach of most of us working guys and gals, so with that being said, it seems that there will be 1000 less of the reasonable priced GT500's for that group of buyers. :shrug:

The KR will be so expensive that it will be out of the reach of most of us working guys and gals, so with that being said, it seems that there will be 1000 less of the reasonable priced GT500's for that group of buyers. :shrug:

Exactly! I think this is a bad move on Ford's part. Since the KR is a special limited edition that should be built in addition to the production of the GT500 and not have any impact of that.

Just another fine example of Ford thinking with their heads up their A$$E$!!!!!!

I see your point but I was kind of thinking that maybe it will take some of the gotta have a new '08 to add next to the '07 rich guys out of the picture and leave the regular GT500's to the normal guys. I was hoping that they would not take it out of the '08's also. Either way it kind of sucks. I'm still searching for mine so I do have a great interest in how this plays out.

Grabber,

You nailed it...

Stuart

Nothing against you Dude, but I'll believe it when I see it (as should you).

There were MANY instances in 2006, throughout the year, where we had stories posted about, "my dealer was told x by his Ford rep...", only to find that the rep was wrong or "thought" something was going to happen and jumped the gun by telling the dealer. Those that have been on the forum a while will remember many of them. Most were quickly debunked when other dealer guys here, who had different Ford reps, got different (correct) info.

Dude, I appreciate your desire to inform, but since this is already a highly caustic subject (production #'s and ADM prices), why not wait until you get something in writing? Rumors, even if from "credible sources", are a quick way to cause panic and "the sky is falling" type thinking. Please, hold off until we get the official scoop, capiche?

There were MANY instances in 2006, throughout the year, where we had stories posted about, "my dealer was told x by his Ford rep...", only to find that the rep was wrong or "thought" something was going to happen and jumped the gun by telling the dealer. Those that have been on the forum a while will remember many of them. Most were quickly debunked when other dealer guys here, who had different Ford reps, got different (correct) info.

Dude, I appreciate your desire to inform, but since this is already a highly caustic subject (production #'s and ADM prices), why not wait until you get something in writing? Rumors, even if from "credible sources", are a quick way to cause panic and "the sky is falling" type thinking. Please, hold off until we get the official scoop, capiche?

I agree with Joe.

That is why I asked if you had a letter.

Did 2008 allocation letters go out to dealers yet ? Like the 2007 allotment letters ?

I personally know a regional zone rep, and will be calling tomorrow to ask some questions!

Too late, the sky is falling :fan:slcm_990324_n_1556a_004_s.jpg :hysterical::finger: Now everyone panic!!Or not!!

The Red Stripe package was created because the line was shut down for two weeks in order to incorporate a new fuel tank design into the Job 2 cars. As a result of that shutdown, an opening was created to build addtional 2007 500's, so they came up with the Red Stripe package for those extra allocation of cars.

I'm not arguing or disputing what "The Dude" heard today, but using the above example, it would seem that production numbers are quite broad and subject to change UP or DOWN at any given moment depending on circumstances. My point being that what is said today may not be true by April 2008. I understand that initial production numbers for 2008 were planed to be around 10,000 units, with 1,000 being bled off for the KR upfit. That still leaves a net of 9,000 units, and with 4,300 or so dealers, every one could/should get at least one 500.

I really don't think that anyone will be turned away from buying an 08, and I also think that the avarage ADM will stablize and end up being around $10,000 to $15,000. The bottom line is that with the exception of the KR, I think that the days of the $90,000 dollar GT500's are done.

JUST MY OPINION.

You are correct. Many rumors were spread from misinformed Ford reps, or at least it would appear that was the case based on employees of dealerships stating they were told by their Ford rep the info they stated. So maybe it was from misinformed reps or maybe it was employees just saying it was their ford reps to get people to buy or something. I don't know. But I have disputed those false rumors and stated they need to get a new rep because they were clueless if that was in fact something their rep told them.

I sent an email once to that dealer in Ohio that keeps trying to sell their Shelby's on ebay. It was in response to one they had listed. When he responded he tried telling me that Ford was not going to build a 2008 GT500 and that 2007 was the only year. He claimed he got that info from a very reliable source at Ford. A complete BS lie! There is no way he got that from any reliable source from Ford. He just made that up.

So my point is, were those rumors in the past really things that were told by Ford reps or were they rumors just made up where they lied and used the Ford rep as an excuse??? I don't know.

I only do know what came from our rep today and what I read from another dealer that is in another State in a different region that stated close to the same thing we were told today. So this is coming from two different reps in two different regions in one day. Could they both be wrong and misinformed by stating basically the same thing to two different dealers? I guess it is possible but I think this is unlikely in this case. But we were also told we are only getting one for 2008 and we did get two for 2007.

Will Ford give us anything in writing? Probably not. They typically don't on other models. They did on the Shelby for 2007. But I don't know if they will on the 2008. Hopefully they post something to confirm and clear up any confusion that there will be on this. Like I said, I will post any updates I hear about.

The Red Stripe package was created because the line was shut down for two weeks in order to incorporate a new fuel tank design into the Job 2 cars. As a result of that shutdown, an opening was created to build addtional 2007 500's, so they came up with the Red Stripe package for those extra allocation of cars.

I'm not arguing or disputing what "The Dude" heard today, but using the above example, it would seem that production numbers are quite broad and subject to change UP or DOWN at any given moment depending on circumstances. My point being that what is said today may not be true by April 2008. I understand that initial production numbers for 2008 were planed to be around 10,000 units, with 1,000 being bled off for the KR upfit. That still leaves a net of 9,000 units, and with 4,300 or so dealers, every one could/should get at least one 500.

I really don't think that anyone will be turned away from buying an 08, and I also think that the avarage ADM will stablize and end up being around $10,000 to $15,000. The bottom line is that with the exception of the KR, I think that the days of the $90,000 dollar GT500's are done.

JUST MY OPINION.

I don't know how many will actually be built for 2008. We were just told only 8,000 will be built.

Actually, there are only 3680 dealers left. More than enough to supply every dealer with at least two and some with more. But that isn't how Ford does things as I'm sure you already know.

Look at the KR. Only 1,000 of those will be built. At least 1,000 dealers could each get one. But that won't be the way it works out. There is no doubt there will be some dealers that get two and three if not more limiting the actual number of dealers that actually get one of these.

I will check the enrollment form, but if I remember that stated they estimated approx 8k - 9k to be built each year. Ford announced on their Ford Dealer Broadcast that they would build approx. 18k total over two years.

What the actual numbers will end up being remains to be seen. We should at least know soon what total production was for 2007. We should be able to find out sometime in June I would suspect.

JUST MY OPINION.

Here is something I found which based on this every dealer that enrolled for the 07 and got certified would have to get at least one for 08.

"Per Shelby certification agreement, allocation of one Shelby GT500 unit for both 2007 and 2008 model years is provided to the dealer, along with related marketing material and online sales training, for a fee of $1,500."

This is also simular to what was stated on the enrollment form. So while a lot dealers won't end up getting the same allocation in 08 that they got for 07 even though they were promised that, every dealer would still have to at least get one for 08.

Archived