TEAM SHELBY FORUM

No horses were harmed in the filming of this movie...

500HP GT

In the latest issue of The Shelby American, #75, it is reported (repeated) that five red 2007 GT500s were used in the filming of "I Am Legend," a remake of "The Omega Man," and due in theatres in December. One scene, long on YouTube, has one launching through the front window of a Ford Dealership in Manhattan.

The article further asserts that all five were sent to the car crusher when filming was complete. Does anyone know why? Assuming they were not destroyed during filiming itself...

Well, at least they used the right color when it comes out on Blueray.

In the latest issue of The Shelby American, #75, it is reported (repeated) that five red 2007 GT500s were used in the filming of "I Am Legend," a remake of "The Omega Man," and due in theatres in December. One scene, long on YouTube, has one launching through the front window of a Ford Dealership in Manhattan.

The article further asserts that all five were sent to the car crusher when filming was complete. Does anyone know why? Assuming they were not destroyed during filiming itself...

I read that article and its my understanding that all 5 cars were hacked up and modified for the filming with side cars for cameras, lights etc.

Ford probably didn't want the modified cars sold to the public for quality control reasons.

Plus Ford gets the advertisement and a tax write off. jmo

Alan

I saw something on Spike tv about a company that provides cars for the movie industry I can't remember the name. they had 2 red GT500 they cut the front off and hooked it up to a machine so they could take action shots through the windshield. and the other one they used to jump out the window. I didn't catch the name of the movie. They wrecked one and had a hard time getting replacement parts. I saved it on my dvr box I have dish network. I will buy the movie when it comes out even if it is bad.

The movie is called`I`AM A LEGEND`& stars Will Smith . Ford had to supply 5 cars to get it in the movie & yes one was cut & the front end mounted on a sidecar so actors could act with the car in motion. One car was driven through a Manhatten Ford dealer & had to make severe left turn when it landed, It made the turn but not without damaging the front end.This film was made last year while most of us were waitng for our cars to be built. Oh & if you are thinking of tracking the cars down & buying them cheap forget it they were all sent to the crusher. What a waste.

QUOTE(500HP GT @ Apr 30 2007, 05:21 PM)

500HP GT,

Liability, Liability, Liability...

Film Company, Stunt Company, FoMoCo....

Stuart

Does anyone know if the 5 were part of the 07 production run? Or were they extra "test vehicles" Ford built for the movie? And why couldn't they just bust up some V6's or GT's with a Shelby body kit? cryin shame

i watched the show , one was damaged after the jump . second made it ok with minor damage. but both cars were repaired for further use in the movie at that time. shame they went to the crusher after filming.the owner of the company in charge of the cars has a nice mustang collection of his own. i thought they might end up in his collection.

Archived