TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rev Limiter

bergenfelter

I have a few mods going in to my '13 - 2.4" VMP Pulley, 90mm idler, 65mm CobraJet TB, air intake and a Lund Racing 93 octane tune. One of the things that I question is with the Lund tune they raise the rev limiter from 7000 to 7600. Can the 5.8 mill handle 7600 RPM for short bursts? I am assuming it can or Lund would not have raised the limiter that far.

If it could I am sure ford would have raised it to 7600 from the start. It barely can sustain 7000 I would think 7600 is nuts. Thats how lethal finally broke their engine because they reved past 7k. To sustain 7600 you would need the MMR titanium retainers which safely raise up the rev limiter and also true forged manley or carillo rods.

I question everything that is John Lund. IMO he rushed everything he did to be the first.

If it could I am sure ford would have raised it to 7600 from the start. It barely can sustain 7000 I would think 7600 is nuts. Thats how lethal finally broke their engine because they reved past 7k. To sustain 7600 you would need the MMR titanium retainers which safely raise up the rev limiter and also true forged manley or carillo rods.

I question everything that is John Lund. IMO he rushed everything he did to be the first.

OK - any links to the story on the blown Lethal engine - any other tunes out there that would be better?

4.16" stroke X 7600 RPM=5276 FPM piston speed.That's Nascar territory. Engine will go boom with stock internals. Don't do it. I have no idea why Lund would raise the limiter to that level. Even if you don't do it intentionally and miss a shift, still a good chance of catastrophic failure.

I have a Lund tune, my rev limiter is still 7000. No way I would go past that with the stock rods.

Do you have a 5.4L or a 5.8L?

There's a BIG difference between the two, internally.

Phill

Mine is a 2013 5.8. Canned tune from Lund. 7000 RPM limit. I haven't checked the SCT to see if it can be changed. I have been running it since July ~4000 miles. No issues whatsoever.

Sounds like Jon II is not dialed in with the program - I will verify - Is there any way to look at this on the SCT?

OK - any links to the story on the blown Lethal engine - any other tunes out there that would be better?

They said it on a post on SVTP. That they were reving the car constantly past 7k RPM and finally a rod broke. Ford put the limited time there for a reason.

It wasn't Lethal. It was Evolution. svt13 was partially right as usual, LOL.

Here is the link. Post #185

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2013-shelby-gt500-413/866989-evolution-gt500-goes-boom-8.html

Iceman - Gracias - I sent a note to Lund to have them adjust my tune to 7000 rev limit - I am still not so sure Jon II knows what is going on - I would bet my tune is set at 7K rev limit.

Thanks for all the input from the forum. This is what it is all about...

Talked to Jon Lund II and he told me they set the rev limiter at 7600 to "get it out of the way". That's fine for good drivers with perfect shift reaction times - I don't trust myself that much. Jon was more than happy to set the rev limiter back to 7000 and email me a new custom tune. Just received my 65mm Cobra Jet TB today - what a beautiful piece of work!! The size of those throttle bores looks like it could inhale a bowling ball.

I believe it means move it up so you won't hit the rev limiter. But still shift before 7K. Its always better to not hit the rev limiter.

The rev limiter is your safety valve put there for one purpose- to save your engine. They want you to shift before 7k, but it's better to move that annoying limiter out of the way because you may make a mistake and hit it. Makes zero sense to me and says they're not to concerned about your engine.

Archived