TEAM SHELBY FORUM

front fascia plastic

ITHERTZ66

My car has only 2 screws holding it into the front wheel well area (on each side), and looks like there is an empty hole and the bottom front edge of the wheel well to attach something missing under my fascia. The fascia is very easy to move with my hand and doesn't seem secured well at the bottom (only the top). It appears that the GT/CS bumper kit available from Ford has a plastic piece at the bottom of the fascia that I am missing (see part B in the illustration below). Did Shelby use this piece on the 2006 GT-H? What purpose does it serve? I wonder why mine would be missing? The rest of the cover looks to be in good original shape - no paint on the center part of the lower chin and just a few scratches on the underside.

gtcsbumper.JPG

Thanks

Looks like your's was probably replaced. All the '06 cars should be painted in the lower middle section. Yes, part B you reference should be there. I've just had mine apart multiple times with the intercooler I put on. There should be two sheild like pieces under there. The part B above and then a smaller one in the center that screws to part B and back to the crossmember under the radiator.

P.S. pieces E&F from above add most of the rigidity to the sides. Make sure those are under there and bolted up just under the headlight assembly.

Looks like your's was probably replaced. All the '06 cars should be painted in the lower middle section. Yes, part B you reference should be there. I've just had mine apart multiple times with the intercooler I put on. There should be two sheild like pieces under there. The part B above and then a smaller one in the center that screws to part B and back to the crossmember under the radiator.

P.S. pieces E&F from above add most of the rigidity to the sides. Make sure those are under there and bolted up just under the headlight assembly.

Yep, E&F are there as that is the only place I feel the bumper is secured well. The part you reference that connects "part B" with the crossmember under the radiator sounds like an important piece I'm missing to keep that bumper from flexing so much in the middle/bottom. I wonder if we can determine what Ford part that is so I can order it...... Any assistance on that would be helpful.

Are you 100% certain ALL the 2006 cars came with the middle lower section painted? I suppose the unrented original low mileage exec cars may help shed some light on that question?

Troy

Take a look at this thread - it's the only place I could find a picture

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/184269-2010-front-diffuser-installed-good-results.html

Part B is called a filler

in the thead picture #2 shows the 05-09 piece that goes between the K member and the filler. It is sitting on top of the 2010 piece

Here is the part in question through Tousley Ford Parts. This is the same as the standard GT which then screws to the California Special part B above. Part 6 below. in the view for Radiator support.

Body Hardware/Radiator Support/Radiator Support/Lower Deflector

JC05036.gif

http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/media/images/oe/collision/J/JC05036.gif

I actually add all this to our Terlingua to try and enhance the cooling. On the Terlingua (with a heat exchanger up front), it actually forces too much air up underneath the hood and there is no where for the air to go. at 140 mph the hood started to rise due to the air pressure under the hood and finally this whole assembly underneath the car flew off (at 145 mph). After going back and reading that thread - I might try the 2010

Thanks Jeff! Do you think that lower deflector part helps cool the radiator or inhibit it (why is mine missing)? My car as an intercooled whipple - I see yours does, too. Can this piece be used with the intercooler?

This should help cooling, but could have other effect like DeWayne stated. This piece is in front of and below the radiator, not behind, so stops any air from exiting under the car until it at least goes through the radiator. You can kind of see in the picture that there is also a "kick-up" molded area where it actually goes up and touches the AC condenser at the bottom further diflecting air through the coolers. So yes, this piece is pretty important to cooling. I just installed my intercooler for my Paxton. Not a Paxton intercooler but a stand alone fairly large intercooler. I made sure to design the placement just high enough so that I can still get the plastic shields under there. It's all tight, but it is there.

Cooling of the intake temp is extremely important at any altitude, but even more so as high as I am. This piece is pretty critical in diverting air through all the coolers. I'm guessing your car probably took a hit at some point in the front. Somebody replaced the front facia, but did not properly replace these pretty important pieces underneath. The missing pieces and the non painted center, further point to that thought.

Mine has held at 161 with no problem, So may have been a fluke or something slightly different with the aero of the Terlingua nose. Don't know. I also did not have the intercooler at the time, So it could also have to do with the additional stuff that the air has to flow through restricting flow and building up more preasure in front of the radiator at high speeds. Anyhow good luck with getting all the pieces and getting your H back up to snuff!!

Mine has held at 161 with no problem, So may have been a fluke or something slightly different with the aero of the Terlingua nose. Don't know. I also did not have the intercooler at the time, So it could also have to do with the additional stuff that the air has to flow through restricting flow and building up more preasure in front of the radiator at high speeds. Anyhow good luck with getting all the pieces and getting your H back up to snuff!!

Helaina's flew off her SGT in 09. I don't know how fast she was going or her setup. She is running a Kenne Bell.

Today, I took a shop light in the garage and carefully examined the front. I am missing the 2 under fascia items -confirmed.

However, I don't think the front bumper fascia was replaced in 229. The scatter of road rash on there is consistent with the headlights and front edge of the fender paint. The hood was repainted so I can't compare to the leading edge of the hood. When I look at the areas at the bottom of the fascia with a bright shop light, it appears to me that the lower plastic has likely been painted in the past but has simply worn down to nearly nothing/faded off. That is also true for the outer edges of the lower fascia - not nearly as much paint thickness remains as the rest of the bumper. The areas of the bumper that have paint totally chipped away reveal that the black paint is extremely thin and not laid down the same as the factory black paint on the rest of the body. I have heard that Shelby did a POOR job painting the hoods and fascias so this is further evidence for me.

My car has 44K miles on it and spent it's whole life in LA including 2 years under a tarp outside in the heat while the owner was going through some personal issues.

Are you sure that all 06's were painted in the middle lower section?

_DSF0025.jpg

_DSF0025.jpg

I've sent a message to Bestia to see if he can answer for sure. I know this was answered from Bud or Bestia in the past, but I can't find the post. I know for a fact that every one on a truck I saw delivered to a local Hertz dealer were painted at delivery. The show cars were painted. All the ones that were at the car shows I took pictures of back in 2006 were painted, but all cars were numbered below 250 by going through my pictures. So there still may be some question now if there were some sprinkled in there without paint or not or if there was a cut off at some point. I just went through some of my magazines last night from 2006. All the pictures that you could see good shots of the fronts were painted, but I haven't gone through all my magazines yet.

Just spoke to a friend who was a Hertz exec., retired now. His car is in the 490's and it came straight to him painted when he got it from Shelby in 2006. Any production line pictures I can find on line or in the GT-H book that show the front end are painted. We'll have to hear straight from somebody who was there to find out if there were any differences during the produciton or not.

112_0609_10z%2bshelby_mustang_GT-H_production%2bready_for_stripes.jpg

I rented 185. Here are pictures of it. 186 just happened to be around also, so it is in some of the pictures also. It's a little hard to tell, but here they are, you can decide

In those photos, I can see the painted in a couple. You can see the shine off of the paint.

I just received this PM from AJ (Bestia) this am:

"Hi Jeff,

If I recall correctly, the '06 GT-H front fascias were all painted and the '07s were not.

AJ "

Archived