TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil Changes

James Harman

Was wondering if anyone knew an answer for this.

I had the ford dealer change the oil on my Shelby at 1100 miles.

Originally planned to wait till it had about 1500 miles on it. But

when looking at the percentage for oil life left, I noticed that I

had only 30 percent oil life left.

Now I don't drive the car hard and took it somewhat easy while breaking it in.

A few spirited drives, But no hard runs.

So I don't understand how the oil life would go down so quickly

after so few miles. Shouldn't the oil life last to 3000 miles or more, or is it

based on time (Months,Days) usage? I'm using Ford's full synthetic 10-50 that is

recommended for the motor.

The Dealer says with each oil change they will get further apart. Never heard that before!

I checked the oil life again yesterday after only 300 miles and now it says

75 percent! Checked the Oil level, right where it is supposed to be.

What's up with this, Anyone else experience this

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Jim

DSCN0038.JPG

DSCN0038.JPG

It is based on length of time oil has been in the car, miles, hours of operation, average and peak RPM's, operating temps, etc. Nothing to be concerned about and it will get longer (usually) after each oil change. It is just supposed to be used has a guideline.

It is based on length of time oil has been in the car, miles, hours of operation, average and peak RPM's, operating temps, etc. Nothing to be concerned about and it will get longer (usually) after each oil change. It is just supposed to be used has a guideline.

Really? Wow learn something new every day. I thought it was strictly based on mileage. I searched the owners manual and could not find anything that explained exactly how it was determined. Anyway, I think people get too caught up in the oil thing. I'll do my initial change at 5k miles then every 5k after that. It's more than the manual says but it's easier to keep track of.

From Ford.com:

Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor

IOLM is a feature found in your vehicle’s instrument cluster message center. IOLM notifies you at key oil change intervals by displaying alerts such as “Engine Oil Change Soon” or “Oil Change Required.” The system also alerts you when your fuel filters need maintenance or fuel pressure is low.

IOLM uses an algorithm to calculate your oil change intervals based on actual engine operating conditions. The system must be reset after each oil change. Not doing so will result in a premature “Oil Change Required” alert.

Was wondering if anyone knew an answer for this.

I had the ford dealer change the oil on my Shelby at 1100 miles.

Originally planned to wait till it had about 1500 miles on it. But

when looking at the percentage for oil life left, I noticed that I

had only 30 percent oil life left.

Now I don't drive the car hard and took it somewhat easy while breaking it in.

A few spirited drives, But no hard runs.

So I don't understand how the oil life would go down so quickly

after so few miles. Shouldn't the oil life last to 3000 miles or more, or is it

based on time (Months,Days) usage? I'm using Ford's full synthetic 10-50 that is

recommended for the motor.

The Dealer says with each oil change they will get further apart. Never heard that before!

I checked the oil life again yesterday after only 300 miles and now it says

75 percent! Checked the Oil level, right where it is supposed to be.

What's up with this, Anyone else experience this

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Jim

One of my auto mechanics instructors told me long ago, it is easier to change your oil than to change your engine. Adverse chemical reactions occur in motor oil even if the car is not being used. I did my initial oil change at 1,000 and will change it at least every 3,000 miles or six months from that point on regardless of what the oil monitor says. My wifes BMW gets a change every 5,000 although the monitor on her car shows approximately 10,000 miles left on the oil before a change is needed. Never going to let that happen.

Make sure the Dealer cleared the monitor after the recent service.....

Isn't there a way for us to reset it ourselves? The manual says to press the "setup" button but there is none on the GT500. Am i missing something?

From the 2013 MUstang Owners Manual:

OIL LIFE

This displays the remaining oil life.

An oil change is required whenever indicated by the information center and according to the recommended maintenance schedule. USE ONLY RECOMMENDED ENGINE OILS.

To reset the oil monitoring system to 100% after each oil change perform the following:

1. Press and release SETUP to display “OIL LIFE XXX% HOLD RESET = NEW”.

2. Press and hold RESET for two seconds and release to reset the oil life to 100%.

I think that my mechanic did not reset my oil life sensor, too! I just checked with 2250 miles on my 2nd oil fill (1st change from factory fill was @ 750 mi) & my oil life remaining now is 28%, but the setting was for only 90% at least since the 750 mi first change.

I am having my 2nd change (3rd fill) on Wed (6 months since bought & 3k miles on Shelby). It's my free change!

The following is poorly explained on pages 100 thru 105 in your "2013 MUSTANG Owner's Manual".

>Press Left using the 4 way (Up, Down, Left, Right) Information Display Control on the left side of the steering wheel until the Main menu appears:

*To reset the % oil life to 100% after a change: press Down when on the Main menu until Settings is chosen, press Right to Vehicle, then Right & Down to OIL LIFE RESET, then Right to choose 100%. Press Left 3 times to return to the Main menu.

*To find the % oil life remaining: press Down when on the Main menu until Information is chosen, press Right & Down to System Check, then Right to Oil Life % remaining. Press Left twice to return to the Main menu.

• 7 months later...

I think that my mechanic did not reset my oil life sensor, too! I just checked with 2250 miles on my 2nd oil fill (1st change from factory fill was @ 750 mi) & my oil life remaining now is 28%, but the setting was for only 90% at least since the 750 mi first change.

I am having my 2nd change (3rd fill) on Wed (6 months since bought & 3k miles on Shelby). It's my free change!

The following is poorly explained on pages 100 thru 105 in your "2013 MUSTANG Owner's Manual".

>Press Left using the 4 way (Up, Down, Left, Right) Information Display Control on the left side of the steering wheel until the Main menu appears:

*To reset the % oil life to 100% after a change: press Down when on the Main menu until Settings is chosen, press Right to Vehicle, then Right & Down to OIL LIFE RESET, then Right to choose 100%. Press Left 3 times to return to the Main menu.

*To find the % oil life remaining: press Down when on the Main menu until Information is chosen, press Right & Down to System Check, then Right to Oil Life % remaining. Press Left twice to return to the Main menu.

I went into settings on the screen then to vehicle then to oil life reset and option came up to press ok to reset to 100%. yes I would understand if Ford engineers were Japanese that illustrating veh functions could be difficult because of the language barrier but I think the problem is that they should have put the GT500 specific info in the gt500 supplemental manual. Did you guys get the corrected supplement and discard the incorrect one? I forgot to discard the incorrect one and now I gotta figure that out.

They are set for miles and time. If 6 months go by and you still have relatively low miles, the light comes on.

They are set for miles and time. If 6 months go by and you still have relatively low miles, the light comes on.

It's that simple, 512 miles on the clock owned for 10 months (too much work to drive) and tells me every time I start it

• 2 weeks later...

It's that simple, 512 miles on the clock owned for 10 months (too much work to drive) and tells me every time I start it

Just go into the setup menu and reset it to 100%, will at least get you another 6 months w/o the warning.

Archived