TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Red calipers

10SHELBY

Now THAT's the way to get your calipers red. All the home done jobs just do not "pop" like yours. Mine started life from the factory red but they do get dingd up a bit on the race track when you are changing wheels and tires. Good to know I can have them redone when they too ugly.

Jim

G2 makes a paint system for calipers. They send you a kit that contains everything you need to do it yourself and they turn out quite good. Paint and hardener are mixed in a regular can (not spray) so you can do it on the car if you want (pull pads first).

Tried to upload pics but got database error and disconnected.

I used the G2 kit on my 03 Cobra and it worked really well. I used the black kit and was pleased with the results.

Thanks to all that have answered. If anyone has any photos of a G2 finished product I would apprecaite a look.

Rudy

• 2 months later...

I think mine turned out pretty well with the Torch Red G2 paint. I sprayed mine. If I was to do it over I would have gone powder coat. The G2 paint is tough but brake fluid will still eat the paint.

1st couple photos were with a phone so not the best quality.

post-24566-0-25535100-1364419581_thumb.jpg

post-24566-0-92892000-1364419607_thumb.jpg

post-24566-0-86430600-1364419630_thumb.jpg

post-24566-0-25535100-1364419581_thumb.jpg

post-24566-0-92892000-1364419607_thumb.jpg

post-24566-0-86430600-1364419630_thumb.jpg

I think mine turned out pretty well with the Torch Red G2 paint. I sprayed mine. If I was to do it over I would have gone powder coat. The G2 paint is tough but brake fluid will still eat the paint.

1st couple photos were with a phone so not the best quality.

From what I've been told, Brembo doesn't recommend powdercoat since it retains too much heat in the caliper. They are painted from the factory.

Your setup came out looking great. Did you sand first? How did you spray with G2 I thought it came brush only.

Yes, I scuffed everything and then masked off the pistons, seals, and bleeders which I replace after painting. You can spray the G2. It does not need to be thinned but you cannot spray in high temps as the paint will dry too quickly. The paint needs time to level out before drying to prevent orange peel.

I've never heard a concern about powder coating and was under the impression that the black finish is a powder coat. I know its done frequently. I had discussed redoing my calipers with Mike from http://www.thepowdercoater.com/. I just never go around to sending them off.

Yes, I scuffed everything and then masked off the pistons, seals, and bleeders which I replace after painting. You can spray the G2. It does not need to be thinned but you cannot spray in high temps as the paint will dry too quickly. The paint needs time to level out before drying to prevent orange peel.

I've never heard a concern about powder coating and was under the impression that the black finish is a powder coat. I know its done frequently. I had discussed redoing my calipers with Mike from http://www.thepowdercoater.com/. I just never go around to sending them off.

Brembo sent me an email stating:

Below I’ve included some instructions for paint that will keep you out of trouble.

And by “trouble”, I mean the tough calls I get when someone has “prepped” their caliper to the point of being unusable.

· Custom Paint = follow instructions

· No powder coating

Now the question is to get them painted or DIY.

Archived