TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rode in a Roush 427R

Cobra Boy

I met a young man yesterday that had just purchased a Roush 427R mustang. I ask him to take me for a ride so here's my synopsis:

It sounded great. The Roush exhaust was right on the money. May have to look into getting those mufflers put on my car.

It rode good and hooked up okay, but when given the juice, it just didn't feel as powerful as my Shelby GT500.

The interior was great.

All in all, I don't think I would trade my Shelby off for one. It's a fine car but it doesn't say "Shelby GT 500" on it.

Thanks to the young man that gave me a ride though. I told him about this site and ecourage him to read a lot here as he can pick up lots of useful info.

By the way, I gave him a ride in my Shelby and I think he liked it a lot. :D

CB

Cobra boy ... what hp are those 427R Roush's rated at ?

It's funny that you brought this car up. I saw one yesterday afternoon, I never saw one before. I'll keep my SC GT 500.

I looked into the Roush 427R at the same time I was considering the GT500

I really like the Roush Mustangs

The major contributers were

Come on... a Shelby GT500

The nose on the GT500 is OFF THE HOOK

5.4 vs the 4.6 in huge

the potential for twisting power from the 5.4 is much more reliable than the 4.6

I love the sound of the Roush and agree I may have to match the muffs but for me

GT500 all the way baby

I looked into the Roush 427R at the same time I was considering the GT500

I really like the Roush Mustangs

The major contributers were

Come on... a Shelby GT500

The nose on the GT500 is OFF THE HOOK

5.4 vs the 4.6 in huge

the potential for twisting power from the 5.4 is much more reliable than the 4.6

I love the sound of the Roush and agree I may have to match the muffs but for me

GT500 all the way baby

Working at NASA you'd think I would know this. ;) My 4.6 has 281 cubic inches. How about the 5.4?

I've never been a fan of Roush or Saleen to be honest. They cost sooooo much for so little return when it's all said and done. All you are paying for on 99% of them is some plastic and stickers. They performance is pretty sad when compared to the cost of the vehicle.

Pound for pound over the years I have always gotten Cobras due to the superior power / engine setup. I don't see that changing in the near future.

Enjoy your cars, whatever your choices, but that's my opinion.

-DC

the roush handles a lot better stock/stock...but nothing about $1000 worth of suspension wont cure.

I would buy into handles a little better, not "A Lot"

unsure of the scale granularity

The GT500 handles very well out of the box. It can be improved, for both cars the improvements to the lateral Skid are on the order of +/-.01 improvements. the GT500 is heavier but well balanced. The Roush has that going for it.

Still wouldn't give up my Shelby

JMHO

We have them all in my family....the Roush 427R's are nice...but ride in one for a day...it beats ya to death...is way too loud(even louder than my FRPP Loud mufflers) And remember..its a Mustang GT motor with a very very small M90 supercharger on it. Dont get me wrong..they are wicked looking..handle great(not as good as my SC281 Saleen) and move out pretty good. But the Shelby GT500 is like you said..a Shelby..and the motor/trans and rear a so much better. I drive a 427R everyday and cant wait to get in my Shelby to feel how a Mustang should feel. But if I could..I would own them all!!!

If the cars do come down to sticker or close...lets see...Shelby GT500 capable of 800 rwhp plus for 43k

or the 427R for close to 50k with all the goodies that you want for handling and stopping(45k if you dont want the big brakes/fancy gauges with no boost gauge/fancy dash/seats/sill plates etc....) The Shelby is the bargain

We have them all in my family....the Roush 427R's are nice...but ride in one for a day...it beats ya to death...is way too loud(even louder than my FRPP Loud mufflers) And remember..its a Mustang GT motor with a very very small M90 supercharger on it. Dont get me wrong..they are wicked looking..handle great(not as good as my SC281 Saleen) and move out pretty good. But the Shelby GT500 is like you said..a Shelby..and the motor/trans and rear a so much better. I drive a 427R everyday and cant wait to get in my Shelby to feel how a Mustang should feel. But if I could..I would own them all!!!

If the cars do come down to sticker or close...lets see...Shelby GT500 capable of 800 rwhp plus for 43k

or the 427R for close to 50k with all the goodies that you want for handling and stopping(45k if you dont want the big brakes/fancy gauges with no boost gauge/fancy dash/seats/sill plates etc....) The Shelby is the bargain

well said

they are all still BA MUSTANGS

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to say that the Roush wasn't a good car. I was merely being "proud" of my purchase.

The Roush mustangs, the Saleen mustangs, they're all killer cars.

I wish I could afford the Super Snake package but I don't really need the 500 hp I have now.

The bottom line is..........

I would take any of these mustangs over a Camaro or Vette anyday.

CB

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to say that the Roush wasn't a good car. I was merely being "proud" of my purchase.

The Roush mustangs, the Saleen mustangs, they're all killer cars.

I wish I could afford the Super Snake package but I don't really need the 500 hp I have now.

The bottom line is..........

I would take any of these mustangs over a Camaro or Vette anyday.

CB

AMEN Brother

I would love to have the coin to SS my car. I would also love to say...I don't really need the 750 hp

I have now. Doesn't that have a nice ring to it :yup:

AMEN Brother

I would love to have the coin to SS my car. I would also love to say...I don't really need the 750 hp

I have now. Doesn't that have a nice ring to it :yup:

i'll bet it sounds good going down the street.

maybe one day...........

cb

• 2 weeks later...
I've never been a fan of Roush or Saleen to be honest. They cost sooooo much for so little return when it's all said and done. All you are paying for on 99% of them is some plastic and stickers. They performance is pretty sad when compared to the cost of the vehicle.

Pound for pound over the years I have always gotten Cobras due to the superior power / engine setup. I don't see that changing in the near future.

Enjoy your cars, whatever your choices, but that's my opinion.

-DC

Me too starting with my 93, had a new every few years since.

Archived