TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why is it that a aluminum Drive Shaft for my SGT cost twice as much as a aluminum drive shaft for the previous generation Mustangs?

Bob,

I thought it was because our cars were twice as awesome. B) Either way, I got one because of the weight issue.

Jim

Why is it that a aluminum Drive Shaft for my SGT cost twice as much as a aluminum drive shaft for the previous generation Mustangs?

I'm a Harley guy (as in Harley-Davidson motorcycles) from way back. I've been a Harley guy for pretty much most of my life (since I was a little kid, I was raised around "1%'r" Motorcycle Clubs).

The generic term for Harley-Davidson (publicly recognized) is "H-D" (for short, HD).

There's been a long standing joke that HD doesn't so much mean Harley-Davidson anymore but in truth (and accuracy) it now menas "Hundred Dollars" (slang; Hunnert Dollars) because when you go into a Harley-Davidson dealership to buy dang near ANYTHING with the Harley brand, "HD" REALLY means "Hundred Dollars"...Because THAT'S what you're gonna pay for it (in multiples for the most part).

You need a widget for your HD (Harley)? HUNNERT DOLLARS!

You want a HD (Harley) tee-shirt? HUNNERT DOLLARS!

Oil and filter? No problem, HUNNERT DOLLARS!

So SGT must mean something like "Sure Got Taken!" or something like that.

It is FACT that many parts cost you WAYYYYY more money if they're branded with certain brands. Mercedes Benz comes to mine. I was looking through a parts book at work one time and saw a DISTRIBUTOR CAP (for a 8 cyl) that had a list (MSRP) on it of......ready?......EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS.

Now what the FUG makes a gawd dern DISTRIBUTOR CAP worth $800? Even if the terminals were SOLID GOLD (and this was in the late 80's when Gold prices were low), it would cost 800 bucks.

I've seen the same with BMW and Porsche (hmm, see a trend here? As in Germany???)

So now y'all is gonna need to come up with something clever that SGT stands for indicating that if it's SGT tagged, it's gonna cost you a Small Gawddamn Townhouse!

Phill

I would say Phil is referring to the eight hunnert dollar drive shaft.

Correct-o-mundo! Ya didn't know I was bilingual, did ya!

From the original post (complete text):

"Why is it that a aluminum Drive Shaft for my SGT cost twice as much as a aluminum drive shaft for the previous generation Mustangs?"

Phillipe

Archived