TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need opinion on which 500 now?

OK. I really do take opinions seriously. Here are my offers right now. I wanted a convertible which I did have a Shelby GT vert and my kids now 9 and 8 loved it and wanted to get that to drive them here and there during the summer. I also love the coupes which I have had 2 other Shelby's with but never really took my kids out as it was easier and more fun with vert. I like the looks of both and I do have to ship to NY. What would you do.

First offer is an 07 Tungsten Coupe with SS stripes and under 10,000 miles. Dealer wanted $36k I can get it for $32k

Second is 07 Tungsten Vert Stripe delete with under 4k miles. Dealer wanted $35k. He will only go $34,500.

Which?

gt5001.jpg

gt500vert_zpsb54743bf.jpg

I go with the vert (of course because I have two of them)

Should be able to do a bit better on the price I think

6 year old cars with no miles on them.

Rubber is over 6 years old need to be replaced

Clutch TSB probably never done on either 2K after market clutch

Cars don't like to sit; there are seals that need to be regularly lubed. These units could have been bought by folks hopping to cash in on the limited production 07s (yea limited to a 7 year run). If the cars have not been properly stored,started and serviced could be trouble.

If I was buying used I would be looking at a private sale with a few more miles (some one who has enjoyed the car and cared for it).

FYI- 07 Verts never got the over the top stripes.

I go with the vert (of course because I have two of them)

Should be able to do a bit better on the price I think

6 year old cars with no miles on them.

Rubber is over 6 years old need to be replaced

Clutch TSB probably never done on either 2K after market clutch

Cars don't like to sit; there are seals that need to be regularly lubed. These units could have been bought by folks hopping to cash in on the limited production 07s (yea limited to a 7 year run). If the cars have not been properly stored,started and serviced could be trouble.

If I was buying used I would be looking at a private sale with a few more miles (some one who has enjoyed the car and cared for it).

FYI- 07 Verts never got the over the top stripes.

What is the clucth TSB for this particular one? Will ford still honor?

Here is the TSB link

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/36724-what-to-tell-the-dealer-about-your-clutch-problem/page__hl__%20clutch%20%20drag%20%20tsb

and here is Grabber talking about it

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=37627

Will ford fix it on a 6 year old car. Good luck with that. Mine was replaced at 12K or so and then an after market around 25K.

Here is the TSB link

http://www.teamshelb...utch drag tsb

http://www.teamshelb...attach_id=37627

Will ford fix it on a 6 year old car. Good luck with that. Mine was replaced at 12K or so and then an after market around 25K.

So you feel i'm going to have clutch trouble? What do you think of the price?

No question, vert! I'm on my 3rd Mustang vert (72, 92, 07) and my 9th vert overall. Actually, I've never been without a vert since I was 16. Vert!

I've got 35k on ours, great grand touring car. Check out my profile pic on the dragon's tail. We take it everywhere. Fast, comfortable and topless when you want it! BTW, 07 verts only came with side stripes, no over the hood.....

Have fun!

Here is the TSB link

http://www.teamshelb...utch drag tsb

http://www.teamshelb...attach_id=37627

I wouldn't sweat the clutch question...I've had two '08's (still in the "bad" clutch era) that i've done 20k hard on each...ZERO issues. It is still a relatively small number percentage wise of all cars built.

Like Glen said, tires may be close to needing to be replaced based on age. If the car has been indoors, you should get another year or two.

Red seat inserts an either?

Coupe or 'vert...hmm, I've had both...really depends what kind of a driver you are. If the car is for you and your lady to cruise around in, then 'vert. If you want to be a track junkie...coupe

Good luck, both look like great cars

No question, vert! I'm on my 3rd Mustang vert (72, 92, 07) and my 9th vert overall. Actually, I've never been without a vert since I was 16. Vert!

I've got 35k on ours, great grand touring car. Check out my profile pic on the dragon's tail. We take it everywhere. Fast, comfortable and topless when you want it! BTW, 07 verts only came with side stripes, no over the hood.....

Have fun!

I am with The Wheel Man!

I have had 3 Mustang Vert's, too, and I would have a hard time without one. It all started with a friend in high school, who's generous mom let us cruise around in her '85 5.0 Vert (If I remember year right, I am at least close). The first time I rode in it, I was hooked. Then I bought my first, a '92 5.0, then a '02GT, and now an '08 GT500.

For me, the experience is completely enhanced with the top down. I have the KR mufflers, and when the top down the sound is intoxicating. I can't get enought of that sound. The sound at full throttle is amazing.

I am sure a coupe is a more structurally solid car, and a bit lighter, so must be slightly faster, but my '08 will break the tires loose at 40mph, so it is plenty fast for me (except I still want to put a CAI and tune, just because...).

Archived