TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Notable / Significant Historical Shelby Race Car Numbers?

07SGT5687

Someone... <cough> Ed <cough> stole my numbers for the RMMR autocross, so now I have to find a new number and get new magnetics...

I like my numbers to be significant at such Mustang specific events, so help me out... now that my #15 is out of the question... what other notoable / significant / historical Shelby or Mustang race car numbers could I use that others might recognize?

Since the Shelby GT was supposed to be retro to the GT350, are there any notable GT350 race car numbers that come to mind? Trans-Am?

Aaaaaaand GO!

Thanks, JR

17 is another historical Terlingua Racing T/A number. 05 is another good number. However all those numbers are going to be tough to get for the RMMR. I believe we are over 140 entries in the first 24 hours of the entry being opened up. I'm guessing the autocross will be sold out in the first two days. I got my 102 number! :)

Plenty of 2-digit GT350 numbers: 61, 29, 70, 18, 14, 11, as well as 17 and 31. TransAm (1, 2, 15, 16, 9)...but with 140 entries already I don't see any of those happening. You may have to go to Cobra and Daytona Coupe numbers to get more 3-digit choices (198, 298, 186, 187, 188). Stay away from 666 though, though with you folks rear view mirror maybe they'll move aside if they think the Devil is coming for them.

It's official. Autocross sold out in just about 24 hours. Already over 200 entries for this years Rocky Mountain Mustang Round-up in less than two days! Other good Shelby Race numbers:

#1 Used all across Shelby race cars in Trans Am, Daytona, LeMans

#2 Dan Gurney/Peter Revson Boss 302 number run by Shelby 1969-1970 (Also used on Terlingua colored car 67-68 I believe) Also used on GT40's, Daytona's in Daytona and LeMans

#13 was used quite a bit on Daytona's and others

#66, #70, #98 used on a number of GT350 race cars.

hmmm.... thanks for the suggestions... and GLAD I remembered to register when I did! Sounds like a record year is in the making in Steamboat! In fact, I just called to book my rooms! Got the scenic view of the Meadows Lot from the Trail Head Lodge again!

As for the numbers... Thanks again for the suggestions. Nothing is jumping out at me though... I'm probably making a bigger deal out of this than I should (that's how I roll). Going to see if "07" is available (2007 SGT)... then if not, i'll roll down the list of numbers you guys provided and see what Bob has available.

Thanks again! JR

If I remember correctly, in 1968 Shelby had a Trans-Am team of two dark blue Mustangs. And again, if I remember correctly, the numbers were 1 and 2. That should be significant as they were Mustangs. The Bud Moore Team, with Parnelli Jones and George Follmer were 15 and 16. Mark Donohue, Captain Nice, in the Z 28 camaro was number 6.

Contrary to Post #4 I don't believe Shelby raced Trans Am in 1970. I think Ford sponsored only one team, Bud Moore. And I thing Dan Gurney moved to Chrysler in 1970 with the Cuda so Gurney did not drive for Shelby in 1970.

You are correct, I knew the car was still a T/A car in 1970, but it was moved from Shelby to Bud Moore's team. The last time that car ran under the Shelby banner was in 1969.

Carroll Shelby's favorite number was 98. You could get #7 instead of 07 if taken. Maybe 46 for 4.6, even 282 for cubic inch.

I seen you make us 4.6 SGT owners proud at Hastings Motor Speedway taking on those Boss 302's and GT 500's. My number would try to remind the compitition what is under the hood.

k, so I submitted my list of preferential numbers to Bob. We'll see what I end up with.

@2+2 - that was a great time at Hastings! Too bad so many guys messed up their cars though... goes to show how a little big brother action from someone like NASA can keep the carnage to a minimum (or zero). And I had a ball chasing/beating those BOSS 302s! Had my rotors not cracked all to hell on Sunday I would have made "The Table"... I know it! Good time... a must for next year! Hope to see you there!

• 4 months later...

Archived