TEAM SHELBY FORUM

AutoWeek tests the 2013 GT500 'vert

ilmor

i have to agree with him about the sound of the engine, I feel stupid for ordering the shaker audio since I spend most of my time driving with the top dpwn and radio off so I can hear the engine. downshifting in a tunnel with the top down was way cool.

Ha ha yeah I seldom if ever have my audio playing in the Shelby GT. It's a shame to drown out that beautiful 4.6 exhaust music.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems as if the majority of the 2013 owners are quite satisfied with the job that the SVT engineers have done on the stock system.

I'm more than satisified with the sound of the stock system, just the right amount of rumble and pitch during acceleration. had my step-dad over this weekend to check out the new Shelby, he collects and races classic cars and said the sound of the shelby was one of the best he's ever heard on any car.

I'm more than satisified with the sound of the stock system, just the right amount of rumble and pitch during acceleration. had my step-dad over this weekend to check out the new Shelby, he collects and races classic cars and said the sound of the shelby was one of the best he's ever heard on any car.

It's the best sounding GT500 I've ever heard from the factory...this is one car that I would not mod the exhaust system.

It's the best sounding GT500 I've ever heard from the factory...this is one car that I would not mod the exhaust system.

+1. That was one of the first mods I did to my '08 GT500. It was quieter than the 6 cylinder. But, the new '13 I agree is great straight off the assembly line. No desire to change it.

+1 on the stock exhaust...yes the svt guys did an excellent job on making those exhaust gases sound like an orchestra. Mod GT500 your car sounds awesome since drmustang can do nothing but rant about how he got beat on his exhaust system. IMO your an assclown drmustang :finger:

Interesting discussion concerning Borla... My examples, all Verts....

My 03 Terminator: The Borla Stingers ARE radical, and do drone. Lots of folks like them, and continue to install them. I did "the quiet Borla" Catback, a little louder, and deeper with no drone, 0. Liked them a lot... Also picked up about 35 rwhp with the stock H Pipe,, made with 304 Stainless. A friend of mine's KB Terminator has Bassani mid-length's thru a Y Pipe, Hi-Flow Cats, and a Magna-flow Cat-back... Sounds like a Cup car when he hammers it, mean....

My 09 Gt 500, liked the Borlas, [Not the Stingers], went with the Frpp KR's with the stock Y Pipe and like them. Little to no drone. Should probably add an H Pipe, for a real deep muscle car sound, have hear that set-up and liked it. The Borla "Touring" also sound good. The best axle-back I've heard is the MMS Axleback from Alex at Mackenzie Mustang, here on the site.

Looking at a New '14 to order. Noticed FRPP has released a New "Sport" system for the "13"'s, but no picture shown in the new catalog. Many times they are Borla... Heard the ATAK system on a '12, sounded good and the owner liked it... Says it didn't drone.... They seem to have 3 models for most of the Mustangs now... Pretty expensive, although they are made with 304 Stainless, I think....

Borla sucks, so does Bassani. Overpriced junk that does nothing for performance and only makes aggravating noise and drone. The stock exhaust note is outstanding, reasonably aggressive, and a quality sound, keep it and forget about this overpriced crap.

My Borla Stingers were the best Mod I've made to my GT500. The sound isn't aggravating by any stretch and they look much better than the junk stock exhaust. While I loved the sound of my GT500 before I switched the mufflers, the Borlas really bring out the true sound of the engine, not magnify or distort it. I think the ATAKs may be overboard (at least to me) but the stock GT500 exhaust is by no means perfect.

Your Terminator made 35 more HP on a Dyno by replacing the catback? Really

Not uncommon at all. Remember the 03 Eaton supercharger was very loud and to pass noise regulations the exhaust had to be very quiet (i.e. very restrictive). The pipe necked down to just over 2.25" outside diameter, probably 2" inside diameter, right before the mufflers. Large gains on those cars with a just a cat back and cold air intake.

The 13 is the other way, very quiet supercharge so they could add a little sound to the exhaust and still pass noise regulations.

Yes it did DR, on a Dynojet, SAE.. New Ford Re-man motor from Steve at Tousley, 1600 miles on it. Stock closed intake, pulley, idler, stock Ford Tune, 362 Rwhp, right in line, replaced the stock cat-back, went to RET's Dyno Day, 395 Rwhp.... Sheet went with the car when I sold it.. Sounded and ran a lot better, Ted has it right above... Miss the Term. every day.

Archived