TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Vert speed limiter

bergenfelter

Could you elaborate on keeping the roof intact? I was thinking from a safety standpoint - not much difference between 155 MPH and 202 MPH.

There is a HUGE difference between 155 and 202 mph.

Don't believe me? Take the speed limiter off of any 2010/11/12 GT500 and see if you can get it past 185mph. Ain't gonna happen. Motor Trend (or some other mag) tried it in the FLYING mile (3 miles of strip) and could only get it to 186mph.

Air is like water (i.e. DENSE) at speed. The faster you go, the denser it gets.

I've seen photo's of a 'vert at high speed. The roof is being pulled up in a big crown. Know why roof flaps are mandatory in NASCAR now? Because at 190+ when the cars got sideways and air got under them, it would LIFT the car (the leading edge, not the trailing edge!) and turn it into a wing without a fuselage. THAT'S how 'dense' air can get at speed.

But having said that, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that Ford is more concerned with the car going turtle at high speeds and they don't want a bunch of new partners after getting sued by the families of headless horsemen.

Phill

Thank you Phill - that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I know from a physics standpoint there is a huge difference - the force goes up with the square of the speed - just did not seem to be too big a difference if you mess up at 155 vs. 202. Not going to be much left.

Made me chuckle a bit though - brought back memories of those early eighties Chrysler LeBaron verts that would balloon up at 55 MPH hurtling down the freeway.

- just did not seem to be too big a difference if you mess up at 155 vs. 202. Not going to be much left.

The big difference would be if the car got sideways at 155 vs 200. BOTH will lift at 200 but one will have a roof to help protect you.

Ford Motor Company execs ain't stupid and they have BANKS of lawyers to advise them. Like I said, my money is on not killing someone by letting them go past 155 without a hard top on the car.

IIRC, my 2010 coupe has a 5 star rating in all categories, including rollover. I wonder if the 'Verts get the 5 star on rollover?

Anyone know?

Phill

The big difference would be if the car got sideways at 155 vs 200. BOTH will lift at 200 but one will have a roof to help protect you.

Ford Motor Company execs ain't stupid and they have BANKS of lawyers to advise them. Like I said, my money is on not killing someone by letting them go past 155 without a hard top on the car.

IIRC, my 2010 coupe has a 5 star rating in all categories, including rollover. I wonder if the 'Verts get the 5 star on rollover?

Anyone know?

Phill

Just checked my window sticker - 2013 Vert - 5 star rating in rollover protection.

Got some input on this one on a post over on SVT. One of the SVT reps weighed in. It had to do with top damage. Liability isn't going to be any different on a rollover at 120 or 156. It has to do with the top. My next question is, what happens if the top's down?

I doubt that the 5 star rating in a vert will assist you much (nor will a hard top) in a rollover at 126, 155, or 202 mph since it won't make just one revolution (unless it collides with a fixed object that doesn't give way before going into the second). I doubt that the tests NTHSA mandates occurs at those speeds since a considerable number of the vehicles manufactured cannot reach the latter two speeds and all are illegal on United States roadways.

Of course, I'm not an engineer, but 20 years in law enforcement (including five in accident investigations) provided me with adequate anecdotal evidence that crashes at those speeds are not something many people will be around to discuss afterwards.

That sounds about right, and they most likely used a stock bare bones Mustang with no addtional features, not a $60-$70k fully equipped 13 GT500. They may even be able to use a prior year's results if they can state that no signifcant changes have occurred to the structure of the vehicle, meaning you could be looking at test results from the first year the S197 body was used. However, I'll freely admit that is pure conjecture on my part.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone successfully had the limiter removed through a tune or some other means yet? When my vert comes in I'll want the limiter removed. I probably won't venture past 155 but knowing its there will haunt me.

I know the 07 roofs will stay on at 165 and the 10s will stay on at 170+

Will the 13 roof stay on at 200+ not sure; do I want to try; not sure anything above 145 starts to get scary.

Archived