TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Recommendations? Flowmaster or Borla?

Flowmaster or Borla  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Flowmaster or Borla?

• Flowmaster
    • Borla

I think I'm going to replace my original SGT mufflers in lieu of welding my broken hanger...

So what do you guys recommend of these two options?

Flowmaster $429 http://www.shelbystore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Z43-817410

Borla $339 on sale. http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/11752.htm

I had the ATs on my 07 GT and '08 GT500. They sound good and the drone wasn't too bad. I replaced the 08' GT500 exhaust with several other systems throughout ownership ending with the Roush Extremes, which was the best IMO.

I would have installed the Roush on my '12 but they changed the design to a casiter-type system on 11+. As such, I went with the S-types and I'm completely satisfied in both sound and quality. I know that they sound a little different on earlier models, but I'd still recommend Borla over Flowmaster, especially at that price... GL

It comes down to what sound best to you.

I have always had Flowmasters on my Mustangs and now my Shelby. I like the two chamber design, and don't have an issue with any "drone" while driving. On my older 5.0, they were nicely loud but not obnoxious......But I would set off car alarms every time I drove through a parking garage. On my Shelby I wish they were a little louder, as I like to hear my exhaust while I drive.

I also had a 1995 BMW M3 "clone" that had Borla. On the BMW they sounded more raspy and higher pitched. Best way to put it is European sounding. At full throttle it sounded like a mini Formula 1 car.

Both brands are high quality, and lasted a long time (in excess of 15 years....and still going strong)

Z-man

If you have narrowed to just these two, my vote goes to Borla------great price too. However, did you consider the FR500S? I ended up installing the Ford Racing FR500S mufflers on my 07SGT. These fit perfectly, look great, sound great, and seem to fit the SGT like they were made for it........

http://www.americanm...back-05091.html

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/72208-2007-shelby-gt-fr500sford-racing-m-5230-s-exhaust/page__fromsearch__1

If you have narrowed to just these two, my vote goes to Borla------great price too. However, did you consider the FR500S? I ended up installing the Ford Racing FR500S mufflers on my 07SGT. These fit perfectly, look great, sound great, and seem to fit the SGT like they were made for it........

http://www.americanm...back-05091.html

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/72208-2007-shelby-gt-fr500sford-racing-m-5230-s-exhaust/page__fromsearch__1

I am considering those...but for $200 more I'm not sure it's a wise move!

Don't rule out Magnaflow. They make some very cool stuff, like the MagnaPack setup.

Jer

Don't rule out Magnaflow. They make some very cool stuff, like the MagnaPack setup.

Jer

Magnaflow 15882

Jer is wise. Magnaflow Magnapack's are awesome. In fact, Jer, didn't Roger run those on his Shelby GT in the past? Of course, there's a price delta there too.......

ilmor, the exhaust search can drive you crazy. How much are you willing to spend?

Jer is wise. Magnaflow Magnapack's are awesome. In fact, Jer, didn't Roger run those on his Shelby GT in the past? Of course, there's a price delta there too.......

ilmor, the exhaust search can drive you crazy. How much are you willing to spend?

It is driving me crazy...but I would say that $500 to $550 including shipping is my limit. No more.

I figured it was driving you crazy because it drove me crazy and drives lots of us crazy. (Lots of crazy in that last sentence...:). We all want the perfect exhaust on our cars but there are so many choices. Then there's the fear of shelling out the $$ and not liking it. So, it's a good thing there are so many experiences out there....

So, consider you also do not want drone and you want the right amount of aggressiveness for you. I can assure you, there is ZERO drone on the FR500S's. It's natural for me to recommend them because they worked for me. However, I'm also a HUGE Borla fan too. I spent hours and hours on exhaust. The FR500S provides the balance of aggressiveness that I want with the brand, look, fitment, sound, etc. At first, I thought the 3.5" tips would be too small, however, they fit the SGT and look great. Grabber also helped me settle on these as he had direct experience with them(albeit on a GT500 but no matter ---- his direct experience helped me decide).

Honestly, I think you are going to want more aggressiveness than the Borla Turbo.

Did you listen to my video?

I've had the magna pacs, stock SGT manifolds off road x pipe drone was annoying, sounded bad ass, Mac muffler same setup sounded great but had a deeper tone, drone was brutal. Also have tried with my long tube setup MMS muffler with catted x pipe and they sound really nice but still drone. Also really liked the sound of my LTs off road x pipe and stock SGT mufflers no drone. Currently running Borla touring with Long tube headers off road x pipe and love it. Deeper tone than stock SGT mufflers and no drone. spent a ton of money trying to figure out the best sound. I hate drone at highway speeds so I settled on a quieter muffler that doesn't drone. I'd like to try the KR's but I don't like the look of the smaller tip 3.5" compare to the 4" tip off the stockers. My next test set maybe the "s" type Borlas with cats.

Go w/OEM Borla and they are on sale.

The OEM were not Borla, but funny you mention that. I can get the OEM Ford Racing M-5230-GTA's for $274 free shipping from BlueOvalIndustries.com. I'm going to call them to make sure what they have matches the photo, I.e. it has the improved hangers that don't fail. I really want to stay w Ford & Shelby badged products to the extent possible. I'd go w the KR mufflers but I just don't want to spend that much. I like the sound of the GTA's. I only need the passenger side anyway (the driver side was replaced under warranty and has the better hangers), so if I get them ill have a spare driver side.

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/ex1520.html

It is driving me crazy...but I would say that $500 to $550 including shipping is my limit. No more.

Ilmor,

I have the KR mufflers on my SGT after an exhaustive search like you are doing. What finally pushed me over the edge go purchase the KR mufflers was when I heard a 2008 KR sitting next to my SGT at a show one morning. Immediately fell in love with the sound, and yes, it is almost 100% exactly the same on the SGT. Even the KR owner said so then next time we met up at the same show a few months later (its a show that happens once a month - first Sunday morning each month called Caffeine & Octane).

I bought mine from www.buyfordracing.com for right at $500 with free shipping, and easily installed in my garage in 1+ hours. I love the sound so much that I would go out and just start the car every couple of days just so I could hear that sound again. Now that I added the Shorty headers and the sound has changed some, I really miss that awesome sound from the stock exhaust system mated to the KR mufflers.

Hope that helps!!

Andy.

Ilmor,

I have the KR mufflers on my SGT after an exhaustive search like you are doing. What finally pushed me over the edge go purchase the KR mufflers was when I heard a 2008 KR sitting next to my SGT at a show one morning. Immediately fell in love with the sound, and yes, it is almost 100% exactly the same on the SGT. Even the KR owner said so then next time we met up at the same show a few months later (its a show that happens once a month - first Sunday morning each month called Caffeine & Octane).

I bought mine from www.buyfordracing.com for right at $500 with free shipping, and easily installed in my garage in 1+ hours. I love the sound so much that I would go out and just start the car every couple of days just so I could hear that sound again. Now that I added the Shorty headers and the sound has changed some, I really miss that awesome sound from the stock exhaust system mated to the KR mufflers.

Hope that helps!!

Andy.

Andy, thanks for the comment and that does help - however - I just can't seem to make myself come up with $500+ for this now...

If you need a temporary original, I still have my old SGT mufflers in the box that the KRs came in and you are welcome to borrow the muffler you need until you have the spending $$$ for what you want. Just let me know which one you need...We can find the cheapest shipping method from GA to you. Mine is still in excellent shape with only about 15k miles on it.

Let me know if that helps you in the short run.

Andy.

If you need a temporary original, I still have my old SGT mufflers in the box that the KRs came in and you are welcome to borrow the muffler you need until you have the spending $$$ for what you want. Just let me know which one you need...We can find the cheapest shipping method from GA to you. Mine is still in excellent shape with only about 15k miles on it.

Let me know if that helps you in the short run.

Andy.

Andy that's a very nice offer and I appreciate it, however I'm just gonna go with the OEMs. I like their sound and, anyway, I found out this morning that our great tax & spend government is letting our payroll taxes rise 2% ouch so some spending has gotta stop!

Actually - I'm forgetting the idea of buying from Blue Oval Industries after reading this thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/58815-beware-of-blue-oval-industries/page__hl__+blue%20+oval%20+industries__st__40

Jer, you'll be seeing an order for those Borla Turbos in just a few minutes! Done!

Actually - I'm forgetting the idea of buying from Blue Oval Industries after reading this thread:

http://www.teamshelb...ustries__st__40

Jer, you'll be seeing an order for those Borla Turbos in just a few minutes! Done!

For what it is worth I've ordered from Blue oval several times and have had great service, returned an item and they were very easy to deal with.

Here are some videos of my SGT supercharged with Pypes Long Tube Headers offroad H pipe. One is with Stock SGT mufflers (GTA's) other is Borla Touring.

http://s944.beta.pho.../Muffler Videos

For what it is worth I've ordered from Blue oval several times and have had great service, returned an item and they were very easy to deal with.

Here are some videos of my SGT supercharged with Pypes Long Tube Headers offroad H pipe. One is with Stock SGT mufflers (GTA's) other is Borla Touring.

I just didn't want to take the chance of dealing with an internet order sales issue! Thanks for those vids; I really like the deeper sound of the Borlas.

Great vids! They just sold me on a pair of Borlas too. Why did you choose the touring over the atak model?

Great vids! They just sold me on a pair of Borlas too. Why did you choose the touring over the atak model?

At the time my SGT was a DD so I went for the quieter setup now I'm wishing I would have gotten the others.

imma little late to the party....but i went with a slp loud mouth set up....but at a local exhaust shop who custom bent the exhaust...i got straight out not rolled and it rools with the bumper....coupled with stock cats and x pipe....and jba shorties....it purrs at idle....loud start up....but quiet after a minute or so....after igot them installed i had my dad take it for a drive, hes light on the throttle till we were in town when a chevy truck was beside us and the guy kept taunting us so itold dad let him have it....and he did...and my dad sunk into his seat cause he thought every cop in a 5 ile radius would hear us haha....so all in all quiet at idle, drone at 70-75ish and amazing sound at WOT....did i mention slp loudmouths are 370ish....i paid 210 and they installed :)

side note with the new exhaust my daughters (ages 3 & 4) thinks its funny and love the sound "faster daddy faster!!!!" so i rev it a little ;)

imma little late to the party....but i went with a slp loud mouth set up....but at a local exhaust shop who custom bent the exhaust...i got straight out not rolled and it rools with the bumper....coupled with stock cats and x pipe....and jba shorties....it purrs at idle....loud start up....but quiet after a minute or so....after igot them installed i had my dad take it for a drive, hes light on the throttle till we were in town when a chevy truck was beside us and the guy kept taunting us so itold dad let him have it....and he did...and my dad sunk into his seat cause he thought every cop in a 5 ile radius would hear us haha....so all in all quiet at idle, drone at 70-75ish and amazing sound at WOT....did i mention slp loudmouths are 370ish....i paid 210 and they installed :)

side note with the new exhaust my daughters (ages 3 & 4) thinks its funny and love the sound "faster daddy faster!!!!" so i rev it a little ;)

Haaaa funny story - my daughter likes the Shelby noise too :-)

Archived