TEAM SHELBY FORUM

head unit upgrade for 08 gt

77vinny

Happy new year to all! when I got this shelby gt, it had been upgraded with an alpine 205 multimedia/nav system. I suspect it is about 4 years old. My sirius stratus five plugs into the aux port and works good. the shaker 1000 rocks. The Nav sucks, as does the blutooth. (screen is shakey) Called alpine and they said it was the "Blackbird" portable unit that fits inside the HU. Non repairable. I would like to know what others have installed for HU in their shelbys. I'm not into NAV.

I have considered : Pioneer AVh-5500bt, Kenwood 7719, and the alpine ine-w535. any recommendations on units that have worked for you? thanks, vinny

I put in the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH about 6 months ago and love it. I put all new speakers and subs and the Shelby Kicker amp. The dual iPod ports, Bluetooth and backup camera are my most favorite features so far. Although I doubt I'll be watching Bullitt, Smokey and the Bandit or my fav Vanishing Point on the head unit, the video is exceptional. stickerposted.jpgSAM_1989.jpg I sure wish someone would look at fixing the site for IE10.

Not a problem. I've got all the numbers if you are thinking of upgrading the door subs, amps and other speakers as well, just PM me and I'll send you that and some pics of the install.

I put in the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH about 6 months ago and love it. I put all new speakers and subs and the Shelby Kicker amp. The dual iPod ports, Bluetooth and backup camera are my most favorite features so far. Although I doubt I'll be watching Bullitt, Smokey and the Bandit or my fav Vanishing Point on the head unit, the video is exceptional. stickerposted.jpgSAM_1989.jpg I sure wish someone would look at fixing the site for IE10.

Where did you install the back up camera at, in the trunk key hole or is it a license plate frame camera?

Thanks,

Tim

I have Kenwood double DIN head units in both cars. A DDX6019 in the CS6, been in there 5 years or so now with zero issues & a DNX5160 in the Escape - getting on for 2 years in there & again zero issues.

I've had a Pioneer double DIN HU before, in a different vehicle, no issues with that but prefer the Nav interface (Garmin) on the Kenwoods.

I can remember when Alpine made good head units but these days I'd steer clear & go for Kenwood or Pioneer. If you don't want Nav it'll come down to which user interface you prefer.

+1 on upgrading the speakers though. I thought the stockers were ok until I put the infinitys in the CS but then had to replace the door subs to keep up with the better quality & clarity of sound. Also had to upgrade the Escapes speakers too.

• 1 year later...

Archived