TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'06, '07, '16 & '22 GT-Hs Currently For Sale On Various Websites............(Updated: 4/23/24)

HERTZ II

Hey Guys..........

I can't add anything to the painted caliper mystery but locking lug nuts may have been removed just to make tire changing/rotation easier.

I can tell you where the car was from the auction sale in Dec 2006 to the current owner's purchase in Nov 2007. Brighton Ford (Brighton, CO.) purchased it at auction and had it for sale at their dealership until it was purchased in Nov 2007.

Yep, they had two or three of them for about a year. They paid so much for them at auction when they thought they were all going to sell for a bunch, but then the market dropped in a mater of weeks to the high $40K range and then to the 30's within the first year after the first few sold at those crazy amounts.

Not at the time. This was one of the early cars sold by Hertz. The first few batches in late 2006 in this area sold at an average of $55-$65K at the dealer auctions. I'm pretty sure that Brighton Ford had this one, along with #100 which I rented and really wanted at the time, but they paid $58K at auction for it. The first few were selling to the public for $75K plus at the time.

Man Steve, you are really going to stick with this non belief that any of these cars had spray painted calipers as rental cars aren't you? I have pictures of many as rental cars (including above referenced car) with painted calipers when they were rentals. I don't know who did it, but somebody did. I'll take it for a fact that nobody at SAI did, but somebody did. Here's #100 rented by me in June 2006. I was the first renter. Notice the temp tag in the rear window. They rented it to me before they even plated it. They never do that.

All rental cars at the 2006 Rocky Mountain Mustang Round-up, all had painted calipers as we were discussing how crappy the paint was that very day as there was over spray in the wheel wells on the rotors. We just blew it off as a last minute thing which was done at the time. I'm pretty sure it was #88 in the middle below. #100 on the right with the temp tag. I actually won a trophy as I hand polished mine multiple times (yes, as a rental car) I even trailered it to Steamboat Springs from Denver to keep it clean.

I think you're misunderstanding me. What I'm saying is that black painted calipers either came from Ford from day one, were replacement calipers during rental service or were painted during/after rental duty. It would take a lot for me to believe that Hertz took delivery of these cars with bare metal calipers and had their rental lots paint the calipers black before they were ever put into the rental fleet.

Now did Hertz have the cars reconditioned/detailed after rental service but before Manheim auctioned them off? Very well could have.

All I'm trying to do is let folks know that SAI did not paint the calipers even though the prototype had painted calipers and the initial press release said they would be painted.

I'm all about documenting history wherever the facts lead us but to just take an ebay photo from 9 years after the car was built & rented as "proof" doesn't work for me especially when the photos in my opinion show that the car has been reconditioned/detailed in this area.

By the way that black paint looks way too shiny/nice to have been on those calipers with 16k miles of use for over 9 years in Colorado. I just don't see a rattle can paint job holding up that well for so long.

Steve

Hey Guys..........

I can't add anything to the painted caliper mystery but locking lug nuts may have been removed just to make tire changing/rotation easier.

I can tell you where the car was from the auction sale in Dec 2006 to the current owner's purchase in Nov 2007. Brighton Ford (Brighton, CO.) purchased it at auction and had it for sale at their dealership until it was purchased in Nov 2007.

Thank for the info Troy. That dealership owner must have some big bucks to shell out $61.5k and not sell the car for a full year. I guess it all depends on what they sold the car for.

Steve

I think you're misunderstanding me. What I'm saying is that black painted calipers either came from Ford from day one, were replacement calipers during rental service or were painted during/after rental duty. It would take a lot for me to believe that Hertz took delivery of these cars with bare metal calipers and had their rental lots paint the calipers black before they were ever put into the rental fleet.

Now did Hertz have the cars reconditioned/detailed after rental service but before Manheim auctioned them off? Very well could have.

All I'm trying to do is let folks know that SAI did not paint the calipers even though the prototype had painted calipers and the initial press release said they would be painted.

I'm all about documenting history wherever the facts lead us but to just take an ebay photo from 9 years after the car was built & rented as "proof" doesn't work for me especially when the photos in my opinion show that the car has been reconditioned/detailed in this area.

By the way that black paint looks way too shiny/nice to have been on those calipers with 16k miles of use for over 9 years in Colorado. I just don't see a rattle can paint job holding up that well for so long.

Steve

Steve, I hear you and completely agree. Only problem is that I have first hand experience (with the cars in my possession) of facts that would prove otherwise. I was first renter of #100. Me and my friends were discussing the painting of the calipers as it was done so poorly. The calipers, pads, caliper brackets and everything else was spray painted. There was overspray on the rotor edges and hats. Why I know is that I removed the wheels to detail behind them of the rental car. I was a little nuts about this entire Hertz Shelby thing at the time. My personal car which I bought (#102), I'm first owner after Hertz and saw evidence of the same painted calipers and pads, and brackets. My car was a San Diego car, so not just a Denver thing. No brake pad ever is spray painted. They all have silver or gold backing plates. I sure wish that I would have taken detailed pictures of this now. I just figured that they were all this way since I saw evidence of multiple cars myself. I never thought that this would become such a mystery. I hear you. But factory black calipers, wouldn't have painted black brake pads behind them. My original pads had that evidence, as when I removed them, you can see where they were not painted where the calipers covered them. I've also never seen factory black calipers on a 2006-2009 Mustang. If they were, they wouldn't just flake off either. They were all bare silver cast to my knowledge. Steve, you're my buddy and one of the most knowledgeable late model Shelby guys I know, but there is something to this. Hertz also installed the sirius units on these right? So they did spend quite a bit of time being modified in a Hertz garage before they got rental duty. So it's possible that this happened there. I know, it doesn't seem likely, but it did happen somewhere. There are just way to many examples out there of this.

Thank for the info Troy. That dealership owner must have some big bucks to shell out $61.5k and not sell the car for a full year. I guess it all depends on what they sold the car for.

Steve

It's not that they have big bucks, it's just that they got caught up in the hype after seeing how the first one's sold. I know because I was in there quite a few times trying to get #100. Just down the road from me. They kept thinking that they were going to get their money back on these, but nope, lost their butts on them, I guarantee.

My GT H like I have said before came off the truck from Shelby with black calipers. I was there when it was delivered to the Hertz Executive new. So either it was painted at Shelby or the transport company painted them. I'm pretty sure they did not. So I think Shelby did.

My GT H like I have said before came off the truck from Shelby with black calipers. I was there when it was delivered to the Hertz Executive new. So either it was painted at Shelby or the transport company painted them. I'm pretty sure they did not. So I think Shelby did.

You're leaving out another scenario. The Mustang arrived at SAI with black calipers from Flat Rock.

You're leaving out another scenario. The Mustang arrived at SAI with black calipers from Flat Rock.

But would Flat Rock have spray painted them while on the car? That's the part that I don't get unless that was pre-decided between Hertz and Ford? Anything is possible as we know this happened somewhere. These are not just black calipers from the brake manufacturer. These were spray painted on the car. I changed mine to take off GT500 Brembo's not long after I got it. I pulled my originals out of boxes last night and this is what the back side bottom looks like. Somebody knows something as there had to be communication about this at some level somewhere. Until we hear from the guy with the painted finger who held the can....... :) There has to be an answer!

brakecaliper_zps7oq6v6on.jpg

But would Flat Rock have spray painted them while on the car? That's the part that I don't get unless that was pre-decided between Hertz and Ford? Anything is possible as we know this happened somewhere. These are not just black calipers from the brake manufacturer. These were spray painted on the car. I changed mine to take off GT500 Brembo's not long after I got it. I pulled my originals out of boxes last night and this is what the back side bottom looks like. Somebody knows something as there had to be communication about this at some level somewhere. Until we hear from the guy with the painted finger who held the can....... :) There has to be an answer!

Would you agree that the caliper below is black in color? Yes brake heat and road grime has taken its toll on the black finish but do you agree that this caliper has an original black finish?

Img_1047aa.jpg

Maybe Akos (AJ) can chime in as he was the production manager during the builds. I recall him mentioning in the past that SAI did not paint them. However, maybe he knows/recalls what the arrangement/agreement was if any on the brake calipers painting mystery.

Edited by H0050

Would you agree that the caliper below is black in color? Yes brake heat and road grime has taken its toll on the black finish but do you agree that this caliper has an original black finish?

Looks like it, but lots of wear on that one to be sure. Looks like there is paint flaking off of the caliper and the caliper bracket.

Looks like it, but lots of wear on that one to be sure. Looks like there is paint flaking off of the caliper and the caliper bracket.

Ok now look at this pic of the same caliper.

Notice anything that couldn't be there if the caliper was painted by SAI, Hertz or someone reconditioning the car for sale?

Img_1048aa.jpg

Steve, if I'm understanding what you are trying to get at, is that on your car, your calipers and brackets were black also and are peeling, but because you can see the part numbers with no paint in them, you're saying the calipers were black from the factory? That very well may be.

I have looked at hundreds and hundreds of images of 2006 Mustang GT's where you can see the brake calipers. I've looked at car shows and other, and have yet to see any other Mustangs where the calipers did not have factory bare metal calipers and brackets. Sure, I've found some where the owners have painted them, but no others that look like above with black pealing paint. I have no answers. I can only atest to my own experience and experience of others here.

Edited by JeffJ

Steve, if I'm understanding what you are trying to get at, is that on your car, your calipers and brackets were black also and are peeling, but because you can see the part numbers with no paint in them, you're saying the calipers were black from the factory? That very well may be.

I have looked at hundreds and hundreds of images of 2006 Mustang GT's where you can see the brake calipers. I've looked at car shows and other, and have yet to see any other Mustangs where the calipers did not have factory bare metal calipers and brackets. Sure, I've found some where the owners have painted them, but no others that look like above with black pealing paint. I have no answers. I can only atest to my own experience and experience of others here.

Jeff,

The most difficult problem we are encountering with this subject is who knows what happened to the cars once they entered rental duty. We have SAI records and employee recollections that SAI did not paint the calipers black and we have seen many low mile, unrented cars go thru the various auction houses with unpainted calipers.

Now on the other hand I've now posted pics of a black caliper that could not have been painted by SAI, Hertz or a re-conditioner because the Ford part numbers are not painted over.

So right now we have solid proof that Ford delivered cars with both natural finish and black painted calipers. I believe I've mentioned in an earlier thread that I suspected supplier issues for this. It is not uncommon for a car manufacturer to have different suppliers for the same part or for a single parts supplier to have different manufacturing plants for the same part.

Another scenario that has to be factored in is Hertz repairs. I spoke with Hertz several years back and was told that one of the largest repair items on the GTH cars were the brakes. This makes sense to me when you consider all the power braking, high speed runs and perhaps a little track time these cars experienced from folks who drove them like a rental. So who's to say that a car had natural finished calipers on it originally but the service replacement calipers came out of the box with a black finish especially if they were rebuilt calipers.

Now lets go back to the Colorado cars that you say were rattle can painted black. I highly doubt someone at a Colorado Hertz location was just walking thru the parking lot one day and said hey those silver looking calipers would look so much better if they were painted black so hey you, yes you lot boy, go take these six cars out of service, go to Home Depot and purchase some spray paint and spend a day or two painting those brake calipers as we'll be able to up the daily rental rate by doing this.

Now I'm not saying that these Colorado cars you saw didn't have a rattle can paint job on the calipers but wouldn't it make more sense that this would have been done as a reconditioning procedure for an upcoming auction/sale? And if so would we consider this change to be "correct" for the cars?

Wouldn't that be like judging a GTH at a car show and deducting points because it didn't have a no smoking emblem on the dash. Just because someone at a Hertz location decided to put that no smoking emblem on the dash doesn't mean that its correct and should be on all 500 cars.

Lets keep this discussion going as perhaps someday we may see Jeff as an official concours judge for the GTH cars so solving the brake caliper mystery can only assist him with a car show evaluation.

Jeff,

The most difficult problem we are encountering with this subject is who knows what happened to the cars once they entered rental duty. We have SAI records and employee recollections that SAI did not paint the calipers black and we have seen many low mile, unrented cars go thru the various auction houses with unpainted calipers.

Now on the other hand I've now posted pics of a black caliper that could not have been painted by SAI, Hertz or a re-conditioner because the Ford part numbers are not painted over.

So right now we have solid proof that Ford delivered cars with both natural finish and black painted calipers. I believe I've mentioned in an earlier thread that I suspected supplier issues for this. It is not uncommon for a car manufacturer to have different suppliers for the same part or for a single parts supplier to have different manufacturing plants for the same part.

Another scenario that has to be factored in is Hertz repairs. I spoke with Hertz several years back and was told that one of the largest repair items on the GTH cars were the brakes. This makes sense to me when you consider all the power braking, high speed runs and perhaps a little track time these cars experienced from folks who drove them like a rental. So who's to say that a car had natural finished calipers on it originally but the service replacement calipers came out of the box with a black finish especially if they were rebuilt calipers.

Now lets go back to the Colorado cars that you say were rattle can painted black. I highly doubt someone at a Colorado Hertz location was just walking thru the parking lot one day and said hey those silver looking calipers would look so much better if they were painted black so hey you, yes you lot boy, go take these six cars out of service, go to Home Depot and purchase some spray paint and spend a day or two painting those brake calipers as we'll be able to up the daily rental rate by doing this.

Now I'm not saying that these Colorado cars you saw didn't have a rattle can paint job on the calipers but wouldn't it make more sense that this would have been done as a reconditioning procedure for an upcoming auction/sale? And if so would we consider this change to be "correct" for the cars?

Wouldn't that be like judging a GTH at a car show and deducting points because it didn't have a no smoking emblem on the dash. Just because someone at a Hertz location decided to put that no smoking emblem on the dash doesn't mean that its correct and should be on all 500 cars.

Lets keep this discussion going as perhaps someday we may see Jeff as an official concours judge for the GTH cars so solving the brake caliper mystery can only assist him with a car show evaluation.

I'm just happy my calipers are red and say Shelby on them. This "Who Painted The Caliper"? drama is killing me ! Edited by cmcmotorworks

I agree with all of your points, but none of them explain my experience then in 2006 where I was the very first renter of car #100 that still had a temp tag on the window where there was overspray on the rotors from when the calipers were painted. The overspray on the rotors even matched the exact placement of the caliper. I don't think that Hertz had a lot boy that went around and just sprayed the calipers. However as was mentioned in a couple different magazines and in e-mails, Hertz wanted the brake calipers black. When SAI was not able to accommodate, maybe Hertz did this on their own? Each car spent time in a Hertz garage getting the Sirius unit installed correct? How many hours did that take per car? I have original directions on that process from Hertz, and it certainly did take time to do. During that time perhaps there was a directive to have a person remove the wheels and do this? Just adding another possibility as I don't know. How is it explained that such a large percentage of GTH's have very similar results? For example, if you look at the three other GTH's on Ebay right now, they all appear to have black painted calipers. But no other 2006 Mustang on ebay has a similar issue where you can see the brakes. All bare metal casting. There's an explanation for this somewhere. If this truly happened. There is an e-mail somewhere that directed this... we may never know..... but I hope so.

Jeff, my guess is that when this is all boiled down the conclusion will be either way is correct. Even if we turn up an email or request stating the calipers were to be painted by so and so its clear that any possible procedure/request was not carried out on all the cars.

Unfortunately all the Hertz people involved in the GTH program are no longer with Hertz and the couple of people here at SAI who were around during the GTH build do not have a recollection on why the calipers were not painted by SAI.

Also when I get a chance I'm going to try and move these brake caliper posts into a new thread as this GTH for sale thread kinda got hijacked.

Steve

Good discussion, but I agree these brake caliper painting posts should be in a separate thread. Talk about a hijack!

Come on now, highjack not intentional. I actually posted a car for sale (see post 144) and noticed the brake caliper color so I mentioned it. It just sparked some discussion that the GT-H site has not had for a while. That said, Steve T. will be moving this portion of the discussion. Getting back on topic :)

Edited by H0050

Come on now, highjack not intentional. I actually posted a car for sale (see post 144) and noticed the brake caliper color so I mentioned it. It just sparked some discussion that the GT-H site has not had for a while. That said, Steve T. will be moving this portion of the discussion. Getting back on topic :)

Just to be clear when I used the word "hijack" I meant it in a humorous way and was not saying anyone did anything wrong.

Steve

Just to be clear when I used the word "hijack" I meant it in a humorous way and was not saying anyone did anything wrong.

Steve

:hysterical: Don't worry, the H crowd doesn't take that stuff to seriously! Thanks for keeping us honest!

We just want the truth! I know, I know, we can't handle the truth! :finger:

Edited by JeffJ

This is a picture I took on Sep 8, 2007 in Boston. It's of 06H0059 which I rented for a week out of Boston's logan airport.

They do not appear to be painted black but look to be the standard grey color all Mustangs had.

That's actually a great picture. They don't get much blacker than that. You can see the silver finish under where the brake pad clips have scratched the surface. You can see the silver finish under scratches on the top edges of the caliper bracket. Looks like that was really low mileage when you had it. Do you remember how many miles it had at the time? This is what just about every other Mustang I have seen from the factory looks like:

55954d1206857416-cleaning-calipers-3133.

2006%20Mustang%20wheel_zpstawrlzsa.jpg

Edited by JeffJ

• 4 months later...

Newly listed 07h210.......wow.......asking price misprint?? Or is there something special about this car....extreme low miles?? documented unique history?? celebrity owned??

I'm not aware of anything unusual in this car's historical time line. It was originally rented out of Warwick, RI., and later reassigned to one of the Florida locations. As for mileage, this car was advertised on line about a year ago with 33,000+ miles.

Jeff.........here's the link from the #1 post in this thread

http://cars.trovit.com/index.php/cod.frame/id.1u21pbf1n3S/origin.51/section.21/section_type.1/url.http%253A%252F%252Fwww.cacars.com%252FCar%252F1012636.htm%253Ftrv_cid%253D2830571154a5d6d06c373bb903fdd51e7b363d3d/tracking.HczBCoQgFEbhV4l_bXB1FMGXiWtaSGKRlzbRuzczq7P5ODd6bqm0dSoJAY5MzNy6cN3GuI9knNfafZZM2sYEBa75lD-23pN11ij0o5Z94lnKlRFIQU6et99UeEW4sSBoheEw3z7PCw/pop.0/ajax.0/

Edited by HERTZ II

• HERTZ II changed the title to '06, '07 & '16 GT-Hs Currently For Sale On Various Websites (Updated: 9/6/20)
  • HERTZ II changed the title to '06, '07, '16 & '22 GT-Hs Currently For Sale On Various Websites............(Updated: 4/23/24)
  • JeffIsHereToo pinned this topic