TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What would you add for the most bang for the buck?

Looking to purchase the next mod for the best bang for the buck!

1. FRPP Throttle Body

2. FRPP Intake manifold

3. 3:73 FRPP Gears

4. Shorty Headers (name the brand)

5.SCT Tuner with Bama Tune installed (91 Octane in my area)

6. Aluminum Drive shaft

7.BBK Throttle Body

8. FRPP Hot Rod Cams

9. Steeda Charge Motion Plates

Keep in mind that we are talking about an 07 SGT stock in exception for Steeda Underdrive pulleys, Steeda Carbon Fiber Elbow and FRPP KR mufflers.

Which one of the items above would you choose and why?

Thanks for any feed back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good list!

But have you ever been to a high performance driving school? That would be #1 on my list and was the best thing I ever did. No matter how good you think you are in a world where the difference between two cars 100HP apart is a second and a half 0-60, the driver is the biggest limitation to performance.

When a professional driver took me and my SGT on the track I about $#@! my pants...I knew then all the mods I had on my list were nothing more than my own attempt to make up for my deficiencies not the car's. I also drive a heck of a lot safer now!

I'll let others comment on the prioritization but I wanted to throw that out for anyone else reading.

If your budget will only allow for one, I would go for either the gears or the tune, I vote for both

Imo the cams, throttle body and intake should be installed at the same time,

the down side is it's a major hit on the budget.

JMO ;

1) 3.73:1 gears

2) Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel ( keep existing clutch )

3) Aluminum driveshaft ( you will have to buy an adjustable UCA to correct the angles )

They should have put the 3.73:1 in the SGT like they did in the Bullitt and then by reducing the rotating mass of the drive train you gain benefits on BOTH acceleration and deceleration ( it's like getting headers AND big brakes at the same time ) and reduces the loads at the motor.

Looking to purchase the next mod for the best bang for the buck!

1. FRPP Throttle Body

2. FRPP Intake manifold

3. 3:73 FRPP Gears

4. Shorty Headers (name the brand)

5.SCT Tuner with Bama Tune installed (91 Octane in my area)

6. Aluminum Drive shaft

7.BBK Throttle Body

8. FRPP Hot Rod Cams

9. Steeda Charge Motion Plates

Keep in mind that we are talking about an 07 SGT stock in exception for Steeda Underdrive pulleys, Steeda Carbon Fiber Elbow and FRPP KR mufflers.

Which one of the items above would you choose and why?

Thanks for any feed back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

410 gears for sure. I've got a 2007 sgt which is now an sgt/sc but i installed the 410's and they alone did more for the car than the shorty headers,tune and aluminum d.s. together. T he d.s. is something you won't feel and is pretty pricy. the tune was a good mod and i could feel the difference with it. I used breenspeed for my tune. The shorty headers are kind of pricy also and i really couldn't feel a difference with that either. All these mods were done before i super charged the car. Gears and tune are most bang for the buck and will make a significant difference in the feel of your car. Good-Luck.

Thanks for all the great input so far.

I am leaning towards the 3:73 Gears and a tune but have not made up my mind yet.

Also considering 4:10s,s and a tune still wishy washy over the 4:10's.

Huge +1 to the 4:10 gears. Made a huge difference in mine. I do agree our cars should have come with 3:73 gears originally, but to go from 3:55's to 3:73's is just not enough of a performance jump unless you are maybe wanting to supercharge it. 4:10's with our overdrives are fine on the highway and terrific around town. Best bang for the buck short of a supercharger.

I tried FRPP shorty headers, looked good, IMO sounded great with KR mufflers and the FRPP x pipe but they made zero H.P. on a dyno.

Went from 3.55's to 3.73's then to 4.10's , should have gone to 4.10's in the first place. They make the feel lighter, more responsive, I also have Hot Rod cams and IMO the car just feels much better with 4.10's and cams then it did with cams and 3.73's. Highway R.P.M is higher though and again IMO the car is louder on the freeway, I am sure due to the higher R .P.M . A plus on the freeway is the car is noticeably more responsive in 5th gear with 4.10's.

My vote would be 4.10's

4:10s and a tune should be at the top of your list. I've done quite a few things on your list, and there still isn't enough power for me (you can't feel it with the 3:55s). Get your gear and then save up and do the intake/cams/TB/headers all at one time. You'd honestly just be throwing away money on labor (if you didn't do the installs yourself) if you did those piece by piece.

My SGT is still stock. However, I would not want 4.10's. 4.10's are primarily for drag racing and when on the expressway I do not want the higher rpms of 4.10's. Not to mention the additional wear and loss of fuel economy. Great for the strip.

My SGT is still stock. However, I would not want 4.10's. 4.10's are primarily for drag racing and when on the expressway I do not want the higher rpms of 4.10's. Not to mention the additional wear and loss of fuel economy. Great for the strip.

That sums up how I feel about 4:10s as well. I actually like the lower RPM "burble" of the exhaust as I cruise. Also, the 3:55's were great for a (road course) track day I did. If I were to mod it would be the 3:73s for me...happy medium I think.

I have to disagree, I felt that the 3:55's were lazy at the road course and the 4:10's just hit the sweet spot. I feel that I couldn't get a better gear at Hallett than the 4:10's. As far as fuel economy I really think it was about a wash. I think highway economy might have taken a little hit but in town fuel economy improved.

That sums up how I feel about 4:10s as well. I actually like the lower RPM "burble" of the exhaust as I cruise. Also, the 3:55's were great for a (road course) track day I did. If I were to mod it would be the 3:73s for me...happy medium I think.

If our shelby's came with 373's then i might have stayed with them but 373's are just to close to the 355's to get enough bang for your buck. It would be great if you could drive both the 373's and 410's so as to get a seat of the pants feel as to what you like the best. You don't stay long in 1st gear with 410's but you have a much better 5th gear that feels almost as good as 4th gear with 355's. You want find to many guys on this forum who would change there 410's back to 355's or 373's. No better improvement for your money -hands down.

Most say the same thing about "bang for your buck", but that's a subjective term. What really matters is what each individual may want to achieve in the end result.

If our shelby's came with 373's then i might have stayed with them but 373's are just to close to the 355's to get enough bang for your buck. It would be great if you could drive both the 373's and 410's so as to get a seat of the pants feel as to what you like the best. You don't stay long in 1st gear with 410's but you have a much better 5th gear that feels almost as good as 4th gear with 355's. You want find to many guys on this forum who would change there 410's back to 355's or 373's. No better improvement for your money -hands down.

I agree, I was on the fence about which gear to go with before I did mine. I have no regrets what so ever. I had all the concerns that others had posted above about the 4.10's but I am 100% glad I went with them. The increase in rpm is like 200 if that, gas milage only changes because your laying into the gas more cause it's so fun to drive. 4.10's are the way to go in my opinion as well, and like Shelbytexan said for the money you won't find a bigger change in the way your car feels.

I agree, I was on the fence about which gear to go with before I did mine. I have no regrets what so ever. I had all the concerns that others had posted above about the 4.10's but I am 100% glad I went with them. The increase in rpm is like 200 if that, gas milage only changes because your laying into the gas more cause it's so fun to drive. 4.10's are the way to go in my opinion as well, and like Shelbytexan said for the money you won't find a bigger change in the way your car feels.

Now if you can just get that car whippled your be in good shape lol.

PROFILE PIC.jpg

410 gears for sure. I've got a 2007 sgt which is now an sgt/sc but i installed the 410's and they alone did more for the car than the shorty headers,tune and aluminum d.s. together. T he d.s. is something you won't feel and is pretty pricy. the tune was a good mod and i could feel the difference with it. I used breenspeed for my tune. The shorty headers are kind of pricy also and i really couldn't feel a difference with that either. All these mods were done before i super charged the car. Gears and tune are most bang for the buck and will make a significant difference in the feel of your car. Good-Luck.

Just curious, did you notice any difference in the sound with the shorty headers? And which brand/type of shortys?

I noticed a little deeper sound with the shorty's, but when i installed the KR mufflers it became much more noticeable. I used the JBA ceramic coated headers as i new i would want to s/c some day which i did and it would stay a little cooler under the hood with ceramic headers.Again,the shorty's didn't give me a seat of the pants feel but i probably got 5 or 6 h.p. out of it and maybe 5 or 6 h.p. out of the aluminum d.s. because my car dynoed at 502 rwhp which would put me at about 590 engine h.p. I've about hit my limit with h.p. Anymore and i'll be looking at a rebuild. I've never been on the track and don't intend to, just cruise around and atttend a few car shows and cruise-ins.Good -Luck with your mods.

Archived