TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another Glass Roof

sheppd01

I came across this tonight and a first I thought I was a scam. The listing said 08 KR with glass roof. There were of course no pictures so I sent an email and asked for some. I was expecting to receive pictures of Ron Pratts black KR.

Then when the pictures arrived I thought it was a regular GT500 dressed up to look like a KR. I check the VIN and it came back to a real KR.

After several emails I am starting to believe this guy. He said it's never been wrecked and after he bought it he had the glass roof put in.

All the stuff that makes a KR a KR is there. Looks like the real deal to me.

DSC_0630small.jpgDSC_0618small.jpgDSC_0619small.jpg

DSC_0630small.jpg

DSC_0618small.jpg

DSC_0619small.jpg

The key is that the owner installed the glass roof. It did not come from Ford that way. There is only one true glass roof KR. So just and owner modified car. How will this effect the value in the future? None of us know. I will take a stab and say that it will not effect the value in the next 20 years. Maybe even add to the value as many people like the glass roof and may choose this car over another because it has it. At some point far in the future, it will probably switch. At some point it will have no effect and eventually, it will probably have a negative effect when somebody is looking for an original car. Again, none of us will probably be alive at that point. So if you want it now. Get it and enjoy it!! Now we know there were actually two glass roof KR's. I took pictures of it. However the unknown is if this car was ever destroyed by Ford like it was supposed to have been since it was a manufacturer mule. I'm guessing however that this car still exists in a Ford warehouse somewhere. Who knows?

its a glass roof by Classic Design Concepts. Not quite like a factory glass roof. I had the same thing put on my 2010 since glass roofs weren't an option that year. Cars that have a factory glass roof have a metal roof edge that is sunk in so the glass will sit in there flush with the rest of the top. When getting the CDC roof they cut out a large portion of the metal roof and the glass sits on top of the remaining edges. There are black plastic moldings that go all around the glass and all the way down the front and back pillars to the trunk and hood. They make it look like the glass is flush. The rear molding also has a built in brake light. The factory one has a shade built into the headliner that can be pulled shut. They're very nice if installed correctly but the main thing now is that CDC has discontinued this roof so if something were to happen like a crack in the glass I'm not sure how to get it fixed. For this reason I spent some time searching and it looks like all the parts for a factory glass roof can be bought to install on a car that didn't come with it from factory.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0810_ford_mustang_glass_roof_panel/

The key is that the owner installed the glass roof. It did not come from Ford that way. There is only one true glass roof KR. So just and owner modified car. How will this effect the value in the future? None of us know. I will take a stab and say that it will not effect the value in the next 20 years. Maybe even add to the value as many people like the glass roof and may choose this car over another because it has it. At some point far in the future, it will probably switch. At some point it will have no effect and eventually, it will probably have a negative effect when somebody is looking for an original car. Again, none of us will probably be alive at that point. So if you want it now. Get it and enjoy it!! Now we know there were actually two glass roof KR's. I took pictures of it. However the unknown is if this car was ever destroyed by Ford like it was supposed to have been since it was a manufacturer mule. I'm guessing however that this car still exists in a Ford warehouse somewhere. Who knows?

I have to agree with Jeff. It will have little impact on resale currently or near future, but when someone is looking for the factory GT500KR, the roof will take away from the bidding or sale price.

I think it looks cool, but I wouldn't do it to mine.

Just for future reference, here are the pics I took of the Factory Glass Roof manufacturer GT500KR in June 2008 at the Mid Ohio race track. I think that Jamie Allison drove it down that weekend from MI. At the time Amy told me that this car was to be crushed by then. So who knows if that ever happend or not. Sure wish I would have taken a pic of the VIN area now looking back.

GT500KR8_zps6f80a3b3.jpg

GT500KR3_zps65429e54.jpg

GT500KR7_zpsbc2941c7.jpg

GT500KR6_zps7bdae301.jpg

GT500KR5_zps688cbcd3.jpg

GT500KR4_zps4c087b57.jpg

GT500KR2_zpsbe1e9634.jpg

...I spent some time searching and it looks like all the parts for a factory glass roof can be bought to install on a car that didn't come with it from factory.

But you wouldn't have the formed edges for the drip rail that the factory steel panels had, so how would you retrofit that?

The recessed edge of the sheet metal under the side edges of the glass top. That's the reason the CDC glass sits on top of the sheet metal. The factory glass sits flush because there is a recessed channel formed into the stamped sheet metal panels at the factory. To retrofit a factory glass top would be possible, but extensive work.

If I am wrong about the stamped panels being different from the factory, someone let me know.

Out of curiosity, anyone know how much the CDC glass top installed cost?

The recessed edge of the sheet metal under the side edges of the glass top. That's the reason the CDC glass sits on top of the sheet metal. The factory glass sits flush because there is a recessed channel formed into the stamped sheet metal panels at the factory. To retrofit a factory glass top would be possible, but extensive work.

If I am wrong about the stamped panels being different from the factory, someone let me know.

Out of curiosity, anyone know how much the CDC glass top installed cost?

You can buy the factory glass roof metal sheet/frame that goes under the glass. The body shop guy made it sound like its not that big of a job to do it. Said he's replaced roofs before that were damaged with hail. I think when I was pricing it all out it was around 2k for all the parts. I think I paid about $2400 for my CDC roof parts/labor. Some places I called wanted as much as $4k. They've been discontinued from CDC for awhile now so I'd think it would be hard to find any shops that still have some laying around

If I had a black KR and could get it done with factory Ford parts I'd do it. Carroll's looked great with the stripes done with tint too!

It was my understanding that this was Carroll's birthday KR.

cov-08shel1.jpgDSC05595.jpg

Also my understanding that Ron Pratte bought the glass-roof KR. The car that was at the auction was destined to be crushed because it was technically a ford test vehicle. A second glass-roof KR that could be titled was made and delilved to Mr. Pratte. So if this is true and they did crush the KR did it have a CSM#, and if they made a new one does it have the CSM# 08KRXXXX as I have heard? Someone from Shelby must know......

I really think someone saved this car from the crusher.

cov-08gt500krg1.jpgcov-08gt500krg2m.jpg

cov-08shel1.jpg

DSC05595.jpg

cov-08gt500krg1.jpg

cov-08gt500krg2m.jpg

You can buy the factory glass roof metal sheet/frame that goes under the glass. The body shop guy made it sound like its not that big of a job to do it. Said he's replaced roofs before that were damaged with hail. I think when I was pricing it all out it was around 2k for all the parts. I think I paid about $2400 for my CDC roof parts/labor. Some places I called wanted as much as $4k. They've been discontinued from CDC for awhile now so I'd think it would be hard to find any shops that still have some laying around

Oh wow, cool. That would be a serious consideration for mine then. I think the glass roof is sick. There's only 2 things I would ever consider doing to my KR, and the glass roof is one of them. But I would want a factory style that sits flush.

Are there any pics from the inside looking through the tinted stripes on the black car?

That's a mod you can't reverse by unbolting it. Unless it came like that from Ford or SAI no way would I do it or want it done to a special limited prduction Shelby. I do think the KRs stock will rise in the future if our country can rebound from it's current woes along with some other select limited production vehicles. However collectors want factory stock vehicles or those that can easily be returned to factory spec and it helps when you have all the original parts.

Of course if you like a non movable glass roof that much and don't care about the originality of your KR that much cut away. I think you would be making a huge mistake. IMHO.

I am not interested in "future collectors", stocks will rise", etc., etc., etc.

I generally agree with the notion of keeping a vehicle stock, especially with an exceptional vehicle such as the KR. However, the factory glass top does look awesome (and with the stripes), and IT IS a "factory" item in the sense that the design and all parts come from the factory. Therefore, if installed to perfection like a production car, I think the uniqueness could make a stand-out KR that could increase the value (for those who care about value). This is especially true with a silver KR, since that will always be the easiest color to find anyways. Mine is vista blue, so I'll never need anything to make it stand out in that sense.

It would be a tough decision to do it though, and would come only after a lengthy process of weighing pro's and con's. I am not saying I am going to do it to mine. I'm saying it's one of two mods I would consider.

FWIW, IMHO, the rarest and most valuable Riva Aquarama is hull #125, which was ordered from Riva without engines so a more powerful non-factory setup could be installed. With only 768 Aquarama's built in their 34 year run, every single one is a rare boat. But #125 is a stand-out. There is a huge difference between a well-engineered mod and doing something like painting the mirrors and rockers.

Zactly my point. The boat you mentioned came from the factory sans engine so any install did not modify it by removing a #s matching engine.

Plus engines can be removed and re- installed.

You can't uncut a top.

While I'm not hung up on the potential "collectibility" I personally would not do anything as drastic as cut open my KRs roof for a non factory mod and torpedo any potential for for it's collectibility. If it didn't come out of SAI with a glass roof I wouldn't put one in.

That's me and my considered opinion. Others are free do do as they wish with their KRs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived