TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT or Boss 302 LS???

sgt1020

Think about the increase in technology between the two!

Automotive technology is increasing by nearly TEN FOLD, PER YEAR so a car that is 5-10 years newer has a HUGE technological advantage over the other.

In this case, two completely different engines (the 5.0 with TiVCT in itself is a HUGE tech advance), transmissions, suspensions (w/adjustable shocks/struts), electronics, brakes, etc. etc. etc.

I don't know much about the SGT but just the difference in age alone should be a big plus for the Boss.

Phill

No question, Phil. As my own car is a 2003 Mach 1, I am well aware of the huge leap from the SN-95 platform to the SN-197. So, going simply from the Mach to a 5 year newer Shhelby is a big leap, so is going to the (again) 5 year newer Boss LS. But, that is the question posed by the thread starter here, and as much as I would like to see a Snake car with my name on the title, it would be hard not to go with the Boss based simply on the driving experience I've had.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah.jpg

I now have #s on the Boss with S rims and rubber but basiclly stock. I have the limited CS69SEs on the SGT and a bunch of decals but basiclly stock. The Boss is a better track car and the SGT has a pedagree. I vowed as a kid to own a Boss and a Shelby as my dream cars and have had to tighten up to make it happen.

I beat the tar out of the SGT for 4 years and it took everything I threw its way and it made me a better mustang driver. It has the scars to prove it and lots of car show trophies. A bunch of conversation and history with my family, especially my daughter Edyth who put the first scratch on it (driving at 4 yrs old). The Boss is a daily that sits out side because I know about the stripe issue with SGTs (thank you TS forums). I love to take one out and then the other. It's like having two of the hottest girl friends on the planet and them being ok with the arrangement.

If there is a connection to the SGT follow what J Leno says and don't sell anything. Find a way to get the second or wait till you can.

What ever man can concieve and believe....he can achieve. Get a pic and put it on the frig and it will happen. The stars will move for you. Just my take.

Mike

yeah.jpg

I am old and retired so I have been one of the fortunate ones to purchase both cars. I ordered and waited for long five months for the SGT in 2007. I wanted a Shelby Mustang since high school and was on my “bucket list.” It now has a Whipple 550 and is scary fast for a grandpa. If you are a car guy and especially a Ford guy, then the Shelby pedigree is a coveted thing. I also believe it is the best looking Mustang ever built. I will never, ever part with it until they pry my dead, cold hands off the wheel. That said – my 2012 Boss 302, which I also waited five long months for, is a very different car in a number of important respects. The SGT finds herself resting in the shop a lot more since the Boss joined the family. The Boss 302 is a very special Mustang and I love driving the thing. Even so would I have sold the SGT or traded it in for the Boss 302 – nope.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I have both and there two different animals. My SGT is a 2007 White with sliver stripes bought new with 1000 miles on it I live in New Jersey were you can pull up to a stop light and be next to Almost any type of high end sports car you could imagine LOL! I love the SGT it's my favorite mustang I have owned,only thing I have done to it is put a Roush rear spoiler on it and had it striped.

My new purchase is a 2013 Boss 302 LS School Bus Yellow. I only have 51 miles on it and can only say its fast but the cornering is crazy good!

I also own a 1950 Desoto custom with 6,200 miles on it 4 door man it has such a smooth ride floats down the road like a Boat! LOL.

Bought the car because my Dad use to put me on his lap as a kid and let me drive!

I buy the cars to collect and show! Was going to start buying old cars but my Wife prefers me to buy new my next buy will be a GT 350 then a 1965 Mustang!

Well I have both and there two different animals. My SGT is a 2007 White with sliver stripes bought new. now has 1000 miles on it I live in New Jersey were you can pull up to a stop light and be next to Almost any type of high end sports car you could imagine LOL! I love the SGT it's my favorite mustang I have owned,only thing I have done to it is put a Roush rear spoiler on it and had it striped.

My new purchase is a 2013 Boss 302 LS School Bus Yellow. I only have 51 miles on it and can only say its fast but the cornering is crazy good!

I also own a 1950 Desoto custom with 6,200 miles on it 4 door man it has such a smooth ride floats down the road like a Boat! LOL.

Bought the car because my Dad use to put me on his lap as a kid and let me drive!

I buy the cars to collect and show! Was going to start buying old cars but my Wife prefers me to buy new my next buy will be a GT 350 then a 1965 Mustang!

Can you build an apartment over that garage for me to stay in?? I'll gladly assist with some of those miles on the cars!! LOL!!

You are a lucky man....enjoy them to the fullest in whatever way your heart desires!

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Reviving and old thread.

With all the attention going to the GT350, I've found myself doing the math on if I could pull the trigger for one. Problem is it would require me giving up the SGT.

Searching local listings for the GT350 I stumbled across a 2013 SBY LS for less than $35k with less 17k mile on the clock. It now has me looking for BOSS, and keeping the SGT. The timing may be right.

Reviving and old thread.

With all the attention going to the GT350, I've found myself doing the math on if I could pull the trigger for one. Problem is it would require me giving up the SGT.

Searching local listings for the GT350 I stumbled across a 2013 SBY LS for less than $35k with less 17k mile on the clock. It now has me looking for BOSS, and keeping the SGT. The timing may be righ

I think having an SGT and a Boss would be ideal!

I have just started enjoying some track time with my car lately and would like to continue doing so. I have also been considering a pre owned GT350 but I would have to swap out of my SGT/SC. The Boss LS would also be a nice choice. I always loved the Boss! With all the new technology in cars now, I would assume the 350 is a better track car than the Boss. Any thoughts?

Nick

I think if the S195 resonates with you, as it does me, the Boss 302 is hands down the best example of that platform bar none. The SGT is the best looking stock S195 Mustang ever sold, IMHO! The current GT350 has just never captured my imagination the way the SGT did from day one nor the excitement to see the "Boss" plate once again on a Mustang. I love both cars for different reasons...perhaps if I had a GT350 I'd feel different but for me the Boss was a natural step up from the SGT and just felt like home. I don't get that when I sit or drive the newer cars. Maybe I'm just old!

Jeff, I'm pretty sure it's the "S197" chassis.

And that's the thing I'd point out here is that the SGT and BOSS are both made from the same S197 chassis. The one main difference between both of those cars is the almighty Road Runner engine in the BOSS. Of course there are some brake and suspension differences too, but these can more easily upgraded to bring the SGT on par with the BOSS in those regards. To me, there's not enough difference between the SGT and the BOSS to justify having both.

The new S550 chassis effortlessly blows both cars away. I was absolutely in love with my BOSS 302 LS track toy until I bought a 2015 Mustang GT with the performance package. It was a much better car altogether. It didn't have the engine, the Recaros or the looks of the BOSS, but it was more confidence inspiring, more sorted out and as much fun to drive.

Everything that's been written about the the new GT350 falls short of reality and doesn't do the car complete justice. It is that good! And the GT350R is even better. After a thorough wringing out two weeks ago at VIR, I don't have a single idea about anything to upgrade on this car. It's perfect right out of the box.

There are days that I miss my SGT; it was a great cruiser. And though it hasn't even been a year yet, I haven't missed my BOSS at all - not with the GT350R in the garage.

Keep the SGT and get the GT350 (or what's next) if you can. My $0.02 anyway.

Incredible video, the Boss is still an awesome car. The original Boss is an all time favorite of mine and it was the next best thing to a 1966 GT350 in my opinion. The Boss was so strong with the 302 that not many small block contenders could beat it. The new Boss is just like that, and extremely well made muscle car that makes a pitch to buy one and trade the SGT. But my money says no, I would not trade a SGT for a Boss they are to similar but I may very well trade it for a GT350 :) But I'm still in love with my 2007 GT/SC Paxton. I think this Paxton car is so well balanced that is why CS wanted them all to be Paxton cars, IMHO. My Whipple GT/SC was a meglamaniac and I could not for the life of me put all the power to the road, the Paxton car shoots me straight as a string out of the whole and into high speed without sliding all over. However that being said I don't think either one of these cars stands up to the new GT350. That car s in a league of its own, but one thing it doesn't have is the true Shelby magic and the Paxton S/C.

LOL....why I kept typing 195 who knows...anyway...I agree with the majority of your points. I still believe what I wrote some time ago...the GT350 was the first performance version of the new Mustang but the this new engine and platform overall has so much more runway.

I see today's GT350 as I do yesterday's 2007 GT500. People paying crazy money, for what was a great car at the time, but was it was soon eclipsed by a rapid succession of improvements. Today there is just no comparison between a 2007 and 2014 GT500 either in looks or mechanics. We came a long way in 7 model years. I'm confident there is still MUCH more to come so as much as the new car's looks are grown on me I'm chasing to wait until then or the prices of the GT350 are more in my range.

That said, I truly believe the Boss is the best S197 car ever built BY FORD. There's a level of fit and finish, the confidence of a 444hp NA engine that's strong enough to carry a complete warranty and extended service plan I really appreciate. The sound of that quad exhaust and the 60's loopy idle at the stoplight as your car shakes like the 1960's. For me all this comes down to the care and careful coordination of every aspect of these cars as seen in the documentary "Faster Horse" I appreciate that effort and I'm REALLY looking forward to the 2018-2019 model years. :-)

P.S. The opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone and no one else should give a $#@! what I think! :-)

I think I can give you a perspective that some on here cannot as I own quite a few late model Shelby's and by far my favorite is still my 2008 Shelby GT/SC! Its also the only one I will never sell!! My 08 GT/SC is still the best handling one I own and is that due to the Griggs suspension umm yep but its lighter than the others as well and the best weight ratio front to back.

Based on what you did to your Shelby GT it will out handle the Boss in every way street or track. The Shelby GT is still the best looking car too and sorry but the LS Bosses are quite ugly looking.

I can give you another option to get far better performance than the Boss 302 LS will ever give you, instead of spending more money on the Boss maybe consider an engine swap in your Shelby??? The 4.6 is limited even with a Supercharger so why not swap in a 5.0 Coyote?

The 5.0 is a great consideration but probably not right now! The car has plenty of power for me at this time. Without spending too much money, I am trying to improve handling by reducing weight, especially in the front. The car currently weighs in at 3,560 lbs with just over a half tank.

The 4.6 is limited even with a Supercharger so why not swap in a 5.0 Coyote?

Ok let's be fair now, if you're swapping in another 4.6, there is no limitation compared to the 5.0. In fact, the 3V 4.6 can product more maximum HP than the 5.0. I know it's hard to believe, but it is true. It is easier to make HP with the 5.0 though.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived