TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT or Boss 302 LS???

sgt1020

I'm VERY attached to my SGT and have put a lot of work and love into it.

My father has been asking me if I'd trade it in for the 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca.

What would you do? At the end of the day, your talking about a limited production "Shelby" Mustang vs a limited production "Ford" Mustang.

Just interested to hear some opinions.

-Brandon

That is a tough one. A year ago the wife gave the the green light to press the trigger on a Boss. In the end I couldn't do it. I'd never be able to replace the Shelby. Theres just something about owing a Shelby that can't be replaced. IMHO.

"There's just something about owing a Real Shelby that can't be replaced."

Absolutely.

I know you are from Jersey. I met you at The Glen.

You want a mod that will never cease to please?

Send it to TASCA for the SC upgrade.

You will then have a lifetime lollipop.

A good driver in an SGT/SC will wipe a Boss 302 on the track.

I guarantee.

Depends on what you want to do with it. The Shelby GT will always be a Shelby, and at the time, it was wuppin' ass on the track. But things get better. If you want the best track car on the planet from the factory, your best choice right now is the Boss. Of course, if you want a dedicated track car (not street) get the Cobra Jet.

Depends on what you want to do with it. The Shelby GT will always be a Shelby, and at the time, it was wuppin' ass on the track. But things get better. If you want the best track car on the planet from the factory, your best choice right now is the Boss. Of course, if you want a dedicated track car (not street) get the Cobra Jet.

The Boss is a track car for the road course, not the drag strip. The Cobra Jet is a dedicated drag racing car. If you wanted a REAL dedicated track car (for open track racing), you would order a Boss 302 S from Ford Racing http://stangnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Brown-Bros-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302S.jpg. The Laguna Seca however, is the closest you can get to a dedicated track car from the factory while still having all the creature comforts of air-conditioning, a stereo, and so on.

My Shelby GT as you can see from my mods in my Signature is highly modified. It's N/A and pulled 378rwhp 335rwtq on a dynojet with 3,000lb rollers, similar to Mustang dyno numbers. I will be installing the Shelby (Fays2) watts link in the next month along with a set of Koni Yellows. Recently I put a set of SVE Drift wheels on my car with Michelin Super Sports (Which are absolutely AMAZING tires, they stick like glue!) With that being said, my SGT would certainly give a LS a run for its money. Sure, my car didn't come this way and the LS comes stock the way it is from the factory but again, the SGT is something the LS will never be, a Shelby.

And again I'm emotionally attached to my SGT which makes things even harder. Would I love to have a LS as an addition to my garage? ABSOLUTELY! But I don't think I want it at the expense of giving up my SGT...

That's a tough call. I thought about a trade for the 2013 Boss a while back when they first came out. In the end, I knew I would not be able to replace my SGT, so it will stay put. One day, I'll pick up a 2013 Boss 302 that is gently used - Race Red preferred!

Keep the SGT....just my $0.02.

Andy.

Buy the LS in a few years when they drop in price and keep the SGT. That is what I am doing. I would love a 2011 GT350 but they will not be coming down anytime soon. Best of both worlds! It is only money.

If my Shelby GT(#547) had been originally delivered from SAI to me with the SC upgrade, then I wouldn't have even considered trading it in on the BOSS... However, for the money and my particular situation, it was a no-brainer to make the trade rather than "upgrade" my 30,000 mile "Shelby"...

My only real mods were Brembos w/SVT Wheels and 4.10 gears with a couple of track tunes from Brenspeed... Everything else was basically "stock"...

And while the SGT carries the Shelby CSM, there is a lot more behind the BOSS 302 than just adding on some off-the-shelf FRPP parts...

Whether either the SGT or the BOSS will be collector's items in the future, is something I don't even worry about... So I plan on enjoying the BOSS as much as I did my SGT...

For me, owning my Shelby is like owning a little piece of history. Our SGT's are very rare, very unique, very special. I know that the Boss is the better performing car, it does almost everything better than our Shelby's except for one thing....the Boss doesn't MOVE me. I look at the Shelby and I smile. Our cars were touched by a legend. Sure, there will always be another car out there that out performs our cars, just as our cars out perform the first generation Shelby Mustangs.

I feel very fortunate to be driving a piece of history and I'll drive it until either I or the car dies.

Just my two cents worth.

I'm going to stay out of this one except to say I've truly enjoyed both of these cars and feel VERY fortunate to have been able to do so.

Its not about what's rare, there are actually fewer Boss 302's, nor is it about value at some point when we're all dead, it's not about HP or speed, because as yoggiebhr said, they'll always be someone faster, it's about which one resonates with you. No one else's opinion matters!

Tough choice....it is because of owning the SGT I've gotten to meet Mr.Shelby and the rest of the gang in Terlingua and gotten many signatures which adds more sentimental value for me. You've added so much to your vehicle(you rarely get your $ out of mods) so if you were to sell your SGT you run the risk of losing $ and get into a new car with added debt, unless you're getting a killer trade in and out the door price on a LS. I have not had the chance to drive a LS yet, I have driven a GT500 and boy those 12's are wicked! My opinion is to keep your SGT add a blower down the line and with your mods you will have a fantastic piece of history.

The B2 LS is an absolute blast to drive on the track!

But if I had to let one of them go, I'd keep my SGT and give up the Boss.

I have both beasts as well. I love my SGT with the Whipple and I love my 13 Boss but in the end if I had to give up one I would give up the Boss.

There is something really cool about owning a Shelby SGT convertible with 550 hp that will tear up most tracks.

If my Shelby GT was stock I would probably have a Boss already, but I have had significant mods done all from Tasca. I love the Boss, think it the best Mustang made today, but I can not part with my Shelby. Not because it is a "Shelby", honestly that does not mean as much to me, but because I think it is the best looking Mustang made the past 40 years and now that mine is a Shelby GT/SC it is one of the best performance ones as well.

You have a lot of Mods, very tough decision.

If my Shelby GT was stock I would probably have a Boss already, but I have had significant mods done all from Tasca. I love the Boss, think it the best Mustang made today, but I can not part with my Shelby. Not because it is a "Shelby", honestly that does not mean as much to me, but because I think it is the best looking Mustang made the past 40 years and now that mine is a Shelby GT/SC it is one of the best performance ones as well.

You have a lot of Mods, very tough decision.

well said Carnut......

The Boss 302 dose not have many creature comforts, just air-conditioning and a cheap stereo. I talked to many owners and that was there #1 complant that there were no options you could order. I was told that it is built off the base Mustang platform. Ford built it to be a track car so keep that in mind if you want one.

The Boss 302 dose not have many creature comforts, just air-conditioning and a cheap stereo. I talked to many owners and that was there #1 complant that there were no options you could order. I was told that it is built off the base Mustang platform. Ford built it to be a track car so keep that in mind if you want one.

I have stayed out of this discussion as I have a great love of the SGT and respect my fellow owners.

The Boss 302 is not a "track car" the Boss 302 is a street car you can take to the track and do quite well while the Boss 302s is the actual track car version.

That said, as an owner of both there is simply NO COMPARISON between the Boss 302 and an SGT. You are not entirely correct in your blanket statements about "creature comforts" between the two either. You may be if you were comparing the options on a 2013 GT or GT500 to a 2013 Boss but you are far off the mark when here we're comparing a 2007/8 SGT to the Boss. Other than the base CD Radio w/sync, the Boss has just as many comforts, if not more, than my SGT which has almost every option available at the time includong navigation. It may also interest you to know that the SGT was also limited in what options you could order and the 2013 Boss actually has more "creature comforts" than the SGT, even with the Boss' limited options, as it comes with quite a few standard.

I want to say that the SGT is a wonderful car and with mods etc., can run right up there with the Boss. The SGT, and I think the KR, are two of the best looking Mustangs ever made. And there's always something about the pride of those letters on the back deck "S H E L B Y" but there is also a great deal of pride on the fender of a BOSS 302.

So pick one or the other, or both! They're both great cars but when making a decision though which to buy it should be on facts and in the end which ever car makes the greater emotional connection with you and to #@%! with what anyone else thinks!

I have stayed out of this discussion as I have a great love of the SGT and respect my fellow owners.

The Boss 302 is not a "track car" the Boss 302 is a street car you can take to the track and do quite well while the Boss 302s is the actual track car version.

That said, as an owner of both there is simply NO COMPARISON between the Boss 302 and an SGT. You are not entirely correct in your blanket statements about "creature comforts" between the two either. You may be if you were comparing the options on a 2013 GT or GT500 to a 2013 Boss but you are far off the mark when here we're comparing a 2007/8 SGT to the Boss. Other than the base CD Radio w/sync, the Boss has just as many comforts, if not more, than my SGT which has almost every option available at the time includong navigation. It may also interest you to know that the SGT was also limited in what options you could order and the 2013 Boss actually has more "creature comforts" than the SGT, even with the Boss' limited options, as it comes with quite a few standard.

I want to say that the SGT is a wonderful car and with mods etc., can run right up there with the Boss. The SGT, and I think the KR, are two of the best looking Mustangs ever made. And there's always something about the pride of those letters on the back deck "S H E L B Y" but there is also a great deal of pride on the fender of a BOSS 302.

So pick one or the other, or both! They're both great cars but when making a decision though which to buy it should be on facts and in the end which ever car makes the greater emotional connection with you and to #@%! with what anyone else thinks!

Agree with you 100%! I just wanted to see what some others thought, but I told my father the same thing, there's something about owning a Shelby that can't be replaced.

With the mods I have done, my car will give a Boss 302 Laguna Seca a real run for its money on the track...

I had the pleasure of drving a GT-C and a 2012 LS this past weekend. As happy as I was behind the wheel of the Shelby, I have to give full marks to the Boss 302. From power to ride quality, the Boss simply showed the time and money that's gone into making a truly drivable, livable performance car. Oddly enough, the Boss feels bigger, even though it's the same basic platform.

The Shelby GT and the GT500 KR were the only two Pre-Title program cars from Shelby American in Las Vegas NV. I've talked to a number of guys including Gary Patterson who all have said, the SGT's and the KR's are VERY special cars.

Also, the more I look at my car, the more I fall in love with it :wub2:

Agree that the SGT is one of the best looking S197 Mustangs built, as I am not a fan of adding

different panels to an already nice clean design. Having said that, the 2013 Boss design has really

got me. Count me in as a buyer on that one down the road. But of course this is all so subjective.

As for non-subjective track/strip #s, it is good to see modded SGTs giving any Mustang a run

for their money.

-Tom

I think someone took my reply that I didnt like the Boss 302 and that the SGT was better, no true, I like both. I was quoting owners of the Boss telling me that there is no radio upgrade, leather, power seats, heated seats available as options. I talked to a Ford Racing rep at a car show and he told me that the Boss was built as a track car for the street, just quoting. If I had the extra money I like a black Boss 302 next to my white SGT in the garage, but if I had to choose I take the SGT because I wanted a piece of history from Shelby. Some people are lucky, they can have both.

That's like choosing what supermodel to date. My vote is for the brunette.

Why not 'date' both?

An expensive proposition, but you'll never have any regrets....

Phill

I had the pleasure of drving a GT-C and a 2012 LS this past weekend. As happy as I was behind the wheel of the Shelby, I have to give full marks to the Boss 302. From power to ride quality, the Boss simply showed the time and money that's gone into making a truly drivable, livable performance car. Oddly enough, the Boss feels bigger, even though it's the same basic platform.

Think about the increase in technology between the two!

Automotive technology is increasing by nearly TEN FOLD, PER YEAR so a car that is 5-10 years newer has a HUGE technological advantage over the other.

In this case, two completely different engines (the 5.0 with TiVCT in itself is a HUGE tech advance), transmissions, suspensions (w/adjustable shocks/struts), electronics, brakes, etc. etc. etc.

I don't know much about the SGT but just the difference in age alone should be a big plus for the Boss.

Phill

I too will not give up my SGT for any other car, but I will aquire a gently (fingers crossed) used BOSS 302 in the not too distant future, economics permitting.

+1...that is my goal too.

Race Red 2013 please!

Andy.

Archived