TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Home Security System

joebob948

Just wondering how many of you have decided to install a home security system ( burglary and fire ) after getting your Shelby. Today, I finally pulled the plug and got a total home security system to protect all my possessions -which of course includes the Shelby! :camera:

Just wondering how many of you have decided to install a home security system ( burglary and fire ) after getting your Shelby. Today, I finally pulled the plug and got a total home security system to protect all my possessions -which of course includes the Shelby! :camera:

Full ADT-monitored system. All doors and windows, glass-breakage, and motion detection everywhere.

Jer

3 Fire Extinguishers, 2 9mm Semi-Auto's and a High Powered Riffle.........................what more do you need?

I had a home invasion about 4 years ago, a guy walked into my wife and my bedroom on the second floor of our home (nice neighborhood etc) at 4:30 am. Kids were in their bedrooms on the same floor. Dog alerted and myself and the dog chased the guy out of the house and down the street. Was about 50 yards outside the house that I realized I didn't have shit in my hands to defend myself if the guy stopped (or I cuaght him). I immediately put the breaks on.

Two points from the story. Never considered getting the gun out, was no time. Alarm is always on, doors are now always locked and we got a second dog. One dog sleeps with each of our kids. If someone wants to break in and take the car, let 'em. It is insured.

Now in NM (where this happened) if I would have had my gun out and shot the guy in the street I'd be facing man 2. So, if you catch someone, bring them back into the house before shooting ....

Conclusion - screw the car, protect the people inside.

I had a home invasion about 4 years ago, a guy walked into my wife and my bedroom on the second floor of our home (nice neighborhood etc) at 4:30 am. Kids were in their bedrooms on the same floor. Dog alerted and myself and the dog chased the guy out of the house and down the street. Was about 50 yards outside the house that I realized I didn't have shit in my hands to defend myself if the guy stopped (or I cuaght him). I immediately put the breaks on.

Two points from the story. Never considered getting the gun out, was no time. Alarm is always on, doors are now always locked and we got a second dog. One dog sleeps with each of our kids. If someone wants to break in and take the car, let 'em. It is insured.

Now in NM (where this happened) if I would have had my gun out and shot the guy in the street I'd be facing man 2. So, if you catch someone, bring them back into the house before shooting ....

I have a Doberman, a Dachshund, a mutt, and a cat who takes no guff. Personally, the mutt and the cat would be the first to stop an intruder.

Jer

Fully monitored alarm with cellular backup on every door, window, glass breakage. That wasn't enough I guess because we had a break in on our basement door so I installed 8 cctv cameras covering every inch of my property along with two 3 megapixel cameras that watch the driveway and front door all record 24/7/365 with a 3 month cycle.

Full ADT-monitored system. All doors and windows, glass-breakage, and motion detection everywhere.

Jer

^^^^^ Add Cameras to and be sure to put a couple of Cameras down low pointing UP. I can't believe how many Detective Shows I have seen where they show the Video from the Security Camera and it is shot from such an Angle that you don't see the Perps Face (they never look up).

I have it all, but one thing I would adivise is not to put any signs up that say you have an alarm system, the reason being that if they cut your outside phone line the alarm will not transmitt to the alarm company,but if they don't know you have an alarm they will not wast time cutting the phone line.

This is something I have thought about... quite a lot. My problem is the way my house is built there are a lot of open areas. That and with the dog (labrador) having free roam of the place I'm afraid of false trips. I have the 45 with hollow points in case they make it to the bedroom, but it would be nice to have the security when I'm not home.

WOW....talk about getting the sh!! scared out of you. Thank goodness you and your family didn't get harmed, but I bet that had to mess with your psyche.

Rocky,most alarm systems are wireless and don't require an actual land line phone!!!!!!!!!!! Mine bounces the signal off a tower.

I have a land line and a wireless system to cover any problem.

I have one like it under the night table, under the kitchen table, and under the coffee table, total possessions security system, home and auto.... :happy feet:

which one dials 911 when you're not home and someone breaks in, or God forbid a fire starts....

We have a pretty basic system. Monitoring, all windows doors glass break sensors etc. We have had a LOT of auto and home burglarys in the last few months. So there are upgrades in the works. I agree with the post above so i won't go into detail but here are a few things if been shown and thought about.

Biggest eye opener for me was when the install tech came by the house. How many people have any protection in the garage or garage door? My tech literally pulled out a coat hanger popped the little latch deal on the door opener and slid the door open. Took all of 10 seconds and he was in the garage.

Now that he's in the garage he has access to my interior door (that WAS NEVER locked) Shelby keys are in a drawer right when you walk in. Was a real eye opener.

Also for an easy fix for an easy heads up. Harbor freight has wireless motion detectors. Pretty easy cheap and have a loud alarm that will wake you up.

Check out a company called x10.com. they have some pretty cool easy install home security systems.

which one dials 911 when you're not home and someone breaks in, or God forbid a fire starts....

Ha! Considering I live in a rural area, where it would take 30 minutes at least to get either, I am SOL with "government" services providing anything in real time. That's why I have my own. Home is sprinklered, automatic heavy locked security gates and fences on the perimeter with motion-detector cameras, I have an audible alarm, and I have a 1927 Thompson with a 50 round circular magazine for more heavy duty, close-in security if they get past all that. :rockon:

Ha! Considering I live in a rural area, where it would take 30 minutes at least to get either, I am SOL with "government" services providing anything in real time. That's why I have my own. Home is sprinklered, automatic heavy locked security gates and fences on the perimeter with motion-detector cameras, I have an audible alarm, and I have a 1927 Thompson with a 50 round circular magazine for more heavy duty, close-in security if they get past all that. :rockon:

Glad to hear that you're sprinkled, the company I work for manufactures sprinklers and fire extinguishing products. We even sell a product that will extinguish a fire then reset incase it flares up again.... without water damage! Great for collector cars... although it's a little expensive.

Glad to hear that you're sprinkled, the company I work for manufactures sprinklers and fire extinguishing products. We even sell a product that will extinguish a fire then reset incase it flares up again.... without water damage! Great for collector cars... although it's a little expensive.

It was a sensible, and not too expensive decision to sprinkle. We built the house and classic car garage custom and so it was much cheaper to do from the start and design it in, than a retro-fit. Probably would not have done a retro-fit, that would have been very expensive.

Archived