TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best Car Wash and Wax for my 2007 Black and Silver Shelby GT

nobogie1

Turtle wax ice paste two coats once a year. Use spray detailer in between to wipe down. Use turtle wax wash if it gets muddy and needs a wash. Use way more than it says to so you get a real bubbly solution to help carry away the grime and not gat micro scratches from wiping stuff around. Then after the wash follow with detailer. Two or three times during the season follow with turtle wax liquid to help replenish and continue with detailer as needed. If you do that you should be good for three seasons at which time a full professional detailing will be in order. I followed this routine with my black and red bj Shelby's.

Turtle wax paste and liquid leave no white residue and can be used on the vinyl stripes and all black plastic parts. Use extra coats on the vinyl front spoiler a d bugs come right off

Black paint is really hard to keep up with manual processes as it gets micro scratches the less rubbing and polishing the longer between pro detailings (unless you're really good with a buffer / polisher). That's why I use the turtle wax products as they leave little behind

I forgot to add that the annual paste wax application SHALL be preceded by a wash with dewaxing detergent and a clay bar clean. With the clay bar be careful at the vinyl stripe edges and go from the stripe to the paint or avoid the edge altogether but do get the clay bar on the stripes

Wow... All these Adams recommendations and I haven't even given my 2 cents worth!

I highly recommend Adams and it doesn't leave residue either. And is safe for stripes. I've done a black Shelby GT.

As posted above as long as you use a quality wax and wash, process is everything.

IMG_3710.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

ChrisThumbsUp.jpg

What is the best wash and wax on my 2007 Black and Silver Shelby GT? I prefer to use spray wash and wax.

Shelby's deserve better than over the counter products. I only use Zaino products or my new favorite- Fireglaze. This is not a wax, it is a sealant. Unbelievable shine and protection.

I've used most everything over the past few years and always go back to a couple of items.

I wash it in Dawn liquid, then remove any tar with Jet-A/kerosene, then I clay bar the entire car using Adam's Detail as the lub. I cover the car for the night in the garage, then use a duster and then lay down and remove with a light buffer 2 coats of ICE paste, I also paste most of under the hood as well. (What you will enjoy is that it is safe for the vinyl stripes and no residue on the edges to have to deal with.) It can be applied in shade or sun.

Between coats I'll wipe it down with Adam's Detail Polish.

It's pretty easy to make a dark car look "deep", but white? And when you are through, it looks about a foot deep and my painted Vista Blue stripes looking like they are hovering above the paint, but smooth to the touch.

I keep it touched up with ICE liquid on the leading edges. If I have a lot of bugs, at pre-wash, I mix a paste of RO water and baking soda and with a wet wash rag, I dab the paste over the bugs....do not scrub. Let stand 2 or 3 minutes, and lightly wipe the residue off, then rinse well.

I use ICE car wash liquid when we can wash cars at home, but since we are still on severe watering rationing, hand wash at a local carwash, even though with my filtered MR. Clean, I use 1/2 the water I would at a car wash.

And when I'm finished, I keep it touched up with Adam's Detail Spray, the glass get's one wipe over with Invisible Glass with a micro cloth, then a light mist and dry with flour sack cotton bar towel.

I was told by a pro detailer that Lucas Oil spray wax is the best that can be bought by consumers: http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?catid=18&iid=79&loc=show

I tried it and works great for a spray wax if that's what you're looking for. I won 1st place in my class of 15 cars at an SAAC show with my plain-jane car after using this wax. See my sig link.

I also use Zaino but it requires a lot of time. The Turtle Wax Ice is a single use clear product that works very well too. You can apply it to almost anything including paint, vinyl, rubber, plastics.

Zaino is good chit! But Ice has very limited durability. I only use Ice when I detail rental cars. You can buy it anywhere and its quick to use.

Yes I'm obsessed. I can't drive it if it doesn't look nice... :runaway:

I've used most everything over the past few years and always go back to a couple of items.

I wash it in Dawn liquid, then remove any tar with Jet-A/kerosene, then I clay bar the entire car using Adam's Detail as the lub. I cover the car for the night in the garage, then use a duster and then lay down and remove with a light buffer 2 coats of ICE paste, I also paste most of under the hood as well. (What you will enjoy is that it is safe for the vinyl stripes and no residue on the edges to have to deal with.) It can be applied in shade or sun.

Between coats I'll wipe it down with Adam's Detail Polish.

It's pretty easy to make a dark car look "deep", but white? And when you are through, it looks about a foot deep and my painted Vista Blue stripes looking like they are hovering above the paint, but smooth to the touch.

I keep it touched up with ICE liquid on the leading edges. If I have a lot of bugs, at pre-wash, I mix a paste of RO water and baking soda and with a wet wash rag, I dab the paste over the bugs....do not scrub. Let stand 2 or 3 minutes, and lightly wipe the residue off, then rinse well.

I use ICE car wash liquid when we can wash cars at home, but since we are still on severe watering rationing, hand wash at a local carwash, even though with my filtered MR. Clean, I use 1/2 the water I would at a car wash.

And when I'm finished, I keep it touched up with Adam's Detail Spray, the glass get's one wipe over with Invisible Glass with a micro cloth, then a light mist and dry with flour sack cotton bar towel.

Our ingredients and recipes are almost identical!!! I tried various spray detailers and find them to be almost identical - so I use Ice or Maguiars whichever one is on sale. Even though Adams Polishes is just down the street they are not carried in local retail places.

Our ingredients and recipes are almost identical!!! I tried various spray detailers and find them to be almost identical - so I use Ice or Maguiars whichever one is on sale. Even though Adams Polishes is just down the street they are not carried in local retail places.

Tony, closest to you would probably be McGukin Hardware in Boulder. That is however one of their larger retailers in the area that carries many of their products.

Tony, closest to you would probably be McGukin Hardware in Boulder. That is however one of their larger retailers in the area that carries many of their products.

I never think of McGuckins but of course if you want something they have it... I'll try to remember that when it comes time to replenish.

Now I have to decide if I want to go the buffer route. Thinking about it for spring cleaning.

P.S. What to use for this is a very religious topic. None are wrong and all are right. Find something that works for you and stick with it.

I'm sorry about the no line breaks, this site is not working with IE10 and will not let me insert any empty lines. When I was about 10, my Dad was at work and being the "good son" I was, I went out to the garage and waxed my Dad's new Eldorado. I got all the wax on and then it would not come off. I worked on it all afternoon and got one half of the hood done. That night at dinner, my step mom made me fess up. I quietly explained to him that I waxed the entire car, just as we had done many times before but it would not come off. He gently smiled, wiped his mouth and said, well son, we don't have any car wax. That he needed to get some. I said we did, it's the big yellow can with Johnson's on it. He smiled, gritting his teeth and said, no, that's old wood wax. I spent the next few days, once section at a time getting the wax buffed off the Eldorado. And when the story was told by my Dad the rest of his life; he stated he never had to wax that caddie again. :-)

Archived