TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Shorty Headers Lead To P0430 Code

shelbypt

This past summer, my car was used to build a prototype shorty header from ARH. The shorty's are made of stainless steel. The headers were designed to bolt up to the stock exhaust, I have a 2008 GT500KR. Shortly after they were done, I got a P0430 code, which is the second bank Cat is inefficient. With only 7k on the engine, I have a hard time believing that the Cat is bad. I switched the 02 sensor from the right side to the left and after driving it for about 15 miles, the same code came up, so it's not a 02 sensor problem. Could it be a timing issue on how quick the 02 sensor is heating up? Any ideas?

This past summer, my car was used to build a prototype shorty header from ARH. The shorty's are made of stainless steel. The headers were designed to bolt up to the stock exhaust, I have a 2008 GT500KR. Shortly after they were done, I got a P0430 code, which is the second bank Cat is inefficient. With only 7k on the engine, I have a hard time believing that the Cat is bad. I switched the 02 sensor from the right side to the left and after driving it for about 15 miles, the same code came up, so it's not a 02 sensor problem. Could it be a timing issue on how quick the 02 sensor is heating up? Any ideas?

The O2 sensors have built-in heaters so they come on-line ASAP.

My best guess is that you have a exhaust leak upstream (at the manifold flange) letting air (O2) into the exh. stream.

Did you change your post-Cat sensors or just your pre-Cat sensors?

If just the pre-Cat, try switching the post-Cat sensors to see if the problem chases the sensor or still remains on the same bank.

Phill

The O2 sensors have built-in heaters so they come on-line ASAP.

My best guess is that you have a exhaust leak upstream (at the manifold flange) letting air (O2) into the exh. stream.

Did you change your post-Cat sensors or just your pre-Cat sensors?

If just the pre-Cat, try switching the post-Cat sensors to see if the problem chases the sensor or still remains on the same bank.

Phill

The sensors that I switched out were the sensors that are in the cats. I believe these are the post cat sensors or secondary.

I thought about the exhaust leak, but I don't hear a leak. Is it possible to still have a leak that is undetectable to the ear but cause the code?

Got any photos of the headers? Does ARH intend to bring these to the market?

Tob, I do have some pics, but I'm not putting them out yet. They are intended to go to market. I believe testing is being done right now to determine if they are 50 state street legal.

Tob, I do have some pics, but I'm not putting them out yet. They are intended to go to market. I believe testing is being done right now to determine if they are 50 state street legal.

Sounds promising. Even if they are not 50 state they should pass the sniffer with the stock midpipe in place.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived