TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wired.com GT500 Review

Twitch

Copy. I posted it primarily because it is the latest review out there & thought folks might find it amusing...kind of like reading cnet's car reviews. Funny that most of the downsides/negatives don't bother me at all. It's a freakin' muscle car!

Wired Magazine - oh, now there is a real automotive authority.

Indeed. The review seemed like a rehash/rewrite of other reviews -- i.e., quoting Motor Trend 0-60 times and quarter-mile times without actually citing a source, as if the author actually achieved those times himself.

And that bit about the live rear axle "exhibiting a tendency to axle hop under hard braking" leaves one wondering. . . . I haven't yet taken delivery of my GT500, but I've driven plenty of RWD cars with live axle rear ends, most of them muscle cars. And never once have I experienced "axle hop under hard braking." Is this a phenomenon unique to the GT500? Or was the author confusing wheel hop under hard acceleration with ABS chatter in hard braking? Which begs the question: Does he even know the difference?

And other questions that deserve begging are these: Why would Ford/SVT send a test mule to be reviewed by Wired magazine? And for four days? Do people who read Wired magazine fit within the target audience of SVT? I would suspect not, guessing that the majority of Wired readers fancy themselves as "enlightened" and "modern" and therefore averse to the concept of a "muscle car" or a "performance car." Given the choice, I'm guessing these people would prefer mass transit as a means to get to work, or at least some "greener" means, and by no means an evil American car powered by a gas-guzzling V8. What's next? A review by the AARP Monthly?

The author did have one original thought: that the exhaust sounds like a "rolling kettle drum." Weak, but original. It invokes images of the author driving it around in a parking lot -- if he were to be so lucky. . . .

Do people who read Wired magazine fit within the target audience of SVT? I would suspect not, guessing that the majority of Wired readers fancy themselves as "enlightened" and "modern" and therefore averse to the concept of a "muscle car" or a "performance car." Given the choice, I'm guessing these people would prefer mass transit......

I read wired magazine! Not everyone who owns a GT500 is a stereotypical NASCAR bruiser......

M

I read wired magazine! Not everyone who owns a GT500 is a stereotypical NASCAR bruiser......

M

I am a tech geek - but sorry - Wired is not a place I would go to for an authoritative review on the Shelby GT500 - maybe on a new Cisco Riverbed Router or a new 500 TB NAS - but not on a Shelby review - and yes I am a regular of NASCAR races.

So you need to be what 30 to buy a Shelby and 50 is too old? What is the Target age/ buyer?

OK, got your point. By the way, I'm 55, and my GT500 has been built and will be delivered soon. (Not a member of AARP, though, and never will be.) Maybe I should have inserted Cosmopolitan or Field and Stream for my suggestion as to where next to look for a GT500 review. Or maybe Guns and Ammo or the 2012 Doomsday Planner (Google it -- it's there!).

Good question about the target audience of the GT500. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that people in their 20s and 30s, and most people in their 40s -- in general -- do not fit under the bell-shaped curve, mostly because of financial constraints. However, people my age, who happen to be enthusiasts, who are old enough to have known the muscle cars of the late 60s and early 70s -- and who have the financial wherewithal -- are ripe for the picking. The rest are outliers (and may God bless them for their good fortune).

Rick

OK, got your point. By the way, I'm 55, and my GT500 has been built and will be delivered soon. (Not a member of AARP, though, and never will be.) Maybe I should have inserted Cosmopolitan or Field and Stream for my suggestion as to where next to look for a GT500 review. Or maybe Guns and Ammo or the 2012 Doomsday Planner (Google it -- it's there!).

Good question about the target audience of the GT500. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that people in their 20s and 30s, and most people in their 40s -- in general -- do not fit under the bell-shaped curve, mostly because of financial constraints. However, people my age, who happen to be enthusiasts, who are old enough to have known the muscle cars of the late 60s and early 70s -- and who have the financial wherewithal -- are ripe for the picking. The rest are outliers (and may God bless them for their good fortune).

Rick

You're not going to far out on that limb... There's an average age thread of Shelby owners. And the last time I looked it was dominated by the 50 year to 60 year category. We are what we are and make no excuses for it. For the record I'm 53... Have had my Shelby for 4 years in March 2013.

The President is a big GT500 fan...

http://mustangsdaily...lby-gt500-sick/

No, he's not. He's a liberal politician, and will therefore tell everyone in the room what they want to hear. Check out his record on energy policy to see what "a big GT500 fan" he is. Or for that matter, check out his record on "industrial policy" (i.e., taxpayer subsidies for the Chevy Volt and other failed green energy pies in the sky). Actions speak louder than words.

The only way Barack Obama would be a fan of the GT500 is if taxpayers bought one for him. But then, he would need someone like Sarah Palin to teach him how to drive a stick.

Just for the little mini survey going on here, I am 59. Does seem to be a large amount of older owners. Oh well, at least the median life expectancy is going up so we can enjoy our cars longer. :rip:

Well, shit. But I have to wonder: Since most of us on here are on life's back 9, it seems we'd run into a sexy beer-cart girl every once in a while.

No, he's not. He's a liberal politician, and will therefore tell everyone in the room what they want to hear. Check out his record on energy policy to see what "a big GT500 fan" he is. Or for that matter, check out his record on "industrial policy" (i.e., taxpayer subsidies for the Chevy Volt and other failed green energy pies in the sky). Actions speak louder than words.

The only way Barack Obama would be a fan of the GT500 is if taxpayers bought one for him. But then, he would need someone like Sarah Palin to teach him how to drive a stick.

Keep the politics out of the discussion.

The President of the United States paid the GT500 a compliment.

Leave it at that.

Keep the politics out of the discussion.

The President of the United States paid the GT500 a compliment.

Leave it at that.

Just curious: When the subject of the age of GT500 owners comes up as an off-topic aside on this thread, why do you have nothing to say about it? And when a poster cites the president saying he's a fan of the GT500, which is also off-topic -- and political -- why do you have nothing to say about that? After all, everything every politician utters in the public arena is for maximum political effect, including what any politician has to say about the GT500. Which is to say that whatever that politician has to say tends to be disingenuous -- and especially in this case -- and therefore deserves a rebuke, which the poster citing the president most certainly invited, if not baited -- so why not chide him for keeping politics out of the discussion? Just curious.

I'll leave it at that.

Just curious: When the subject of the age of GT500 owners comes up as an off-topic aside on this thread, why do you have nothing to say about it? And when a poster cites the president saying he's a fan of the GT500, which is also off-topic -- and political -- why do you have nothing to say about that? After all, everything every politician utters in the public arena is for maximum political effect, including what any politician has to say about the GT500. Which is to say that whatever that politician has to say tends to be disingenuous -- and especially in this case -- and therefore deserves a rebuke, which the poster citing the president most certainly invited, if not baited -- so why not chide him for keeping politics out of the discussion? Just curious.

I'll leave it at that.

Like many other car forums, that political comments and arguments are NOT TOLERATED.

The fact a person, President or plumber, gives the GT500 a well deserved compliment IS NO a political comment while your reply was a political comment.

EDIT: removed reference to TOS as its not written there...my bad!

Archived