TEAM SHELBY FORUM

equal or slightly faster than the 1987–1993 V8 Ford Mustangs and Corvettes.......

shelbymotorsports

Now thats too funny. Equal or faster..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Other-SHELBY-1986-OMNI-SHELBY-GLHS-87K-ORIG-MILES-CALIFORNIA-CAR-UPGRADES-296-OF-500-/230900331387?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35c2bb737b

And can you really call it a "California car" when new it was shipped to Utah, spent time in Michigan and is now in Missouri?

And if this is the GLHS that I'm thinking of it has had more than two owners.

Steve

Regarding the equal or faster...

The advertiser copied his info from Wikipedia ... I'm not saying I agree with Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_GLHS

However....

I just read on a couple of old articles that this GLHS could run low 14 second quarters, and the 93 5.0 ran mid to high 14 sec. quarters.

Regarding the equal or faster...

The advertiser copied his info from Wikipedia ... I'm not saying I agree with Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Shelby_GLHS

However....

I just read on a couple of old articles that this GLHS could run low 14 second quarters, and the 93 5.0 ran mid to high 14 sec. quarters.

The famous "GLHS whips GT350" April 1986 Hot Rod magazine recorded a 14.7 quarter for the GLHS and that was with a "ringer" GLHS. Actual real times were in the 15's. Corvettes from that time frame ran from high 13's to low 14's.

Now a modified GLHS can do much better than 15's but to claim a stock GLHS was equal to any Mustang or Corvette produced from 1987-93 is just not accurate.

Steve

Personal hearsay (OR heresy) about the Shelby Dodge Omnis/Chargers:

1) I had a 600± HP Corvette owner, walk up to me at a show, this past summer, point at my 220 HP Shelby Charger and say "Your car could 'take' any car in this show, except for those made specifically for racing"

2) My good friend that owned a 5.0 Mustang, when new, (the last model year before Fuel injection), said basically the same thing. Light car, hi HP, it's going to move!

FUNNIEST one: 3) Another former owner of a THEN new 5.0 Mustang, said he was riding around town, all 'hot-to-trot' in his 5.0, when "One of these (pointing at my car) 'RAPED' me!"

(NOTE: Glad I don't race, so I don't have to prove the validity of these statements)!

Personal hearsay (OR heresy) about the Shelby Dodge Omnis/Chargers:

1) I had a 600± HP Corvette owner, walk up to me at a show, this past summer, point at my 220 HP Shelby Charger and say "Your car could 'take' any car in this show, except for those made specifically for racing"

2) My good friend that owned a 5.0 Mustang, when new, (the last model year before Fuel injection), said basically the same thing. Light car, hi HP, it's going to move!

FUNNIEST one: 3) Another former owner of a THEN new 5.0 Mustang, said he was riding around town, all 'hot-to-trot' in his 5.0, when "One of these (pointing at my car) 'RAPED' me!"

(NOTE: Glad I don't race, so I don't have to prove the validity of these statements)!

Agreed. Modified Shelby Dodge's have the potential to be street terrors. My goofing on the sellers statement was made towards his comparasion of stock showroom vehicles. Although according to Ilmor he copied these statements from Wikipedia which if he did, he obviously did not research the claims.

Steve

• 1 month later...

80s vette where far from the fastest thing (especially autos). Heck, a V6 nissan altima would give one a run for their money. I'd say this statement is accurate. I have a few of vette friends, and owned a couple of 5.0 foxbodies (and a 351transplanted Capri), and from what I experienced and what I read, this seems right. No stock C4 vette in the 80s did the 1/4 in the 13s. It was high 14s, pushing 15. The numbers varied year to year, but went as high as 14.8. Fox bodies were the same. In 89, MT rated the 5.0 @ 14.9 I believe. So I would think the Shelby Dodges were at least on-par

vette and 5.0s to this day were overhyped just a little...mainly because they were the only things around with a V8.

• 4 weeks later...

Car & Driver gave the Omni GLHS a 1/4m at 14.9 93mph. For the Charger GLHS it was 14.9 at 95mph.

These numbers of course were all GLHS' with the detuned Stage I. Stage II is what every GLHS on the street ended up with, so Mustangs were no problem.

Hell, I could run door to door with a 5.0 with my T1 Shelby Charger with the Mopar performance computer.

• 1 month later...

Back in the 80's during my racing days in Hawaii I drove a GLH Turbo and we spent a lot of time at the track so I can give you a pretty good comparison of most cars. You also have to remember that Mustangs of the day WERE available with 215hp V8's but it was much more likely you were going to be facing one of the 165hp suckers. Even with the high hp motor, lots came with the crappy rear end. This is just what the dealers were ordering. Gas crunch and all that.

So... Off of memory. Generally around 80 degrees high humidity with a 2 to 5 mph headwind. Weather is pretty predictable.

Known stock cars. GLH Turbo: 15.9. Shelby Charger: 16.0 86 Mustang GT auto: 16.9, 85 Camaro Z28 H.O.: 17.1. Later 5.0 mustangs seemed to be in the mid low 15's, 305 Z28's In the low 16's, 350 Z28's mid low 15's. most of the corvettes were in the high 14's. The one ZR-1 I saw couldn't E.T. It was running in the low 14's. And the intercooled Grand Nationals around 14.8 give or take.

very few real Shelby's in Hawaii at the time. But, decked out Shelby Charger with 10 lbs race computer and intercooler with exhaust managed a 14.8. Basically similar specs to a GLHS. Minus 2lbs of boost but with exhaust.

GLH Turbo with suspension and a 50hp stage one nitrous kit ran a 13.89.

Other GLH Turbo with 10lbs computer and exhaust ran 15.6's.

It was generally accepted that in Hawaii the cars ET about half a second slower that the cooler dryer areas in the mainland.

Im sure the super spec'ed fast cars exist and were out there, but you just didn't see them in real life.

Archived