TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Exhaust Mod - 302 Side Dumps

Madlock

I've been considering for some time incorporating the BOSS 302's side exhaust dumps into my '12 and '13 GT500 with QTP remote actuators.

The side exhaust components, spacers, and gaskets are readily available and relatively inexpensive. The only non part-for-part portion of the installation is incorporating each side dumps into its respective main exhaust path, something the 302 does through a modified H pipe with a "T" intersection on each side.

Can anybody recommend a quality custom exhaust builder who can fabricate a custom section of GT500 exhaust with a requisite intersection on each side that could be easily inserted in place of an existing length at the appropriate location or a vendor who sells a variety of generic exhaust components that might include a compatible "T"?

I'd appreciate any referrals or recommendations any experienced exhaust modifiers may be able to offer.

You should read Alex's thread showing this conversion. Not sure how much difference there is between the 2007 and 2012-13 exhaust.

There are several pages, enjoy. . .

http://www.teamshelb...427-vert-build/

Might look at this h-pipe Alex has listed on ebay and ask him if it would work on your ride.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Mustang-Boss-302-H-Pipe-Side-Exhaust-Starter-Shelby-GT-V6-5-0-FREE-SHIP-/281041061272?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item416f5a4598

You should just wait because it has been hinted that ford racing is going to come out with a kit for the gt500.

Or see if Tob will do it for you. He has done others and is probably the best at it. He said though that those waiting for FRPP to offer this will be "pleasently surprised" so he obviously knows something about this.

I've done a few of these systems now, for both '07-'10 as well as '11-'13 catted pipe sections.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/801706-boss-302-quad-pipes-gt500.html

There a few different ways to do it. At current, the most economical is to simply purchase the FRPP 5.0 kit and cut/weld in the section that already has the tubing/flanges for side pipe attachment. In the end, you have 100% factory Ford parts and all you'd have to do to a '11-'13 system is make two cuts that are then clamped, just as FRPP does it with other kits of this nature. The key is in reworking the Boss 'H' section to ensure a smooth transition. Makes for a truly great aural experience. And yes, if you can wait, FRPP has hinted that a '11-'13 system is on the way.

Not sure how much difference there is between the 2007 and 2012-13 exhaust.

I documented the difference between all systems, '07-'13 in the following thread.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/843808-boss-302-vs-07-08-09-gt500-vs-11-12-13-gt500-oe-h-x-pipe-comparison.html

• 8 months later...

The kit to put the Boss 302 side pipes onto a GT500 are now available with Ford Racing kit M-5220-MSVT. I just installed on my 2012 GT500 and am very happy with results while still running the stock GT500 mufflers. With the sound directed to the sides, you hear the exhaust much more as the sound bounces off of sound walls, tunnels and other cars as you drive by. The kit as shipped is 29.4 lbs. When I was done, I put the old H-pipe and deflectors back into the box and weighed it at 14.4 lbs so the mod adds 15 lbs to the car, but you get the great sound and probably a slight bump in horsepower.

post-41891-0-94346800-1379291137_thumb.jpg

post-41891-0-94346800-1379291137_thumb.jpg

The kit to put the Boss 302 side pipes onto a GT500 are now available with Ford Racing kit M-5220-MSVT. I just installed on my 2012 GT500 and am very happy with results while still running the stock GT500 mufflers. With the sound directed to the sides, you hear the exhaust much more as the sound bounces off of sound walls, tunnels and other cars as you drive by. The kit as shipped is 29.4 lbs. When I was done, I put the old H-pipe and deflectors back into the box and weighed it at 14.4 lbs so the mod adds 15 lbs to the car, but you get the great sound and probably a slight bump in horsepower.

Beware, the "stepped" clamps FRPP has been providing are wrong. You can call them them on the FRPP hotline, as have others with this kit. You need a constant diameter clamp, such as the 2-3/4" factory clamps that come at the end of the factory "H" section.

• 1 month later...
I have read through all of the threads I can find related to this product install. I noticed in the beginning of one of them Tob was considering cutting out the small 'lawnmower' muffler in each quad pipe. I can understand the hesitation considering tone and volume of the resulting sound. My question is, has anyone tried this? and if so how did it sound? I have the M-5220-MSVT kit sitting in front of me pending installation and was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on having a removable section made to remove/replace the mini muffler at will. Basically a straight pipe replacement, but retain the ability to have the mini muffler when necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this as I don't come here that often. When I was researching the entire system and discovered the mini mufflers I did indeed consider removing them. After all they are tiny. After consulting with Shawn Carney (on of the two at Ford responsible for the Boss side exhaust) I changed my mind. He stated that it would be very loud, as in overpowering the tone from the rear, and said that I may like it for thirty seconds or so but that I would quickly change my mind and want it changed back. I took heed in what he said and abandoned the idea.

I think were to have done it, I'd have incorporated the electric cutouts so that it was either all or nothing at the flick of a switch.

Archived