TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT350 to be Made in Detroit?

Akos (AJ)

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can only say I hope not. That would be the end of SAI as we know it. This is what happened in 67 when Ford took over the production of the GT 350 and then the GT 500. Then Shelby effectively went out of business and CS went off to Africa or wherever for a decade. When Ford took over they replaced the Schieffer racing clutch and other racing items to make the car more civilized and to appeal to more so they could sell more. It was no longer a real Shelby. And we could be going back that way again. The only positive is that it might make the SGT and other real Shelby automobiles appreciate in value sooner. And there would never be a real Shelby again since the man is gone.

I can only say I hope not. That would be the end of SAI as we know it.

I have a sneaky feeling that with the end of the S197 platform in 2015, we will see the end of the FoMoCo/SVT GT500 and the advent of the SVT GT350.

That could allow Shelby to take a Mustang GT350 and make them into GT350R's or a Mustang GT and make them into GT500's and GT500 Super Snake's for a 'multi-level' upfit program.

Shelby American could either license the GT350 name (and get royalties PER UNIT) or outright sell the GT350 name to Ford for a large sum of money so FoMoCo could build them outright/indefinitely.

And that way, Shelby American can create revenue at many different levels, and GROW rather than remain stagnant.

A interesting thought.......

Phill

And there would never be a real Shelby again since the man is gone.

That really depends on the people that run Shelby American. They were put in place by Carroll and I'm quite sure he had a plan. Including the faith of the GT350.

Disney, the company was in a similar situation when Walt Disney passed away. And I would argue that nobody says that the modern Disney cartoons are not the real thing.

The rumor is 100% true - Before CS passed he had Ford fly in and meet with him & Traci Smith (President, CSL) in California - CSL (Carroll Shelby Licensing) and he personally signed the deal for the GT 350 to be made along side the GT 500, in Detroit, when the new body-style debuts in 2014/15.

i would ask Luft & Co. for info on this rumor but I am still waiting for SAI's financials

:hysterical2:

I thought you were a major shareholder?

By law, you have to be provided the financials upon request (and usually, even without requesting them).

Is CSBI a LLC?

Phill

I thought you were a major shareholder?

By law, you have to be provided the financials upon request (and usually, even without requesting them).

Is CSBI a LLC?

Phill

Read the definition of a "Pink Sheet" stock. One of the automatic things that moves to Pink Sheet is lack of financial filings with the SEC.

What does that do to the value of the SAI GT350's though?

Very likely nothing for the next 40 years... And if the SVT version is closer in spirit to the original GT350 than the current Vegas cars, it will hurt it.

Very likely nothing for the next 40 years... And if the SVT version is closer in spirit to the original GT350 than the current Vegas cars, it will hurt it.

Very likely true.

Glad I have one of the forgotten Shelby's that SVT will never think to reinvent. Lol.

I have a sneaky feeling that with the end of the S197 platform in 2015, we will see the end of the FoMoCo/SVT GT500 and the advent of the SVT GT350.

That could allow Shelby to take a Mustang GT350 and make them into GT350R's or a Mustang GT and make them into GT500's and GT500 Super Snake's for a 'multi-level' upfit program.

Shelby American could either license the GT350 name (and get royalties PER UNIT) or outright sell the GT350 name to Ford for a large sum of money so FoMoCo could build them outright/indefinitely.

And that way, Shelby American can create revenue at many different levels, and GROW rather than remain stagnant.

A interesting thought.......

Phill

And an interesting change of viewpoint

Back to the cars - I could see the GT350 becoming an SVT production vehicle.

What does that do to the value of the SAI GT350's though?

Probably the same difference as between the 1967 Shelby's Built by SAI and the 1968 Shelby's which were NOT built by SAI.

ALSO: if Ford waits until the 2015 NEW Body Style, it should NOT hurt the Values of the SAI built Cars.

And there would never be a real Shelby again since the man is gone.

What? There are no "real" Ferrari's since Enzo passed? No "real" Apple since Jobs passed? No "real" Disney movies since Walt passed? Come on, the man has passed but his influence and vision live on. Those of us who purchased a car with his name on it while he was alive are indeed fortunate. I have his signature on my dash, although my car has never seen Las Vegas. I don't see much difference in the value of the original GT 500's whether built in Detroit or in Shelby's facility. They were all stamped with his "brand". They were distinctly different from the other Mustangs on the street. If Ford/SVT continues this school of thought, then the Shelby name will continue to mean something. But, if it's just a stripe and spoiler package, the name becomes watered down. I hope Ford and SAI will not let that happen.

What? There are no "real" Ferrari's since Enzo passed? No "real" Apple since Jobs passed? No "real" Disney movies since Walt passed? Come on, the man has passed but his influence and vision live on. Those of us who purchased a car with his name on it while he was alive are indeed fortunate. I have his signature on my dash, although my car has never seen Las Vegas. I don't see much difference in the value of the original GT 500's whether built in Detroit or in Shelby's facility. They were all stamped with his "brand". They were distinctly different from the other Mustangs on the street. If Ford/SVT continues this school of thought, then the Shelby name will continue to mean something. But, if it's just a stripe and spoiler package, the name becomes watered down. I hope Ford and SAI will not let that happen.

Well said .

67`, 68, ` 69 `& 70` are still Shelby`s the last time I looked .

The 2015 model year and the new gas mileage mandate is reminiscent of 1974 all over again. Ole Shelby would have been focusing on pocket rockets in a few years anyways.

Shelby parts has a good future. You will be able to Shelbyize several models..

Please be very clear everyone the 1967 Shelby GT350 and GT500 were all built at Shelby American airport facilities in Los Angeles, Ford took over production in 1968 at A.O. Smith in michigan. SAAC will verify this fact.

Which is pretty much what I was getting at on Post #15. The '68-'69-'70 Shelbys are Still Shelby's and sell for a pretty penny even though they were NOT built by SAI. Same can be said if Ford takes over production of the GT 350.

Yes they are "Shelby's" but do they appreciate at the same rate? CS made the 65-66 and 67 GT 350 and then the GT 500. But Ford felt they could sell more if they put in a back seat, an easier clutch, and add air conditioning and other amenities. Ford was right. They did sell more. But the value of a 65-67 Shelby is far more than a 68. The 65-66 had the 289 Hi-po and when Ford took over all it had was a garden variety 302 4v. Remember Ford is in this to make money and to do that they must sell more. But it will be different. I remember in 69 when Ford offered the Hurst shifter on Mustangs. But it was still junk because while it was a Hurst shifter they used Ford linkage. Anything to save a penny or more. so yes I believe this prediction could come true. But I believe the real Shelby's, made by Shelby Inc and converted by Shelby in Vegas, will be worth more, in the future, than a Ford with the Shelby decal. JMO

And an interesting change of viewpoint

No change at all.

Reread my post/comment you refer to. THE WHOLE POST (and subsequent follow-up comments).

Specifically the part about Shelby owning the rights to the GT350 name, and follow-up saying they would have to to either sell the rights or license Ford to use it.

Phill

Yes they are "Shelby's" but do they appreciate at the same rate?

There is an underlying assumption here that the "modern" Shelby cars (2006 and newer) will actually appreciate in time the same way the original "60s cars did. But, the car business is not like the wine business where you can predict future appreciation based on your harvest. So far, I haven't seen Shelby cars' value increasing, with the exception of some of the prototype/concept cars. As of today they are probably just depreciating at a slower rate than your run of the mill Mustang. (Feel free to prove me wrong on this one, I don't have any statistical data)

Part of the story that appeals to many today about Shelby's cars is the fact that back in the day you could buy them for fairly cheap. Heck, Carroll offered one of the Daytona Coupes to his driver for $4000 at the end of the racing season. Today, when a Vegas car is well North of $60K by the time it's built, and a SVT GT500 is $50K+ at the dealership, that part of the story is just not going to be there 30-40 years from now. Therefore, whatever future appreciation we will see on these cars, it won't be even close in magnitude....

Yes they are "Shelby's" but do they appreciate at the same rate? CS made the 65-66 and 67 GT 350 and then the GT 500. But Ford felt they could sell more if they put in a back seat, an easier clutch, and add air conditioning and other amenities. Ford was right. They did sell more. But the value of a 65-67 Shelby is far more than a 68. The 65-66 had the 289 Hi-po and when Ford took over all it had was a garden variety 302 4v. Remember Ford is in this to make money and to do that they must sell more. But it will be different. I remember in 69 when Ford offered the Hurst shifter on Mustangs. But it was still junk because while it was a Hurst shifter they used Ford linkage. Anything to save a penny or more. so yes I believe this prediction could come true. But I believe the real Shelby's, made by Shelby Inc and converted by Shelby in Vegas, will be worth more, in the future, than a Ford with the Shelby decal. JMO

I might be wrong on this BUT, aren't there MORE 2007-2009 Shelby GT 500's then the Total Number of 1965-1970 Shelby's? If that is the Case, the "Modern Shelby's" will NEVER rises in Value like the Older Shelby's. If, 30 Years from now a 2007 GT 500 is ever worth $100,000.00 then the 1965 Shelby will be going for about $500,000.00 or more.

Shelby parts has a good future. You will be able to Shelbyize several models..

On the long run, this will be true only if Shelby starts developing its own parts today, or have exclusivity on key performance components developed by their partners. Right now if you look at the Shelby catalog, the majority of those parts are available from multiple vendors and very often at a better price than the Shelby badged versions. How long does it take for someone to figure out that they are paying extra simply for putting the 6 letters on the parts? I know that there is a "tribe" that values that, but the number of those customers is very limited. Therefore, the Shelby parts business will not scale if all they do is "badge engineer" things.

SORRY to see SHELBY is not going to build the GT 350 . I had a SHELBY GT 350 2011 and lost it to SANDY . I have to tell you that the car was so great that word can't be put in to words . I ORDERED a 2014 mustang and I'm sending it to SHELBY to make her it to a SUPER SNAKE . Some say it cost to much and Mr SHELBY is gone but the man and women are there and they are part of Mr SHELBY in PART . Don't get me wrong FORD did A GREAT job but SHELBY put's the iceing on her .

On the long run, this will be true only if Shelby starts developing its own parts today, or have exclusivity on key performance components developed by their partners. Right now if you look at the Shelby catalog, the majority of those parts are available from multiple vendors and very often at a better price than the Shelby badged versions. How long does it take for someone to figure out that they are paying extra simply for putting the 6 letters on the parts? I know that there is a "tribe" that values that, but the number of those customers is very limited. Therefore, the Shelby parts business will not scale if all they do is "badge engineer" things.

Words of wisdom for sure. How is SAI set up for in-house R&D and product developement.

Count me in as one of the tribe that only wants brand badged parts on my Shelby. I even save all the Shelby heading receipts to prove the mods where real Shelby parts..

Archived