TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Very "rare" "continuation" '66 'vert Shelby for sale

What the seller fails to realize with his "story" is that in 1990 Carroll was under contract with Chrysler and in this contract was basically a no compete clause, meaning Carroll could not build cars for anyone other than Chrysler. So until this seller backs up his claims with paperwork.................

It would be interesting to see the California title for this Mustang as I would be shocked to see the VIN number read 6S2393

Steve

This car has been recycled through repeat attempts at a good auction price and has had numerous stories over the years. When I saw it new after its completion decvades ago, it was very nicely done. But after trading hands and not getting a Shelby authentic VIN (Shelby American was not a factory then, only on paper in a file in Gardena, CA), it remains a very nice clone with a nice thread of contoversy. It keeps popping up for sale because after to extensive research, potential buyers do not seem to want to meet the sellers price.

Yup, was supposed to be the SA continuation VIN under an agreement, but that agreement was either rescinded or never finalized, nor ever recognized. it is a phantom VIN. Therefore the only legal VIN is the Ford Mustang VIN. The Shelby plate should haveb been removed but never was, hence the continuing controversy. This car and its history have been discussed many times. The vehicle is not recognized in any Shelby Registry, much to the displeasure of the owner(s). While it was featured in Mustang and Fords Magazine, by the time the magazine came out months later, the "agreement" was no longer in place. This is why the red Mustang keeps coming up for auction periodically. Someone did not do their research and paid a hefty premium and is now finding all is not well.

Simply, it is a nice Shelby GT350 convertible clone that is well done. It's value would be more than a standard 1966 Mustang GT convertible, but way less that a real Shelby GT convertible. It's contriversial history makes it a bit more valuable as does its magazine appearance. Somewhere in the middle is a the correct value.

Here you go, what an interesting "story":

http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_1124wt_1064

friend of mine Sam P. used to own one of the original GT350 Conv.'s but who knew then how rare it really was or I might have bought it off him! He had my ultimate car a 67 GT500 in Highland Green w/ inboards and wanted $32k and keep in mine this was 1992. You bet your ass I regret not buying it everyday

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone explain what is the difference between the Continuation Shelby's, Unique Performance, Classic Recreation? Why did Unique Performance was charged with VIN irregularities but others used the SAI plate and Numbers?

Unique Performance removed original VIN stampings on salvge vehicles and/ot transfered numbers. That is fraud and that is why the Texas police shut them down. The Beverly Hills Motors 1966 continuation convertibles were done under direct contract with Shelby American, which at the time still had an MSO standing from the 1960s operation. The VIN of Shelby 1965-66 vehicles were Shelby numbers, not Ford Mustang numbers. In later years when Shelby American A no longer had a license of manufacture, cars were then given a Shelby contract approval for recreation and Shelby CSM number, but the VIN is still the Ford VIN, not a Shelby American VIN at this point. Without the contract license, the cars were not Shelby "continuation" cars authorized by Shelby Licensing. The central issue is what was made by Shelby American (the original factory) and what was later to be authorized by Shelby Licensing when Shelby American, Inc. no longer had a vehicle manufacturing license.

Unique Performance removed original VIN stampings on salvge vehicles and/ot transfered numbers. That is fraud and that is why the Texas police shut them down. The Beverly Hills Motors 1966 continuation convertibles were done under direct contract with Shelby American, which at the time still had an MSO standing from the 1960s operation. The VIN of Shelby 1965-66 vehicles were Shelby numbers, not Ford Mustang numbers. In later years when Shelby American A no longer had a license of manufacture, cars were then given a Shelby contract approval for recreation and Shelby CSM number, but the VIN is still the Ford VIN, not a Shelby American VIN at this point. Without the contract license, the cars were not Shelby "continuation" cars authorized by Shelby Licensing. The central issue is what was made by Shelby American (the original factory) and what was later to be authorized by Shelby Licensing when Shelby American, Inc. no longer had a vehicle manufacturing license.

Well I get what happen to Unique Performance but I didn't know about the Beverly Hill Motors continuation Shelby's that SAI still had MSO in the 80's. Would make sense since SAI was producing Chrysler product in the 80' to early 90's. So are you saying that other continuation vehicles had a SAI # but was register under the FORD Vin #?

It would be great to have someone like John Luft or other SAI employee explain all this in an upcoming TS Magazine newsletter as I expect it requires much more detail on the history of Shelby American, Shelby Autos, Shelby American, Inc. and Shelby Licensing. There is a difference in the Carroll Shelby network of companies as to authority and responsibilies as to what has been carried out with regards to Shelby named and Shelby produced vehicles. The original Shelby American factory in CA had its own manufacturing license (MSO) like Ford, Chrysler, AMC, Dodge, etc. allowing it to issue its own Federal Vehicle Identification Number (saying VIN number is redundant). That is why the original Cobra roadsters and Shelby Mustangs are registered with a Shelby VIN, not a Ford VIN.

It carried on after the CA shops closed, though there is a "bridge" as cars were assembled elsewhere under license and were issued both Ford and Shelby VINs. Under Shelby American and then Shelby Autos (both also called SA), the factory in Las Vegas returned to MSO status when the Series I was produced. The early roller continuation Cobra roadsters had a Shelby American tag, then a Shelby Autos tag, then a Shelby American, Inc. tag. Most of the first continuation Cobras were able to be registered under the Shelby American number as the shop had a Manufacturers license, though it was actually limited to the Series 1 and not the roller Cobra cars. But that was rarely caught by State DMVs.

When the MSO was lost during the Ventures litigation and Series 1 production stopped, all cars were given a CSM production number, which is not a VIN. The VIN for DMV registration is the Ford VIN. Similarly, cars upgraded under Shelby Licensing are given the authorized CSM number. Most Cobras roadsters have to go through a special process by each State where the DMV may recognize the car as a 1965 continuation vehicle and use the CSM as the VIN or give it a new State VIN. It depends what each state allows.

This may be a bit of a round about explanation, so I hope a historically knowledgeble Shelby American spokesperson can do a full explanation sometime.

It would be great to have someone like John Luft or other SAI employee explain all this in an upcoming TS Magazine newsletter as I expect it requires much more detail on the history of Shelby American, Shelby Autos, Shelby American, Inc. and Shelby Licensing. There is a difference in the Carroll Shelby network of companies as to authority and responsibilies as to what has been carried out with regards to Shelby named and Shelby produced vehicles. The original Shelby American factory in CA had its own manufacturing license (MSO) like Ford, Chrysler, AMC, Dodge, etc. allowing it to issue its own Federal Vehicle Identification Number (saying VIN number is redundant). That is why the original Cobra roadsters and Shelby Mustangs are registered with a Shelby VIN, not a Ford VIN.

It carried on after the CA shops closed, though there is a "bridge" as cars were assembled elsewhere under license and were issued both Ford and Shelby VINs. Under Shelby American and then Shelby Autos (both also called SA), the factory in Las Vegas returned to MSO status when the Series I was produced. The early roller continuation Cobra roadsters had a Shelby American tag, then a Shelby Autos tag, then a Shelby American, Inc. tag. Most of the first continuation Cobras were able to be registered under the Shelby American number as the shop had a Manufacturers license, though it was actually limited to the Series 1 and not the roller Cobra cars. But that was rarely caught by State DMVs.

When the MSO was lost during the Ventures litigation and Series 1 production stopped, all cars were given a CSM production number, which is not a VIN. The VIN for DMV registration is the Ford VIN. Similarly, cars upgraded under Shelby Licensing are given the authorized CSM number. Most Cobras roadsters have to go through a special process by each State where the DMV may recognize the car as a 1965 continuation vehicle and use the CSM as the VIN or give it a new State VIN. It depends what each state allows.

This may be a bit of a round about explanation, so I hope a historically knowledgeble Shelby American spokesperson can do a full explanation sometime.

Wow, Thanks for the info hope other might comment and/or add more history to what you've written.

I'd say "66GT350PS" had summed up the story of this car and related info very well.

This car will always be a conversation piece. I doubt it will ever be considered as a second generation continuation Shelby, even though that was it's intended purpose. It is more than an ordinary clone but far less than a Beverly Hills continuation car without legal documentation to say otherwise. With all the controversy around the Shelby VIN number vs Ford VIN, I would never touch this car for any price. If I were someone who wanted a '66 Shelby vert but couldn't afford the 1 of 4 originals, or the 1 of 12 continuations, I would build my own clone for far less than this car and have my choice of colors, options, etc.

$80k in this market is just not a reasonable expectation for what it is or is not. (my 2 cents)

• 2 weeks later...

I would specualte that the signatures are real. At the time that they were done, CS did have an authorization deal with the maker, but that was pulled, if you read the full story. So the Shelby number is not authorized or valid. That makes the car a very nice reproduction, not a Shelby American continuation vehicle.

I would specualte that the signatures are real. At the time that they were done, CS did have an authorization deal with the maker, but that was pulled, if you read the full story. So the Shelby number is not authorized or valid. That makes the car a very nice reproduction, not a Shelby American continuation vehicle.

My point was that it appears the SFM# was added to the signature which could mislead someone that Shelby himself wrote down the number.

• 6 years later...

Strangely another vehicle is for sale using the same non-existent Shelby serial number of 6S2393. This time the car is a blue in color fastback.

Gotta love the fake "Shelby Invoice" created to "authenticate" the car. See photo below.

For the record the VIN number for this New Jersey built Ford Mustang is 5T09A151729

If potential buyers would only perform an internet search before calling Shelby American, life would be so much easier.

6S2393 Fake Invoice.jpg

Translation of text:

Launched in 1964 the Mustang presents a Fastback coupe, more dynamic in 1965. Shelby will develop

this Fastback, both in terms of engine with 302 or 350 hp (GTR) brakes

and shock absorbers, and anti-reconciliation bar, to make it a true racehorse.

The presented car is a "recreation" on the basis of a Mustang fastback, totally restored,

as Ford provided them to Shelby. The engine that is a real Shelby listed (from a

cost of $ 50,000) develops over 300hp.

It is an ideal car for historical events. Given its exceptional condition, it is also

perfect in use collection or road, being in its original state, without roll bar, a

exceptional condition ($ 100,000 restoration, in state contest).

The owner separates for a Ford GT40, enjoy this opportunity.

Last important point

Last but not least, the restoration in 2005 at Shelby is signed and authenticated

by Caroll Shelby.

6S2393 Fake GT350.jpg

Well is a a guy named "Caroll" signed all the hype, it must be a real good clone, tribute, recreation or whatever, they want to call the 1965 fastback looking like a 1966 GT350.   Terrible fake invoice.  The originals had the information typed with a typewriter (probably didn't knowa typewriter is).

Where did you find this ad posted?

😎

Archived