TEAM SHELBY FORUM

cams for a 06 Hertz

Hey i am working on an 06 Hertz car, and dont wanna do much to it but thought a set a CAMs would be cool, any suggestions i want to keep the car driveable and not loose low end, but just want the lopey sound. Also if I could make some extra hp that would be cool too. I dont wanna go to wild with this car, was also thinking about going with a Ford Racing intake. Any thoughts? Thanks All

Jon

We have an 07 GT with Ford Racing cams, Ford Racing shorty headers, Steeda cold air kit, flowmasters and Jon Lund tune. It is still very drivable with a small loss of low end but a good increase on top. Idle sounds good, probably not as extreme as Comp Cams but the Ford cams don't need phase blockers or valve springs. Our car is an automatic and the tune was difficult, it seems like the auto transmission has trouble with the erratic vacuum at idle and the car wants to surge forward at times. Must be careful when driving slowly and be sure to cover the brake.

so would you do it again or not, I know this sounds stupid but really want it for the sound I have an 07 SGT with a whipple and gears, i have no intentions of making this car that modified but just want a little something was playing with the idea of a set of rear gears as well. Did you do everything at once or in phases. I wont be racing the car just be a fun cruser. How noticable was the low end loss in your opinion i know everyone is different and the seat of the pants ometer is different as well. Thanks for the input

Before I supercharged, I put in FRPP Hot Rod cams. With the auto, took a decent hit on the bottom end, but a good gain on the top. My quarter mile times actually decreased but my top end speed increased a bunch. Very driveable. Nice lopy idle. I would have done it again as it sounded so good.

so would you do it again or not, I know this sounds stupid but really want it for the sound I have an 07 SGT with a whipple and gears, i have no intentions of making this car that modified but just want a little something was playing with the idea of a set of rear gears as well. Did you do everything at once or in phases. I wont be racing the car just be a fun cruser. How noticable was the low end loss in your opinion i know everyone is different and the seat of the pants ometer is different as well. Thanks for the input

My sons car and he did it for the sound. We added headers as we thought it a waste to do cams and not let it breath better. Also added 3.73 gears so the loss of low end was not as noticeable I suppose. We did it all at once so it would be difficult to judge how the different pieces played a role. It does sound very nice. It is a pretty big job, not sure I would do it again but I am sure my son would.

The cams are not that bad. I did mine. You do really need the Ford cam tool however. It really helps to drop out the rockers. You only need to remove them on three cylinders. There are plenty of instructions on the web on how to do it.

I'm doing mine one step at a time....look at the thread I started "Going for 400 HP Naturally Aspirated" to see...I was afraid of low end losses as well, and might not do everything if it pulls down the low end too much.

Andy.

Hey i am working on an 06 Hertz car, and dont wanna do much to it but thought a set a CAMs would be cool, any suggestions i want to keep the car driveable and not loose low end, but just want the lopey sound. Also if I could make some extra hp that would be cool too. I dont wanna go to wild with this car, was also thinking about going with a Ford Racing intake. Any thoughts? Thanks All

Jon

Hot rod cams love the sound and I dropped the idle a bit more so it really sounds mean

I am a DIY guy but little scared of the cams

I did mine as well with a little help from a friend (FRPP hotrod). I'm a DIY guy like you and was a little worried about doing the cams myself. I had already done the FRPP intake so that was out of the way. I used the timing tool, but not the valve lifter, read plenty of reviews where people said you really didn't need it. Don't let the instructions scare you as it did me, it was way easier than I expected. Start to finish I would say 2 1/2 -3 hours, that included clean up and loading the tune. Granted I had a friend helping but it was def not as hard as they make it to be on the instructions. They put way too many warnings on them, I guess to cover their buts from people that have screwed it up, but I think it's overkill.

Anyway, if you decide to do them I have the timing tool and would be willing to let you use it to save you a $100 from having to buy or rent it as long as you paid for shipping to and from. let me know. And yes, with the cams/FR intake set up I did lose some low end power and torque just as JEFFJ said, but I soon there after added the 410 gears and it isn't even noticeable now. I would say go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Jeff

I did mine as well with a little help from a friend (FRPP hotrod). I'm a DIY guy like you and was a little worried about doing the cams myself. I had already done the FRPP intake so that was out of the way. I used the timing tool, but not the valve lifter, read plenty of reviews where people said you really didn't need it. Don't let the instructions scare you as it did me, it was way easier than I expected. Start to finish I would say 2 1/2 -3 hours, that included clean up and loading the tune. Granted I had a friend helping but it was def not as hard as they make it to be on the instructions. They put way too many warnings on them, I guess to cover their buts from people that have screwed it up, but I think it's overkill.

Anyway, if you decide to do them I have the timing tool and would be willing to let you use it to save you a $100 from having to buy or rent it as long as you paid for shipping to and from. let me know. And yes, with the cams/FR intake set up I did lose some low end power and torque just as JEFFJ said, but I soon there after added the 410 gears and it isn't even noticeable now. I would say go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Jeff

Agree, the 4:10 gears are a best friend to the Hot Rod cams with an auto tranny.

Archived