TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Subwoofer - 2007 Convertible

Dukewacoan

I'm looking at adding a subwoofer to my 2007 GT500 Convertible. I have the Shaker 500, but not really wanting to upgrade the head unit, just add a powered subwoofer. Anyone have any luck with doing that and have suggestions? I've read around and because of the trunk issue I cannot find a solution and my local car stereo man is uncertain as well.

Kicker makes what you are looking for, They are also a licensed Carroll Shelby manufacture. You can get the sub with the Shelby name on it. Look thru the catalog and you will find it. It is a nice upgrade. They also offer door speakers. JD

Sorry about that it does say except convertable. I have the factory sub in my car and theres does not look like it takes up any more room than the factory one. I would call them.

• 3 weeks later...

Try looking at the JL shallow mounts, don't have a vert, but I have this 13" sub in the back of my crew cab truck. 2" mounting depth. If I can fit that speaker in there, you should be able to get it in your car. Great performance. If you are looking for something smaller, pioneer makes a 12 I believe. Should give your shop something to work with to get it into the Shelby. You'll be surprised by the price and performance of the JL!

Slightly different question but related - I have a 2008 GT500 with the stock nav head unit. Can this unit power the Kicker Audio 8 Inch Woofers for the doors alone? If not, what amp would I purchase in addition to these woofers to hook up everything using the stock wiring if possible? Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone provide advice? I want to install the 8" Kicker door speakers in a 2008 GT500 with a stock nav unit. Can this stock system power these subwoofer speakers or do I need to install a dedicated amp. If the amp is needed is there a plug-in option?

I would guess you need an amp. My 2008 has the shaker 1000, and it has two amps mounted behind the box in the trunk. I'd bet the shaker 500 has one amp. I am guessing that the whole shaker 1000 thing is only those two amps for the two speaker in the trunk box, cause when I remove the box the stereo sound like a normal factory stereo. Good chance the radio head is the same. Let us know if you find out because I am not a thumper fan anyhow and am going to permanenty remove my shaker box and the amps and put them in the basement to get rid of the weight and get more trunk room.

Archived