TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SAAC 38, California Speedway, Fontana, July 4-5-6

Cali_KR

News on the SAAC Web site, updated Dec 9.: The Shelby American Automobile Club has announced that SAAC-38, the club's National Convention, will be held at Auto Club Speedway (formerly California Speedway) in Fontana, CA. on July 4-5-6, 2013. Full information, registration and details will be available in January.

For those interested in seeing more vintage Shelbys and Cobras than you imagine...this will be the event you want to go to... :rockon:

In addition to open track, there is talk that there will also be drag racing :peelout: :happy feet:

Doh! What a terrible date for me. That is major family time with all kinds of traditions. What a bummer...

Yeah, kind of what I was thinking, too. It would have been great to go to that event when it is in our back yard but, as you say, too much going on with family then to make it realistic to attend. I'm sure those who go will post photos galore.

Jim

Doh! What a terrible date for me. That is major family time with all kinds of traditions. What a bummer...

I say its time to start a new tradition...traditions have to start somewhere, that somewhere may as well be the infield at California Speedway...including something big and aluminum

I plan on attending this event as it is literally 45 minutes from the house.

In fact I was going over the calendar tonight to schedule next year's vacations, I make my requests tomorrow. 3 car events in 2013 to be scheduled, Bash in March, SAAC in July, and Terlingua in October.

Dan

I plan on attending this event as it is literally 45 minutes from the house.

In fact I was going over the calendar tonight to schedule next year's vacations, I make my requests tomorrow. 3 car events in 2013 to be scheduled, Bash in March, SAAC in July, and Terlingua in October.

Dan

= WIN :happy feet:

Will the Shelby CAN-AM be included in this event?

Unless recently changed, SAAC only allows Ford powered vehicles in their events. Your Chrysler powered Shelby Can-Am would not qualify.

Now the good news is that you and your Can-Am would be more than welcome at the Shelby Vegas Bash in March. The upcoming Shelby Bash will be the sixth bash and too date we've never had a Can-Am brought to this event.

Steve

Unless recently changed, SAAC only allows Ford powered vehicles in their events. Your Chrysler powered Shelby Can-Am would not qualify.

Now the good news is that you and your Can-Am would be more than welcome at the Shelby Vegas Bash in March. The upcoming Shelby Bash will be the sixth bash and too date we've never had a Can-Am brought to this event.

Steve

Didn't those cars run an Aurora/Olds V-8 ?

Steve,

Shelby CAN-AM 38 (chassis 038) was at SAAC Vegas in 2006 and did a demo run on the track with Gary Patterson in the factory Series 1.

The Aurora car that is shown in the museum from time to time is actually a mockup done as a promotion to GM for the Series 1. It has never run due to lacking several internals never installed.

The SCA was designed to accommodated a 500 HP "Pro" version that never made it into production but several people, including myself, have installed an engine that comes close to that 500 HP target. My 038 has 465HP and according to Elliott Forbes-Robinson (EFR) after last weeks run at Daytona said the car is really stable at 175 mph and is a "rocket ship". FYI.............a SBF is in development as we write for SCA 037.

Only the "museum pieces" still have the 3.3L Dodge engine and are plenty fast on the track...............2:01 at Daytona on the 3.56 mile 24 hour track.

I will post a photo of the silver Aurora car and red #038 in a reply.

Bob

Didn't those cars run an Aurora/Olds V-8 ?

I think you're thinking of the Series 1.

It would be way cool to see a Shelby CanAm car on the track. The only one I've ever seen is the one in the SAI museum in Vegas. Consider Steve's invite to bring it to Vegas in March. It does make me wonder though about what class he'd run in. Is it considered an open-wheel car?.

I'm surprised as much as they are Shelby fans (and not just Cobras), that none has ever been at the Shelby American Collection. Steve, do you know if Miller owns a CanAm car? If so maybe I could persuade the Boulder location to swap displays :)

The discontinued SAAC Does Vegas events are/were a little different than the annual SAAC convention. At Shelby American's urging the Dodge cars were welcomed in the last year or two but only at the SAAC does Vegas event. Again unless SAAC policy has recently changed, Shelby Dodge cars are not welcome at the SAAC annual convention.

If you're looking for a Shelby event to bring your Can-Am car to, I would suggest the Shelby Vegas Bash or the Mid-American Tulsa event.

Steve

Thanks for the heads up on the convention. I had a ball at the SAAC Does Vegas in '06 and would encourage any and all SCA owners to attend wherever we are welcome. Unfortunately, the Dodge folks are not really into track events other than a few drag events and you guys are into any/all of racing events. Wouldn't it be a HOOT to have "real" Shelby owners vs us "stepchildren" Shelby owners do a challenge somewhere..............sometime.

I will let you Team Shelby promoters think about that possibility.

Cheers and a Merry Christmas to all.

Bob

post-37641-0-37648200-1355771343_thumb.jpg

post-37641-0-84074500-1355771395_thumb.jpg

post-37641-0-37648200-1355771343_thumb.jpg

post-37641-0-84074500-1355771395_thumb.jpg

Just to clarify, as it may be confusing to some, the no longer being held SAAC Does Vegas event is not the same as the Shelby Bash Events.

The SAAC Does Vegas events were put on by the SAAC club with the assistance of Shelby American. The last SDV event was in 2006.

The Shelby Bash event, currently put on by Shelby American, has been around since 2008 with the next one scheduled for March 2013.

All Shelby's are welcome at the Shelby Bash event. Ford, Dodge, Oldsmobile, heck even if you have a Shelby Donzi boat, bring it :)

Steve

• 6 months later...

So is SA going with some rigs and displays to SAAC-38 next week? Hope to see Gary, Jer and others and maybe some power toys on the track, like the Shelby 1000, Shelby Focus, Shelby Raptor and some Super Snakes and GT350s.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of great cars at the event. Open track time and the vintage races were a blast.

Here are 300+ pictures for those that could not make it there. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vj9n1h4zjrmwhom/Mxh76M2ifU

Here is the parade laps from Thursday.

Sorry I had to break it up into 2 parts.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtcabOZN2GY

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn0N1AH7E6g

Clarence

Archived