TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rattling from Gear Shift

I recently got a stock 2007 Shelby GT and I have noticed that under heavy acceleration (approx. greater than 4500) in second gear up to 6000 RPM that a rattling sound seems to be coming from the gear shift. I am not sure if this occurs in the top end of other gears as I usually go from 1st to 2nd to 5th. If someone could help me out and tell me if this is normal or abnormal I would really appreciate the help. If this question has already been asked I am sorry for the repeat. Again any help is appreciated.

Justin

I recently got a stock 2007 Shelby GT and I have noticed that under heavy acceleration (approx. greater than 4500) in second gear up to 6000 RPM that a rattling sound seems to be coming from the gear shift. I am not sure if this occurs in the top end of other gears as I usually go from 1st to 2nd to 5th. If someone could help me out and tell me if this is normal or abnormal I would really appreciate the help. If this question has already been asked I am sorry for the repeat. Again any help is appreciated.

Justin

Is your hand on the shifter?

I found the same noise on my 2010 GT500 when I first bought it. I realized that I was holding onto the shifter and *slightly* holding back on it. Once I discovered that, I pulled my hand off and never had the sound again (It was ME, not the trans/shifter/car)!

I didn't even realize I had the habit of doing that....

Phill

No my hand has not been on the gear shift. Me and a friend but just happened to hear a slightly noticeable rattle. At first I was not sure where it was coming from but I soon figured out that it seemed to be coming from the gear shift and when I did place my hand on it, a slight vibration could be felt. Is this something that I should get checked out or should I just stay away from the top end of the gears?

Justin

check your e brake handle mine rattle alittle bit. if its not that then somethings loose. id get under the car and check the shifter mounts.. mine were loose when i got the car. didnt figure it out till i reached up past the tranny and started checking things before a race last year.

this has been mentioned before here. i can t remember where but, searching should bring it up. someone said something about some adjustment screws on the shifter i think.

mine does it. i can just touch it with my hand it and it stops. but i get it in all gears but only under load.

1 finger, slight pressure and it stops.

i did my aluminum driveshaft install and while i was under there i checked the bolts i could reach and all seemed snug. so i so guess i need to do some research as i dont remember the exact fix.

i just did.. do you really think i can just lightly touch the shifter ball and stop that from hapening all the way down there? seems to me like its more direclty related to the shifter since i really truly can just rest the weight of my finger on it and it stops.. thanks for that info though and i found a link that has the full text of that tsb ill try to get underneath this weekend and see if that could have anyhting to do with it.

thank you!

Mine has been doing it in 4th gear under load...about 3000 rpms and up. I had the TSB done for the syncros from 2nd to 3rd by the Ford Dealer under warranty and just after that is when mine started. Just by coincedense, I had them check it today when I was in for a couple of routine items & tires and they said they heard no rattle....looks like I'll have to take them for a ride to show them since I can get it to happen on command.

It is a definite vibration of some sort.

I'll have to check out that other TSB....not sure what that one is or if it is for my vehicle year, etc.

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

The Hurst shifter linkage on the SGT has 3 o-rings on the shaft where the shifter connects to the linkage

Likely these are to dampen vibrations

Just wondering if the transmission was ever removed?

The o-rings can be challenging when you put everything back together and could be easily pinched & damaged if you're not not careful

I test drove a used SGT a couple of years ago, and the shifter not only vibrated it was sloppy loose

The used car salesman tried to tell me that was normal

He didn't know what to say when I told him not the case, because I owned one already

I test drove a used SGT a couple of years ago, and the shifter not only vibrated it was sloppy loose

The used car salesman tried to tell me that was normal

He didn't know what to say when I told him not the case, because I owned one already

HAHAHAAAAA

Archived