TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ever wonder where all those rocks go?

Husky44

Ever wonder where all the rocks go that you hear pinging off your wheel wells? I found them. It appears that they collect somehow inside the rocker panel.

WP_20121208_002.jpg

This is what I cleaned out of the back of one side. That's from 2900 miles. Alaska roads aren't the best, but they're not THAT bad. And no, I never drove it on a gravel road.

THIS is why I change my own oil, detail my own cars, etc. You never know what you'll discover when you're crawling around underneath it.

Ever wonder where all the rocks go that you hear pinging off your wheel wells? I found them. It appears that they collect somehow inside the rocker panel.

This is what I cleaned out of the back of one side. That's from 2900 miles. Alaska roads aren't the best, but they're not THAT bad. And no, I never drove it on a gravel road.

WOW!

THIS is why I change my own oil, detail my own cars, etc. You never know what you'll discover when you're crawling around underneath it.

+1!

Yep, I found the same thing on my 2010 when I decided to go after the alignment of the rear stone guard/flaps. Not to the same extent you had but I'm pretty carefull about driving my car on a road that hadn't been swept (after it snows they put "sand" down then sweep it back up to reuse it).

It's pretty simple to get them out but first you have to realize they are in there!

Phill

WP_20121208_002.jpg

This is a big wake-up call. Also, there is a similar thread on SVTP, on which a poster whose screen-name is "Snorman" posted pictures of his pock-marked rocker panels on his car -- which has only 1,300 miles. It was bad, really bad, and I would be furious if this happened to my $60,000+ car.

I ordered the stone guards from Shelby. I'm seriously considering the fullest clear paint protection I can get, too (Xpel, or something like that). Would probably be a good investment, considering the cost of the car and where I live (New Mexico).

I wish I would have had something like that when I first moved here 11 years ago. I was driving my Cobra on I-25 from Santa Fe to Albuquerque, and realized I was driving into a fairly strong headwind. It wasn't fierce like a dust storm or a sand storm (which are pretty common around here, and which I would have had the good sense not to drive my car in), but it was just windy enough to blow unseen sand into the air and into my path. I've got the results to prove it: You can't tell unless you're looking really close, but shining a Surefire flashlight onto the front of the car and the windshield reveals about 50 million little tiny chips that the blowing sand took out of the paint on every surface on the front of the car -- and the windshield. Evidently, those unseen airborne sand and dust particles can and will wreak havoc on our cars' finishes -- at least here in the Desert Southwest.

Rick

This is a big wake-up call. Also, there is a similar thread on SVTP, on which a poster whose screen-name is "Snorman" posted pictures of his pock-marked rocker panels on his car -- which has only 1,300 miles. It was bad, really bad, and I would be furious if this happened to my $60,000+ car.

I ordered the stone guards from Shelby. I'm seriously considering the fullest clear paint protection I can get, too (Xpel, or something like that). Would probably be a good investment, considering the cost of the car and where I live (New Mexico).

I wish I would have had something like that when I first moved here 11 years ago. I was driving my Cobra on I-25 from Santa Fe to Albuquerque, and realized I was driving into a fairly strong headwind. It wasn't fierce like a dust storm or a sand storm (which are pretty common around here, and which I would have had the good sense not to drive my car in), but it was just windy enough to blow unseen sand into the air and into my path. I've got the results to prove it: You can't tell unless you're looking really close, but shining a Surefire flashlight onto the front of the car and the windshield reveals about 50 million little tiny chips that the blowing sand took out of the paint on every surface on the front of the car -- and the windshield. Evidently, those unseen airborne sand and dust particles can and will wreak havoc on our cars' finishes -- at least here in the Desert Southwest.

Rick

FWIW, I saw Snorman's pcs. My car has no damage at all like that in 2900 miles of AK roads. So all of that gravel you see from my car got there without any damage to my paint. Not sure what damaged his car, but I would hazard a guess that we're dealing with two different issues...

Rick, Xpel Ultimate clear bra highly recommended.

Thanks. From their Web site, the only installer here in Albuquerque is a Mercedes Benz dealer. Might be expensive, but I assume they would do good work. I'll give them a call as my delivery date gets closer.

FWIW, I saw Snorman's pcs. My car has no damage at all like that in 2900 miles of AK roads. So all of that gravel you see from my car got there without any damage to my paint. Not sure what damaged his car, but I would hazard a guess that we're dealing with two different issues...

Yeah, I thought it kinda strange, too. If it's like that on the rocker panels, one wonders what the rest of the car looks like on close inspection. And one wonders what caused it.

I still would like to get some added protection for the paint, though, considering the cost of the car.

I tend to digress, but at my job in my company vehicle (currently, a 2010 Dodge Caravan), I do a lot of highway driving here in New Mexico, about 36,000 miles a year. I tend to go through at least one windshield a year. I don't tailgate the gravel trucks; I don't tailgate anyone, but the flying rocks do seem to find me. Case in point: I was driving to the airport in Durango, Colorado, to pick up a director of sales for an important meeting. In the passenger seat, I had the vice president of my company. It's a two-lane road to the airport. I wasn't doing anything wrong, just driving normal, when an 18-wheel gravel truck in the oncoming lane threw up a golf-ball size rock into my windshield as we passed. BAM! Scared the hell out both of us!

The point is, well, I don't know what the hell the point is. . . . Okay, windshields are replaceable. Factory paint jobs? Not so much, but it might be a good investment to do what one can to protect them. The fact that stuff happens that is completely out of our control -- and what can we do to prevent it? That's a question, to quote Dear Leader, that is "Above my pay grade."

I was driving on a freeway in Michigan when I started coming up on a huge gravel truck and the cars on the freway were zig-zagging all over like a bunch of drunks then pulling to the side of the road with big smashes in their windshields. As I approached the truck all of a sudden I was caught in a storm of small rocks. It seems the back gate of the trailer was bent and bowed out in the middle allowing the rock load to constantly pour out the opening while the truck was doing 70 MPH. I whipped my wheel as 1 inch rocks started belting my Saleen Extreme. I drove down into the median with two wheels on the shoulder and floored it to get around this guy. And believe it or not the driver was laughing maniacally like some possessed demon. He thought it was the funniest thing in the world that he had smashed at least 60 windshields and was hoping to wreck many more apparently. He is lucky somebody with a gun didn't get pissed off and drive along side of him and take him out permanetly. One crazy person. As it is it took a big chunk of paint off my carbon fiber hood.

Archived