TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Alcoa Wheels

Snoopy49

To all those that ordered the new Alcoa's, please check the back bead lip on your wheels and see if you have any scribed lettering. Someone actually scribed this on the back bead lip after the plating was applied.

If they had to mark the wheels, there are less damaging ways to do it. Acid etching would have been a better way to go.

Wheel #1

AlcoaScribedMarkings.jpg

Wheel #2

AlcoaScribedMarkings2.jpg

Some scratches or dings, on the back rim lip.

AlcoaGougesOnRim.jpg

I'm not concerned about it. It's a part number from Shelby, on the inside of the wheel. Not sure why they did it but I don't believe there will be any issues with it.

Nope, not our number, and not done by us.

I'll get the details, no worries.

Jer

Now I am confused, Jer. You stated earlier that your team was unboxing and inspecting each wheel and repacking them. Now you say this mark is not supposed to be there but yet no one who was inspecting these caught it.?

I never said "this mark is not supposed to be there". I just said it wasn't a Shelby number, and the inscription was not done here at Shelby.

Here is the info I just got from Alcoa:

"The etching on the inboard flange is necessary for traceability of the wheels if a quality issue arises. This is done prior to Dura-Bright® and there is no danger of corrosion because of the markings."

The dings are a different matter. Anyone with those can contact us if they would like to return them.

Jer

I never said "this mark is not supposed to be there". I just said it wasn't a Shelby number, and the inscription was not done here at Shelby.

Here is the info I just got from Alcoa:

"The etching on the inboard flange is necessary for traceability of the wheels if a quality issue arises. This is done prior to Dura-Bright® and there is no danger of corrosion because of the markings."

The dings are a different matter. Anyone with those can contact us if they would like to return them.

Jer

Someone needs to kick someones ass concerning the quality of the "etching". There is no reason for it being as bad as it is. A company as large as Alcoa should have the means to do a proper job of apply tracking information.

This is like having a high dollar paint job that was signed by the painter using an awl. How did this get past QA and why wasn't it mentioned in Shelby's advertisement? This is just shoddy workmanship on Alcoa's part.

Someone needs to kick someones ass concerning the quality of the "etching". There is no reason for it being as bad as it is. A company as large as Alcoa should have the means to do a proper job of apply tracking information.

This is like having a high dollar paint job that was signed by the painter using an awl. How did this get past QA and why wasn't it mentioned in Shelby's advertisement? This is just shoddy workmanship on Alcoa's part.

Simple answer. They don't care what you think???

Alcoa is doing this as a favor essentially, they didn't HAVE to make these. They make far more money with their OEM truck contracts. So doing it a different way would require more time and money that they didn't want to spend. It's kinda like ford and the mustang in general so I think this kind of thing is rather appropriate ironically given all the other short cuts taken.

No point argueing about since Jer isn't going to do anything about the etchings regardless. Now as far as your dings if you are going to powder coat the wheels thats fine, if you aren't i suggest you do what Jer said and return them for replacements.

I just got off the phone with Alcoa and was told the same thing that Jer posted. The story is, The "etching" in question is applied in the machine shop before the wheels are heat treated. It is the only way they can track the wheels until after the heat treat process and then the other information is roll stamped in the inside of the wheel. The Dura-Bright process is the last step, I mentioned that previous versions of these wheels weren't scribed and was told that it depends on the machine shop that was used. According to the QA guys at Alcoa, they do this on all their wheels. But I would still like to talk to the guy who came up with this procedure.

I was told to only use soap and water to clean the wheels and to "never" use any chemicals, chrome or aluminum polish.

Sorry if I went a little sideways, but it just struck me as being wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived