TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Extended Warranty

mikejaeggi

i know this is a relatively polarizing topic (much like ADM) which some people can get heated about. I've purchased extended warranties on vehicles in the past and got my money out of them. My quesiton is since my Shelby will be a fun toy and not my primary vehicle, I don't anticipate putting a lot of miles on it and thus not a lot of wear and tear. I know the standard waranty is based on years and mileage, whichever comes first so my warranty will expire before I reach those mileage plateus. any one out there get the extended warranty and what are the mileage/year terms?

I got an extended warranty. Though I got it for like 70% off. They probably still made money off of it. Mine is 7/100,000. But I drive mine every day and I will have it most likely for at least 5 years maybe more. I probably will replace it with a GTR by then, depends how much I am making then and how bad my condo wipes me out. If I were you I wouldn't get it. Just wait till after the 5 years since you are not driving it every day unless you know you will keep it for at least 5 years and are getting 60% off like me :). You can always get it after the 5 years is up.

Then after 5 years buy an extended warranty for the longest they offer and keep buying it everytime it runs out lol. You need to be covered for around 12 years then. Past that they won't be making parts for this car anymore and a warranty is pointless. So let the 5 years run out then get an extended 5 year warranty and call it a day. Or if you can get it cheaper buy a 10 year warranty if they offer it when you buy the car.

The car I traded in had a extended warranty on it. I asked them to transfer the money for that one towards the 500. They said it would be more money because of class of car and length of warranty. After some discussion they were able to transfer with a small increase by changing the term. I originally had 7yr 100,000 on original GT, transfered to the 500 is 7yr 36,000. This way I didn't have to pay much more and since it won't be driven much, I won't see that milage. Hope this makes sense, you may have options other then what they show up front.

Warrantys exist only because they are designed to most likely benefit the Warrantor...which is why I have never purchased one for any reason. I've never needed it either, so I've saved a bunch of $$!

I purchased the best one, (I believe they have 4 levels) and it covers everything for 7 years and 60,000 miles. I will not reach that many miles in 7 years but this only cost me $1,800. With the electronics package and so many electronic displays and gizmos on the car I believe it is well worth it. On my Saleen a tranmission input bearing went out and one repair covered the cost of my warranty. The peace of mind it deliveres for a vehicle that sits around so much rather than be driven daily is something that should not be under-rated. Underuse can also be very hard on a vehicle.

I purchased the best one, (I believe they have 4 levels) and it covers everything for 7 years and 45,000 miles. I will not reach that many miles in 7 years but this only cost me $1,800. With the electronics package and so many electronic displays and gizmos on the car I believe it is well worth it. On my Saleen a tranmission input bearing went out and one repair covered the cost of my warranty. The peace of mind it deliveres for a vehichle that sits around so much rather than be driven daily is something that should not be under-rated. Underuse can also be very hard on a vehicle.

^You really are paying for peace of mind. And for 1800 its completely worth it. The hassle of paying and doing everything yourself when or if something happens is just a horrible experience, I rather give my car to the dealership and say FIX IT lol

I purchased the best one, (I believe they have 4 levels) and it covers everything for 7 years and 45,000 miles. I will not reach that many miles in 7 years but this only cost me $1,800. With the electronics package and so many electronic displays and gizmos on the car I believe it is well worth it. On my Saleen a tranmission input bearing went out and one repair covered the cost of my warranty. The peace of mind it deliveres for a vehichle that sits around so much rather than be driven daily is something that should not be under-rated. Underuse can also be very hard on a vehicle.

good point, I didn't really think about what would happen if the Sync goes out or soemthing like that which is just as likely to happen regardless of miles driven

http://www.floodford...Submit=Continue

This is the best I've found anywhere, I chose the $50 deductible. Comes right in your email. The guy's name is Gardiner Reynolds.

In Florida, due to the laws governing insurance. An extended warranty is considered insurance, you have to pay list price. It's non negotiable and an out of state dealer can't sell it to you here because they're not licensed in this great state. Florida has informed this is for my protection. Reagan was right when said the scariest words out there are "We're form the government and we're here to ehlp you."

With that being said, my '13 vert is a daily driver and I put the Ford 6 year/60,000 mile warranty on her. On a side note, I also purchased the maintenance program as well. That I was able to purchase at cost. It covers oil changes every 5,000 miles, every scheduled maintenance item in the owner's manual as well as wiper blades, brake pads and clutch disc. That's right,a clutch disc. All for the price of 12 full synthetic oil changes.

In Florida, due to the laws governing insurance. An extended warranty is considered insurance, you have to pay list price. It's non negotiable and an out of state dealer can't sell it to you here because they're not licensed in this great state. Florida has informed this is for my protection. Reagan was right when said the scariest words out there are "We're form the government and we're here to ehlp you."

With that being said, my '13 vert is a daily driver and I put the Ford 6 year/60,000 mile warranty on her. On a side note, I also purchased the maintenance program as well. That I was able to purchase at cost. It covers oil changes every 5,000 miles, every scheduled maintenance item in the owner's manual as well as wiper blades, brake pads and clutch disc. That's right,a clutch disc. All for the price of 12 full synthetic oil changes.

Would you mind posting that? Not doubting you but I've done a ton of research and to my knowledge no Ford ESP warranty or maintenance program covers the clutch discs. . The clutch disc is not a normal maintenance item so I'm a little befuddled.

Would you mind posting that? Not doubting you but I've done a ton of research and to my knowledge no Ford ESP warranty or maintenance program covers the clutch discs. . The clutch disc is not a normal maintenance item so I'm a little befuddled.

Sure, here's the link right to Ford's site. http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/ESPPremMaintDetail Third item down on the 6 "Normal Wear Items" list - Clutch disc. It also covers spark plugs, which in our owner's manual states are to be changed every 45,000 miles. Air filter every 15k, cabin filter every 20k, etc. This plan is a no brainer for anybody driving their GT500 alot and putting on miles. Probably a waste of money for the guys that just drive them on nice weekends though.

Also, if you do purchase this plan, you need to specify the Synthetic Oil option. Otherwise it won't cover it under your scheduled oil changes.

Sure, here's the link right to Ford's site. http://owner.ford.co...PremMaintDetail Third item down on the 6 "Normal Wear Items" list - Clutch disc. It also covers spark plugs, which in our owner's manual states are to be changed every 45,000 miles. Air filter every 15k, cabin filter every 20k, etc. This plan is a no brainer for anybody driving their GT500 alot and putting on miles. Probably a waste of money for the guys that just drive them on nice weekends though.

Also, if you do purchase this plan, you need to specify the Synthetic Oil option. Otherwise it won't cover it under your scheduled oil changes.

Wow learn something new every day. I do my own maintenance but the clutch alone would be worth it considering it's about a $3k job at the dealer.

Wow learn something new every day. I do my own maintenance but the clutch alone would be worth it considering it's about a $3k job at the dealer.

Absolutely; but, I don't think it will pay for a pressure plate, throw out bearing, or flywheel. I believe it just covers the clutch disc and labor. And for the price of the maintenance plan, if you use Ford oil and filter, I wonder if your dealer wouldn't give you the parts over the counter and still run the paperwork thru service. Just a thought.

Archived