TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What Tires are Going On Your New Alcoa Wheels?

frank bullitt

For our GT500's, if you were to run 20" x 9" Alcoas on all four corners, what would be the best tire size to use? I would like to use 275/35/20 Michelin Pilot Super Sports (MPSS) but worry they will rub the rear fenders (because members have said that a 295/35/20 will rub on the rear on a 10" Alcoa and the amount of bulge would be similar?). I could run 265/35/20 MPSS, but I want to make sure I have a decent amount tire to protect the rim edge and fill out the rim. I have also looked into 265/40/20's but they may be a bit tall to use? Any suggestions, especially with pictures, would be greatly apprecited. I really just pleasure cruise and cross country tour with our Shelby, so wide tires, etc. don't interest me much. I really want a nice tire for fitment and would rather have the ability to rotate tires and also carry a spare in the trunk in case of an emergency instead of all straight line traction. Thanks guys!!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For our GT500's, if you were to run 20" x 9" Alcoas on all four corners, what would be the best tire size to use? I would like to use 275/35/20 Michelin Pilot Super Sports (MPSS) but worry they will rub the rear fenders (because members have said that a 295/35/20 will rub on the rear on a 10" Alcoa and the amount of bulge would be similar?). I could run 265/35/20 MPSS, but I want to make sure I have a decent amount tire to protect the rim edge and fill out the rim. I have also looked into 265/40/20's but they may be a bit tall to use? Any suggestions, especially with pictures, would be greatly apprecited. I really just pleasure cruise and cross country tour with our Shelby, so wide tires, etc. don't interest me much. I really want a nice tire for fitment and would rather have the ability to rotate tires and also carry a spare in the trunk in case of an emergency instead of all straight line traction. Thanks guys!!

The 275's are about as big as you want on a 9'' rim. I'm not sure about the clearance on the 275's up front but you would have no problem on the rear. I have 285's on the rear of my car with 10'' rims and 255's on the front with 9'' rims with plenty of clearance. My car is a Shelby GT so i don't believe you will have any clearance problems as my car is lowered 1 and 1/2 in.from Shelby.If you are going to rotate then the 265's would be a good size to use and with the michelin's you would have as good of traction as say a Nitto in 285's.If you can pull up my gallery then you will see my car with 255's and 285's. Good Luck.

No sir. Made one trip to Church on them and removed immediately. 285/35 and they look really nice, I'm quite happy with them.

Thanks for the update! I'm still in the researching (reading, guessing and asking) phase. Last year at this time our temps were in the upper 70s and low 80s. This year upper 20s and low 30s. I still have some time before getting mine out since mid November. Even then I may want to see some in person before I make the purchase. I don't really want to be experimenting with $1500 worth of tires!

Those look awesome Acroholic!!! There is nothing nicer than a highly polished wheel on a black vehicle in my opinion! Just out of curiosity, could you take a few pics of the 275/35/20 on the 9" wheel so we could see what it looks like? I am thinking about running 9" Alcoas all the way around and would run that size MPSS tires as well. Does the 295/35/20 MPSS have about the same "overhang" on the 10" wheel as the 275/35/20 does on the 9" wheel? Any rubbing issues on the front or rear wheels? Pics would help a bunch!!! Thanks!!

Acroholic,

I think your car looks great with those wheels and tire sizes. The larger tires on the rear seem to take up the extra wheel well space very nicely. I too am interested in hearing how the clearance is on stock suspension and if the 295's result in any rubbing. Please keep us posted! Again, VERY NICE!!!

I just had my Alcoas put on my GT500 today. Michelin Pilot Super Sport 275/35/20s up front and 295/35/20s on the rear. Stock suspension.

CIMG5207_zpsee54d5e6.jpg

I'd also like to see a picture looking down at the tire/ wheel to see the bulge. Thinking of going with the same setup but widening the rear to 11.5 to pull the sidewall back. Then probably lower it on fr springs. Was thinking of leaving it stock but not sure. A class did rub with that tire on a 10 rim but that was lowered. Might not if the rim was wider though.

I'd also like to see a picture looking down at the tire/ wheel to see the bulge. Thinking of going with the same setup but widening the rear to 11.5 to pull the sidewall back. Then probably lower it on fr springs. Was thinking of leaving it stock but not sure. A class did rub with that tire on a 10 rim but that was lowered. Might not if the rim was wider though.

Those look awesome Acroholic!!! There is nothing nicer than a highly polished wheel on a black vehicle in my opinion! Just out of curiosity, could you take a few pics of the 275/35/20 on the 9" wheel so we could see what it looks like? I am thinking about running 9" Alcoas all the way around and would run that size MPSS tires as well. Does the 295/35/20 MPSS have about the same "overhang" on the 10" wheel as the 275/35/20 does on the 9" wheel? Any rubbing issues on the front or rear wheels? Pics would help a bunch!!! Thanks!!

Guys,

I will try to take some pictures tomorrow looking down at the wheels. I have the rears balanced now that the adjustable panhard bar is installed. There was no rubbing, except for an an edge of the front passenger tire on the Jaeger Brothers mud flap I installed. I removed the flap and Dremeled the rubbing area and it is great. Fronts can turn lock to lock without any rubbing. No rubbing of the rears either. There would have been no rubbing if I hadn't had the Jaeger flap installed.

Thanks Acroholic! Can't wait to see the pictures. I am really curious if the 275 on the 9" rim extends out beyond the rim to the point where it would rub on a rear fender like members say a 295 on a 10" rim does.

Is anyone running MPSS Tiers 285/35 on the rears of a 2007-2009 with lowered suspension?

I have been all over the forum but haven't seen this tire size on a lowered car.

I'm running 285x30x20's on the rear of my GT/SC with no issues.I have these on 10'' cs 40's. You can look at my gallery if you like.

Thanks Acroholic! Can't wait to see the pictures. I am really curious if the 275 on the 9" rim extends out beyond the rim to the point where it would rub on a rear fender like members say a 295 on a 10" rim does.

Same here, bump for a picture! :)

I am running 275's on the front and 295's on the rear. My car is lowered with Steeda Sport springs, and I have had rubbing one time only, and that was really a big dip in the road. Left a little black mark on the inside edge of the wheel well, at the top. Of course no one rides in the back, and I have a minimum amount of weight in the trunk too. I love the look though.

I am running 275's on the front and 295's on the rear. My car is lowered with Steeda Sport springs, and I have had rubbing one time only, and that was really a big dip in the road. Left a little black mark on the inside edge of the wheel well, at the top. Of course no one rides in the back, and I have a minimum amount of weight in the trunk too. I love the look though.

I'm going to try the same tires. I hope that widening the rear to 11.5 though keeps it pulled back from rubbing.

I just switched to the Michelins as well, 275/35 and 295/35. So far no rubbing at all, I can imagine at full compression there might be some. I don't have any plans to lower the car anyway.

IMG_20201_zps44757509.jpg

I just switched to the Michelins as well, 275/35 and 295/35. So far no rubbing at all, I can imagine at full compression there might be some. I don't have any plans to lower the car anyway.

IMG_20201_zps44757509.jpg

Looks like you have the perf pack. Is that lower in the back then the base model? Could you do me a favor and take a pic from the side and then measure the distance from the ground to the top of the rear wheel arch?

The taller tire helps fill the gap and I'm thinking about not lowering too since mine is a daily driver and it would make getting in and out of the driveway and work parking garage a pain. I am doing a widened rear 11.5 alcoa though which should help pull back the side wall.

Thanks in advance!

These wheels have been a real pain in my ass lately. I went to get them installed last week and the tire place said the wheels won't bolt up. I thought that was odd since I had a set on my old 2012 gt500. I went down the check it out and the wheels didn't seem to mount up very well. They had a lot of wobble to it even though it was centered. All 4 wheels was like this. I told them to put the old wheels back on and took the wheels home. I emailed Shelby but they never heard of anyone having this problem. A local buddy has a 2012 gt500 so I took a couple of the wheels over to test them. They fit like a glove... This threw me for a loop. I have no measurements but I think the center ring on the hub is raised a little higher or wider on the 2013. I have no proof to back it up. I took a chance and bolted them on myself. I got the wheels centered the best I could and started bolting them on. After that I took a feeler gauge to make sure they was flush. No gap at all. I took it for a spin on the highway and it was smooth as butter. Way better than my old wheels. The last couple days I've been going back and re-torquing the lugs and double checking the gap. Everything appears fine. I'm curious if anyone else had this problem on their 13?

Could a team member take a few pics of a 275/35/20 on a 9" Alcoa wheel so we could see what it looks like? I am thinking about running 9" Alcoas on all four corners and would run 275's MPSS tires. I am concerned that since the 295/35/20 MPSS have too much "overhang" on the 10" wheel and rubs on the rear fenders (according to some members), would the 275/35/20 on a 9" wheel do the same? Thanks!

Archived