TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What Tires are Going On Your New Alcoa Wheels?

frank bullitt

Apparently someone said that a 35 with a lowered car rubs the fender.

Someone wasnt kidding. Drove my car at highway speeds today and it rubs on nearly all of the bridges and hard bumps. Dont make the same mistake I've made and put 295/35's on your lowered 2012 and Alcoa wheels. My garage is starting to look like a tire store. I'm spending the day performing tire research to see if a 285 will be okay.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone wasnt kidding. Drove my car at highway speeds today and it rubs on nearly all of the bridges and hard bumps. Dont make the same mistake I've made and put 295/35's on your lowered 2012 and Alcoa wheels. My garage is starting to look like a tire store. I'm spending the day performing tire research to see if a 285 will be okay.

How about the 275's on the front? Any issues with the 275/35 lock to lock?

Year and Model: 2009 GT500 Convertible

Factory Suspension or Lowered: Factory

Alcoa Size Front / Rear: 9/10

Tire Brand: Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Tire Size: Shelby recommended 275/35/20 rear, 255/35/20 front

Cost: $1450 out the door - (prices have come down on these, they were $200 more recently)

Tire Supplier: Discount Tire (Meadows/Stafford location in SW Houston) They understood the value of the wheels and took great care in mounting and balancing (I specifically asked for their best installer)

First impressions: It was cold with a light mist so didn't get to fully test them on the way home but overall ride was stiffer over Goodyear's and handling seemed much improved. Ready to get them out on a warmer day for a full test.

Anybody ever buy from Performance Tread? http://www.performancetread.com/checkout/cart/ Same set up as above for $1,321.00 shipped. Seems like a great price.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you thought about having the 275/35 on the 10" rim up front and then widening the 9" rim to 11.5" and keep the 295? That way you keep a rake in the tire diameter front to back, keep more sidewall vs a 30 series and get a wider contact patch in the rear to improve traction over a 285? The cost is steep at $700 but might be worth it given you've already bought the tires. This is the setup that I'm going to probably give a shot here in the upcoming months.

Anybody ever buy from Performance Tread? http://www.performan.../checkout/cart/ Same set up as above for $1,321.00 shipped. Seems like a great price.

That is a good price but by the time you order them, wait for them to be shipped (hope there is no problem where you have to return one), take them over and get them mounted and balanced, you are probably better off getting them locally with the very small savings you might see. I would take the price to a local shop to see if they can mat ch it or come close to avoid the order hassle.

Here is my choice. I ended up taking the price to a local tire shop I've worked with and they are getting close in price to the discount places. New wheels & tires will be going on sometime in April:

Year and Model: 2007 SGT

Factory Suspension or Lowered: Lowered

Alcoa Size Front / Rear: 20x9/20x10

Tire Size: 255/35/20 front and 275/35/20 rear

Cost: about $1,500

Tire Supplier: Linder Tire (local)

Here is my choice. I ended up taking the price to a local tire shop I've worked with and they are getting close in price to the discount places. New wheels & tires will be going on sometime in April:

Year and Model: 2007 SGT

Factory Suspension or Lowered: Lowered

Alcoa Size Front / Rear: 20x9/20x10

Tire Size: 255/35/20 front and 275/35/20 rear

Cost: about $1,500

Tire Supplier: Linder Tire (local)

Nice.

Jer

sweet set up Dave, cant wait to see it in Carlisle! :salute:

Yes, much to my wife's disapproval I've been collecting a few parts over the winter. I hope to have everything installed in time for Carlisle. Along with the Alcoa's and rubber a few other goodies.

Shelby Kicker Sound System

Tokico D-Spec Adjustible Shocks & Struts w/ upgraded strut mounts.

Steeda Billet Lower control arms

Some assorted under the hood billet dress up.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

With the final sale today I guess its time to bring this thread back.

Year and Model: 2008 GT500

Factory or Lower Susp: Lowered on Eibach Sport Springs

Alcoa Front/Rear Size: 9" Front, 9" Rear to be widened to 11.5"

Tire Brand: Michelin Super Sports (Front) / Toyo R888's (Rear)

Tire Size: 265/35/r20 (Front) / 315/30/r20 (Rear)

Cost: $1,620 (Tire Rack)

I haven't ordered the tires yet but priced them out. Anyone else running a 265/35 up front on a 9" rim? Think this would be a good combo because there is only 0.1" difference in diameter front to rear with the rear being a little taller than the front. Just not 100% sure if the 265 would be too wide on the 9" rim.

I haven't ordered the tires yet but priced them out. Anyone else running a 265/35 up front on a 9" rim? Think this would be a good combo because there is only 0.1" difference in diameter front to rear with the rear being a little taller than the front. Just not 100% sure if the 265 would be too wide on the 9" rim.

265'S should fit just fine on 9'' wheels. You can actually fit 275's on 9'' wheels and that is what i will probably do with the 9'' alcoa's i just purchased.I have 255's on the front of my GT/SC now with no problems. The 265's will be 0.39 inches wider on 265's and 0.27 inches in diameter compared to 255's Good luck.

The 265's should work out just fine. My 40th runs 255/275's, all on 9" Razors.

Are you sure those 315's are going to fit w/the Eibach springs? I understand from the research I've done that if you stretch them far enough they will fit. I think people were recommending a 12' rim (for the Alcoa's and 315's).

Im not 100% sure yet. I may need to cut my bump stop bracket to make them fit. Some guys have also used 1/8" spacers for a little extra clearance. Im going to research that before i send them out to get widened. Good news is the toyo r888s are only .4" larger in diameter than the stock tire. I know i wouldnt be able to get a 35 aspect ratio tire back there.

:

The 265's should work out just fine. My 40th runs 255/275's, all on 9" Razors.

Are you sure those 315's are going to fit w/the Eibach springs? I understand from the research I've done that if you stretch them far enough they will fit. I think people were recommending a 12' rim (for the Alcoa's and 315's).

Im not 100% sure yet. I may need to cut my bump stop bracket to make them fit. Some guys have also used 1/8" spacers for a little extra clearance. Im going to research that before i send them out to get widened. Good news is the toyo r888s are only .4" larger in diameter than the stock tire. I know i wouldnt be able to get a 35 aspect ratio tire back there.

I believe that the problem with the 315's on a dropped car is not so much the inside dimensions of the wheel but the tire hitting the fender lip with additional passengers and/or when hitting bumps due to the screwy offset of the Alcoa's. What I had read to circumvent that was to stretch the tire wider thereby tucking the tread area inside the lip (at least that's the way I understood it).

Is anyone running a 295/30 or 35 on the rears of a factory suspension 2010-2013? I see that it rubs on lowered suspension, but I haven't seen anyone comment yet if it rubs on factory. Thanks.

Rob

Is anyone running a 295/30 or 35 on the rears of a factory suspension 2010-2013? I see that it rubs on lowered suspension, but I haven't seen anyone comment yet if it rubs on factory. Thanks.

Rob

It doesn't appear to be a problem, unless you have passengers in the rear seats.

I ordered 4 20x10's but the more I look at tire listings, I'm not really happy with what will fit and whats available. I think I'm just going to wait until the BFG Rival comes out. I can get a 265 front and 285 back with 200 treadwear.

Do you want to trade two or your 10s for two 9s? I'd pay the diff and shipping.

Rob

I am running a 295/30/20 Toyo on mine, suspension is stock. I have no issues at all with rubbing.

Do you want to trade two or your 10s for two 9s? I'd pay the diff and shipping.

I'm going to keep the 10s. Ive been on the short end on shipping mishaps and don't want to risk it with these wheels. I'll just have to wait for the tires I want to be available.

I'm going to keep the 10s. Ive been on the short end on shipping mishaps and don't want to risk it with these wheels. I'll just have to wait for the tires I want to be available.

That's understandable. While they cannot be replaced they can be repaired, which shipping insurance would cover us. I was also thinking that if mine showed up to you with damage then I'd ship yours back and vice versa if we didn't want to have a repaired rim. That and I'd add extra bubble wrap and cardboard to the front of the rim.

Let me know if you change your mind and we can talk via phone to get more comfortable with each other. Grabber would vouch for my trustworthiness.

I am running 10" Alcoa's on the front and rear. Michellin Pilot Super Sports 275-35-20 frt and originally Super Sports 295-35-20 rear. Great traction (about 640hp to the ground) threw second gear. Way better than the F-1's. I took off the rears and went with the 285's as I didn't like the look, filled up the wheel well too much for my liking.

I didnt have any rubbing issues with lowered car FRPP Suspension but I liked the look of the 285's better. Traction about the same. I would like to sell the 295's if anyone is interested. I had them posted for $500.00 for the pair a few months ago and still have them. They are perfect with ony 50 miles on them. These are the 105 load index tires which list's on Tire Rack for over $400.00 ea. PM if anyone is interested. I can also post some pictures if wanted, mounted on the car for comparison

Ted

Do you still have the tirs for sale?

Archived